Amida Brimah (Mixtape) | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah (Mixtape)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that......

Lots to work with for the staff there like it.......some #'s and a little footwork and he'll be a gem. Can't teach that length

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The kid is pretty raw. Not sure he can make an immediate impact in our frontcourt next year. I still think he'd be behind Olander, Nolan, Wolf (if he returns), and Facey (who's game looks a little more refined).

I see a lot of raw, Thabeet-like habits in the video above:
-Tipping rebounds to himself (that works against 5foot white guys, but not in college). Gotta grab it with 2 hands.
-Receiving passes high and bringing the ball down instead of keeping it up high.
-Putting his arms up when he's anticipating to block a shot. Just keep em straight up all the time and move your feet or you will get called for fouls all day doing that in college.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but just making observations. I like the kids strength and willingness to back into his man. And he's got a pretty nice touch on the ball for a big guy.
He's a project, but looks like he will contribute in a few years. As Mau said, you can't teach that length.

Reaction Score
The kid is pretty raw. Not sure he can make an immediate impact in our frontcourt next year. I still think he'd be behind Olander, Nolan, Wolf (if he returns), and Facey (who's game looks a little more refined).

-Tipping rebounds to himself (that works against 5foot white guys, but not in college). Gotta grab it with 2 hands.
-Receiving passes high and bringing the ball down instead of keeping it up high.
-Putting his arms up when he's anticipating to block a shot. Just keep em straight up all the time and move your feet or you will get called for fouls all day doing that in college.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but just making observations. I like the kids strength and willingness to back into his man. And he's got a pretty nice touch on the ball for a big guy.
He's a project, but looks like he will contribute in a few years. As Mau said, you can't teach that length.
I think you are being overly critical, this kid has future stud written all over him. His wingspan is absolutely enormous and he runs the court very well for someone his size. What I really like about him is his aggressiveness around the rim, sometimes young big man have to be taught to be aggressive and it doesn't come naturally. The move at 2:50 was bigtime. Clearly he needs to add weight and strength but he is a diamond to work with, he will definitely contribute next year and could be a monster in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
Can't teach that length

Combined with his athleticism. He needs to get stronger, but I can see him with the potential to be between Gourgi Dieng and Thabeet. He could also be a lot less than that. Can't wait to see how he develops for us!

Reaction Score
He dunks everything and runs the floor like a gazelle. Also goes after blocks maniacally. I have very low expectations for his offensive low post contributions, but rim protecting always translates. Hell see the floor

Reaction Score

Raw he is. He is what, 17, 18 years old? And relatively new to the game. He's got a long way to go, but he possesses insane length, is very tall, athletic and runs the floor well. Hopefully our coaching staff can develop him. There is big time upside here.

Reaction Score
He dunks everything and runs the floor like a gazelle. Also goes after blocks maniacally. I have very low expectations for his offensive low post contributions, but rim protecting always translates. Hell see the floor

^ This.

Reaction Score
I am sorry but the fact he does "tip the ball to himself" is a great thing. Good natural reaction to a rebound you can not get full control of...........Jay Murphy made a living of tapping the ball to himself throughout his BE career at BC as he never got real big until after college, but he was long and it was an art!!! I love that..............

Reaction Score
I am sorry but the fact he does "tip the ball to himself" is a great thing. Good natural reaction to a rebound you can not get full control of...........Jay Murphy made a living of tapping the ball to himself throughout his BE career at BC as he never got real big until after college, but he was long and it was an art!!! I love that..............

Also, in watching the video, he seems to keep the ball above his head, as opposed to bringing it down, more often than not.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I want to go record and say unless nolan develops an offensive game then brima will be our best big next year

Reaction Score
I want to go record and say unless nolan develops an offensive game then brima will be our best big next year

You're comparing a high school kid playing against 5-9 power forwards to a kid finding his way in the Big East.

Reaction Score
It's a highlight video people. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel looked like Scottie Pippen in his high school mix tapes.

Brimah is really, really raw offensively. And, believe it or not, it's pretty easy for 6'11'' kids to block shots in high school.

I'm not saying he won't be good for us, but he is not less of a project than Wolf, Olander, and Nolan were as freshman. To suggest that he will be better than those guys next year is really jumping the gun.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You're comparing a high school kid playing against 5-9 power forwards to a kid finding his way in the Big East.
then maybe we shouldn't have recruited him. why would we if that was his competition?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
plus we have no bigs, so it wont be hard to take the title of best big on the roster.

Reaction Score
Nolan is actually good. My only issue with him is his lack of defensive knowledge on rotations and HELP. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel never looked like Scottie pippen lmao. Listen these are highlights but he runs the floor insanely well. I'm not looking at post moves. like he is a fluid 6 11 kid. If he comes in for 12 minutes/game and just goes insane that's a plus.

Reaction Score
What is very impressive is that he almost never puts the ball on the floor. He has been taught well. So many young players have to take that one dribble to gather themselves. He does not.
Excellent timing in blocking shots. The one problem is that the competition doesn't look too strong.

Reaction Score
It's a highlight video people. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel looked like Scottie Pippen in his high school mix tapes.

Brimah is really, really raw offensively. And, believe it or not, it's pretty easy for 6'11'' kids to block shots in high school.

I'm not saying he won't be good for us, but he is not less of a project than Wolf, Olander, and Nolan were as freshman. To suggest that he will be better than those guys next year is really jumping the gun.

Agreed. EVERYONE looks great in their videos. They certainly don't show poor play in those videos.

I said this last week but Brimah is extremely raw offensively and extremely thin. Most of his baskets are dunks or point blank shots, even in high school. He won't get so many of them next year. Stronger guys will push him away from the hoop. I'm thinking most of his baskets next year will be in similar variety, offensive put backs & passes to him near the rim. He does have a great reach, though it's tough to tell when you see him playing against players like 6" shorter than him. He does seem to be quick for his size & athletic enough. All UConn needs him to do is rebound & block shots. As far as his rep coming in, I believe Olander & Nolan were higher ranked coming in. You can't teach quickness or athletic ability though. Brimah has that. He's almost a taller Kentan Facey, but Facey can hit a few jump shots. Should be interesting next year. 2 incoming skinny shot blockers. Maybe another Top Shotblocking team?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Doesn't have to find his way in the big east, just the American 12! Could be an impact player against the likes of Tulane, etc

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't usually get too excited over mix tapes but I have to say, that was impressive. He's very athletic, runs the floor, moves his feet well, has great hands, and gives real effort on the rebounding side - everything we've been lacking in recent years. Look at his moves in the lane and the way he plays the pick and roll. What big man have we had that can do that? I'm very excited to have him on board.

Reaction Score
Shabazz and Boat will find a way to dump it to him for slams. He reminds me of Dieng on Louiville. Could be a great 4 year player.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
The kid looks like a beast in that video and I can't wait to see him in UCONN Blue!!!

I'm not trying to take anything way from Brimah but didn't the other teams look like they were vertically challenged? There is more height on the Port Chester middle school team!

Reaction Score
Level of competition is obviously terrible. Looked like he was playing against me and my friends. But we've all seen guys way more raw than that. Looks like a legit pickup, and a way late in the 2013 game.

Come back shabazz, we've got a big run in us next year and with some front court guys that will be ready by march

Reaction Score
Im sure he is raw. However, he displays pretty good knowledge of leverage in those videos and is Donnelly long and willing to get dirty rebounding. I'll take it and see where he goes from here

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

Reaction Score
He's playing against a bunch of oompa loompas but I still like his game better than Chukwu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom