American Power Rankings topped by Cincy, Navy, UCF -UCONN last | The Boneyard

American Power Rankings topped by Cincy, Navy, UCF -UCONN last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. :) I just like when other teams may not take us seriously.

It's worked in the past. Steve Spurrier had no respect for UCONN in 2009. I remember talking to Twyon Martin after the game and him laughing and saying it was the first time in his career that the film lied. The film said that South Carolina was a good team.

That's when we were good. At this point, we are the cupcake on everybody's schedule and until they coaches and players change that. It can be an advantage, but it's not an advantage you want to last very long.

Reaction Score
It's worked in the past. Steve Spurrier had no respect for UCONN in 2009. I remember talking to Twyon Martin after the game and him laughing and saying it was the first time in his career that the film lied. The film said that South Carolina was a good team.

That's when we were good. At this point, we are the cupcake on everybody's schedule and until they coaches and players change that. It can be an advantage, but it's not an advantage you want to last very long.

Every SC fan I interacted with thought that game was going to be a walk in the park. I think their players felt exactly the same way. They had the trophy wrapped, engraved, and on the way to campus before warmups. All I could tell them before the game was "I think you're going to be surprised, we're better than you think".

Reaction Score
There's no reason for anyone outside of Storrs to go out on a limb and predict more than 2 wins and last place. We all know what happened last year. Fortunately, what happened last year doesn't determine what happens this year. I know we have a tough schedule, but this program needs 5-6 wins badly. We need to upset some teams. If these young guys are going to challenge for conference championships in 2-3 years, they need to learn how to win tough games now while they can sneak up on teams. Two wins would be a total disaster, even though it wouldn't be that surprising.

Reaction Score
There's no reason for anyone outside of Storrs to go out on a limb and predict more than 2 wins and last place. We all know what happened last year. Fortunately, what happened last year doesn't determine what happens this year. I know we have a tough schedule, but this program needs 5-6 wins badly. We need to upset some teams. If these young guys are going to challenge for conference championships in 2-3 years, they need to learn how to win tough games now while they can sneak up on teams. Two wins would be a total disaster, even though it wouldn't be that surprising.

It all starts with Villanova at home in September. If we cannot dictate the game to them we are in for a long road, and I agree with you 100%, there is only so much rebuilding you can do, and so far you can get, before you need to actually start showing tangible results in the form of winning games. Got to protect that home field.

Reaction Score
They looked excited at the Dog House Party. Hope the party continues on to Sept. and throughout the season!

Reaction Score
It all starts with Villanova at home in September. If we cannot dictate the game to them we are in for a long road, and I agree with you 100%, there is only so much rebuilding you can do, and so far you can get, before you need to actually start showing tangible results in the form of winning games. Got to protect that home field.
I agree 100%. If rebuilding goes on too long it becomes a permanent condition and 2 seasons become 4 and 4 becomes 10 and the next thing you know you're Rutgers between 1985-2005, year after year of futility. We are heading for year 5 so somebody had best stop the slide soon.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. If rebuilding goes on too long it becomes a permanent condition and 2 seasons become 4 and 4 becomes 10 and the next thing you know you're Rutgers between 1985-2005, year after year of futility. We are heading for year 5 so somebody had best stop the slide soon.

What Memphis did last year under Justin Fuentes in his 3rd year should be encouraging to UCONN fans especially if you
compare UCONN's record of the last 7 years to Memphis. I know this is only Diaco's second year and although UCONN lost to Memphis 41-10 in 2014, UCONN won by a similar margin 45-10 under TJ in 2013. As bad as UCONN was, Memphis was actually the same in 2013 and worse every year prior! Memphis tied for the AAC championship last year which prompted expansion talk about Memphis going to the Big 12 with Cincy. Not saying the same thing will happen to UCONN this year but again, Memphis' dramatic turnaround should be encouraging to UCONN fans.

MEMPHIS UCONN
YEAR W L W L
2014 10-3 2-10
2013 3-9 3-9
2012 4-8 5-7
2011 2-10 5-7
2010 1-11 8-5
2009 2-10 8-5
2008 6-7 8-5
TOTALS 28-58 39-48

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think all the people picking Navy high will get a lesson in how playing a legitimate schedule week to week impacts a team.

People are way too high on Navy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What Memphis did last year under Justin Fuentes in his 3rd year should be encouraging to UCONN fans especially if you
compare UCONN's record of the last 7 years to Memphis. I know this is only Diaco's second year and although UCONN lost to Memphis 41-10 in 2014, UCONN won by a similar margin 45-10 under TJ in 2013. As bad as UCONN was, Memphis was actually the same in 2013 and worse every year prior! Memphis tied for the AAC championship last year which prompted expansion talk about Memphis going to the Big 12 with Cincy. Not saying the same thing will happen to UCONN this year but again, Memphis' dramatic turnaround should be encouraging to UCONN fans.

