American Athletic Conference attendance and TV viewership both way up | The Boneyard

American Athletic Conference attendance and TV viewership both way up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I admit to having my opinion swayed this year. The AAC is a better football conference than the ACC in 2015. There, I said it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want UConn to go to the ACC and its money. I'm just saying that the on-field product of the AAC has been really good. Houston, Memphis, Temple, and Navy can play with almost anyone in the country. Cincinnati and USF would also give many P5 teams problems. It's definitely been a good year for AAC football and it should, hopefully, squash any of these absurd thoughts of moving UConn football to Independent.

Reaction Score
So the real question is, does this lead to a better TV deal?

I think it does, but not by much and maybe not for a few seasons still.

ESPN may reopen the contract in 1-3 years and increase the payout as a gesture of good will and to keep Aresco from shopping the conference elsewhere after the current deal expires, but it's be another million or so for each school.

We're not going to get P5 level payout from ESPN at this point.

Reaction Score

ESPN may reopen the contract in 1-3 years and increase the payout as a gesture of good will and to keep Aresco from shopping the conference elsewhere after the current deal expires, but it's be another million or so for each school.

ESPN most likely has zero interest in renegotiating their TV deal with the AAC because the ROI for AAC content probably has to be the highest of any conference based on the low cost per content. Aresco does have this year's results to make a good case for renegotiate but still doesn't have the leverage to move this conference to another network because it lacks the "name-brand" schools outside of Cincy and UConn. It's sort of a double edged sword, because ESPN is a great platform for the league while its still in its infancy, but based on results this conference could get more money from someone like Fox.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I had the UCF-ECU game on last night. It was a great for about 5 minutes. When UCF scored on the first drive, I thought it might have been a game. After ECU's 2nd TD, I just left it on as background noise. UCF's defense is really bad and their offense isn't much better.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I had the UCF-ECU game on last night. It was a great for about 5 minutes. When UCF scored on the first drive, I thought it might have been a game. After ECU's 2nd TD, I just left it on as background noise. UCF's defense is really bad and their offense isn't much better.

Yeah, UCF is the AAC's Kansas/Rutgers this season. They are pitiful - I think even worse than where we were at last season. I would love to see UCF vs Kansas just see if the game would play out to be just as dreadful as it does in my head.

Reaction Score

Trying to figure out how this relates to TV ratings and the TV AAC package. Anybody?

Reaction Score
If the league can continue to have 3-4 schools hovering around the 15-30 range with 1 getting some slight mentions for a playoff, the TV Revenue has to increase. Even if this league got $10M/year it's a huge bump from the current rate and way better than any other G5 league.

wonder what figure would need to be mentioned to get BYU and Boise to perk their ears. This league might not get P5 money, but even if it get's 30-50%, it's still way more than any other non P5 conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

As a sign of good will? In what world haha.

Reaction Score
As a sign of good will? In what world haha.

Happens a lot in media. Networks and companies that own rights will increase a current contract before it's up as a means of blunting the influence of possible competitors (of course the increase would come with including language that makes it more difficult for them to leave should they accept).

ESPN offered an increase to the old Big East before the deal expired and Marinatto turned it down with the idiotic belief he could get more for the conference in the open market. The move drove Pitt and Cuse to the ACC and ultimately was the death knell to the conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Happens a lot in media. Networks and companies that own rights will increase a current contract before it's up as a means of blunting the influence of possible competitors (of course the increase would come with including language that makes it more difficult for them to leave should they accept).

ESPN offered an increase to the old Big East before the deal expired and Marinatto turned it down with the idiotic belief he could get more for the conference in the open market. The move drove Pitt and Cuse to the ACC and ultimately was the death knell to the conference.

Understood from that angle of reopening the deal and renogotiating an extension.

I read your original post as simply ESPN increasing their deal. Period. Haha.

Reaction Score

I thought it was Pitt that led the drive to turn down the offer. Am I wrong?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You are misremembering things.

Pitt, Georgetown, Notre Dame and others wanted the deal turned down.

Bad management was spectacularly profitable for some folks.

Reaction Score
I thought it was Pitt that led the drive to turn down the offer. Am I wrong?
You are correct. Pitt was one of the most, if not the most, vociferous in leading the BE down the drain on that deal.

Reaction Score
The crazy thing is, usf right now may be the best team in the league. It shows that patience in a coach pays off, and in fball you can't just turn on the magic day one. If they could somehow manage to affiliate with some of the better western team, this conference would be as good as the Acc and B10. Once you strip osu out of the b10 equation, the rest is not heads above the crowd. Same with Clemson/fsu in the Acc. AAC may be lacking the one marquee team, but depth is there.

Reaction Score
I wonder what Temple attendance looks like without PSU and ND fans...

pj

Reaction Score
I wonder what Temple attendance looks like without PSU and ND fans...

On the other hand, any conference that can schedule PSU and ND is a good conference ...

Reaction Score
Front a football standpoint - this conference has a lot of potential to get a lot better. As a hoops conference it's insanely top-heavy. It's a straight-super power in baseball (not that that matters, but fwiw).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I call BS since Pitt and Cuse led the lobbying to turn down the deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I call BS since Pitt and Cuse led the lobbying to turn down the deal.

Syracuse was not lobbying against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32