MEMPHIS UCONN
YEAR W L W L
2014 10-3 2-10
2013 3-9 3-9
2012 4-8 5-7
2011 2-10 5-7
2010 1-11 8-5
2009 2-10 8-5
2008 6-7 8-5
TOTALS 28-58 39-48

This is probably a post to save for next year. Even though they were one game worse in 2013, Memphis was a lot better than they were in 2012. Yes, I'm fully aware they didn't show up at Rentschler at the end of the season.

UConn can be light years better in 2015 than 2014 and still go 3-9 or 4-8. The schedule is harder and they need to go from getting blown out to being competitive.

Calling for a huge leap this year is only going to lead to disappointment - if Diaco is what you think he is you'll see a better team in 2015 but it probably won't translate to the win total.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
No one will take us seriously until we do something.

The last image people have of us is from early December: losing to an 0-11 SMU team with 5,000 fans at the game.

Reaction Score
This is probably a post to save for next year. Even though they were one game worse in 2013, Memphis was a lot better than they were in 2012. Yes, I'm fully aware they didn't show up at Rentschler at the end of the season.

UConn can be light years better in 2015 than 2014 and still go 3-9 or 4-8. The schedule is harder and they need to go from getting blown out to being competitive.

Calling for a huge leap this year is only going to lead to disappointment - if Diaco is what you think he is you'll see a better team in 2015 but it probably won't translate to the win total.[/QUOTE]

Bringing encouragement or cautious optimism is not a bad thing. In the post, I stated that it wasn't necessarily happening next year but Memphis's turn-around should be encouraging.
I hope that Bob Diaco and staff are not sending a message to the team that 3-9 or 4-8 would be acceptable. I didn't predict a huge flip this year, I only pointed out Memphis's accomplishment as an example that anything is possible.

Do you think Vince Lombardi would be telling the team, I will be happy if we go 3-9 next year?
image.jpg

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bringing encouragement or cautious optimism is not a bad thing. In the post, I stated that it wasn't necessarily happening next year but Memphis's turn-around should be encouraging.
I hope that Bob Diaco and staff are not sending a message to the team that 3-9 or 4-8 would be acceptable. I didn't predict a huge flip this year, I only pointed out Memphis's accomplishment as an example that anything is possible.

Do you think Vince Lombardi would be telling the team, I will be happy if we go 3-9 next year?
View attachment 9476

Yes Carl, the expecations of fans and message board posters is the same as what the coach expects and communicates to the team.

Solid analogy there.

You just deal in blind hope - which is fine except you don't seem to realize it.

Reaction Score
Yes Carl, the expecations of fans and message board posters is the same as what the coach expects and communicates to the team.

Solid analogy there.

You just deal in blind hope - which is fine except you don't seem to realize it.

My blind hope has done quite well based on my personal success and life accomplishments.

Here is another of my favorite positive thinkers that may help you.

"Before success comes in any man's life, he's sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and the most logical thing to do is to quit. That's exactly what the majority of men do."

Napoleon Hill

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My blind hope has done quite well based on my personal success and life accomplishments.

Here is another of my favorite positive thinkers that may help you.

"Before success comes in any man's life, he's sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and the most logical thing to do is to quit. That's exactly what the majority of men do."

Napoleon Hill

I don't need any help thanks. With anything really, ever. And certainly not from someone who would think a worthless quote constitutes 'help'.

Reaction Score
I don't need any help thanks. With anything really, ever. And certainly not from someone who would think a worthless quote constitutes 'help'.

Saying Napoleon Hill's philosophy is worthless speaks volumes. Funny, I get help and support from many people in my life. Frankly, that's what teamwork is all about. No man is an island.

I have studied motivational speakers my whole life. Here is another of my favorites, Earl Nightingale. I especially like this as it pertains to your cheery posts:

image.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Saying Napoleon Hill's philosophy is worthless speaks volumes. Funny, I get help and support from many people in my life. Frankly, that's what teamwork is all about. No man is an island.

I have studied motivational speakers my whole life. Here is another of my favorites, Earl Nightingale. I especially like this as it pertains to your cheery posts:

View attachment 9477

Yes I underatand that some people respond to useless claptrap. Congratulations a bunch of words inspire you.

I don't need nonsense to be motivated.

Also you should realize that realizing a team is not good may not be a reflection on the person... especially when they are right about it. Some don't need to play pretends and pattycakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom