All time UConn team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All time UConn team

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Donyell may have had awesome stats, but he wasn't a true 4, he was flexible to play four different pisitions, but he was a wing IMO. I unddrstand the desire to list the him, but if you are going to ask what is the all time uconn team, then make sure that player played that position formost of his time at uconn and not ocasional spot duty

umm donyell played predominantly at the 4 at uconn.

Reaction Score
IIRC Burell played the 3 for Donyell's first two years and Rudy Johnson played it in his third year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
PG: Taliek Brown
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Rip Hamilton
PF: Donyell Marshall
C: Emeka Okafor

Bench: Rashad Anderson, Kemba Walker, Jeff Adrien, Charlie Vills, Khalid El-Amin, Caron Butler, and Hasheem Thabeet.

Walk-Ons: Shabazz Napier, Jerome Dyson, Jake Voskuhl, and Cliff Robinson

Head Coach: Jimbo Calhoun
Asst. Coach: Kevin Ollie
Director of Basketball Operations: Georgie Blaney
Director of Drugs: Jamal Coombs-McDaniels
Director of Social Media: Alex Oriakhi

Reaction Score
Smith
Allen
Kemba
Okafor
Marshall
Somewhere on the bench is Tony Hanson

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
No way I could justify Andre Drummond on the Team!

Gotta go with the MIGHTY OAK!!!

EmekaSI.jpeg

Reaction Score
The mount rushmore of uconn is undebatable:

EMEKA
DONYELL
RIP
RAY
KEMBA

those are the greatest huskies ever and thats only taking college career into consideration.

THIS.
The original list lost significant credibility by having AD over Oak, but then lost all cred by leaving Donyell off the list. Regardless of the position he played, and during his career he played the 3, the 4 and I think even some 5 as a Soph, he has to be on the starting five.

Reaction Score
Drummond in the starting 5?? Are you kidding me. OP lost all credibility the second I read that.

When we do these lists, IMO it has to be based on college career.

IMO

Kenna
Ray
Rip
Donyell
Mek

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Caron is hurt by only having two years here instead of three. Given that, if you're talking the Calhoun years, I don't know how you get around a starting five of Kemba, Ray, Rip, Donyell and Emeka.

I've defended Taliek Brown a lot over the years, but I just can't see it here.

Reaction Score
Once Burrell graduated, Donyell and Donny became sort of a hybrid 3-4 combo in 1993-94, where they could interchangeably go inside and outside on offense, although Donyell guarded the 4s on defense.

But in crunch time we often went small (Ollie-Sheffer-Ray at 1-2-3 or Brian Fair/Rudy) and played the Marshalls at the 4-5, leaving our bigs (Hayward, Knight, Boo) on the bench. I don't think we ever played Hayward-Knight together at the same time.

Donyell would step outside and shoot regularly his junior year, but he was a college 4. The nine rebounds and three blocks a game are 4 numbers.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score

Bench: Rashad Anderson, Kemba Walker, Jeff Adrien, Charlie Vills, Khalid El-Amin, Caron Butler, and Hasheem Thabeet.

Please pass the crack pipe on Taliek on any all UConn team
He could not shoot outside of one foot and sometimes that would be a problem
Defenders would give him 5 feet on D and dare him to shoot
Imagine a Kemba on that team?

Reaction Score
I'm putting Ricky Moore on my team. Anyone who doesn't better be prepared to lose. I am locking up your best player with him.

Reaction Score
I could almost hear Ricky Moore screaming "They don't know! They don't know!". He makes the list somewhere for his stop on Trojan Man.

Reaction Score
Wow, botched that post. Meant to say Rudy wasn't very good at UConn and developed in the NBA. Without thinking about it deeply, I'd probably put Rudy in the 20s somewhere.
Rudy gets a bad rap from UConn fans. How many UConn fans remember that he was a first team All American his sophomore year? First team! And in only his second season. Donyell, Ray (twice), Rip (twice), Caron, Emeka (twice) and Kemba were the only other First Team All Americans in the JC era. In today's world Ray and Rip aren't coming back for their junior years. I leave off Emeka because he was a different sort of guy.

I guess he gets a bad rap for a few reasons. The 2 teams he was on disappointed in the NCAA Tournament - 2005 second round loss to NC St. and the Elite 8 loss to the team that shall remain nameless in 2006. He never did take over like he should have because he deferred to the upperclassmen on the team and it just wasn't in his nature. And he left after only 2 years. If he had stayed for his junior year and taken over like he could have I bet he doesn't get the bad rap.

Rudy Gay Earns First Team All-American Recognition

Reaction Score
Wes Bialasuknia averaged more than 20 points a game, 28 one season. And that was before the 3 point shot. And Toby Kimball was a legitimate NBA player. Both belong on any all-time team without any apologies. People want to put Villanueva and Drummond...yipes. Why not Bynum. He played almost as much for UConn as Drummond...

caw

Reaction Score
Are we talking best players, or best combined team?

Limited to the Calhoun era and a 13 man roster, but not including any current players:

I can't see how this isn't the starting five when you look at college careers:

PG: Kemba Walker

However, the second five would give them a game and a half:

Bench (locks, IMO):
Khalid El-Amin
Ben Gordon
Caron Butler
Rudy Gay
Hasheem Thabeet

This is where it gets tricky:
Bench (arguable, IMO):
Doron Sheffer
Jeff Adrien
Cliff Robinson

Walk-ons (best walk-ons in UConn's history?):
Andre Drummond
EJ Harrison

Bench (possible, IMO, in no specific order):
Chris Smith
Tate George
Jeremy Lamb
Marcus Williams
AJ Price
Ricky Moore
Rashad Anderson
Denham Brown
Taliek Brown

Kevin Freeman
Travis Knight
Jake Voshkuhl
Josh Boone
Donny Marshall
Charlie V.
Hilton Armstrong
Henefield

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You sure? I always thought he played the wing, but occasionally started at the 4 and 5 spots.

I think he always played the 4 (but my memory ain't what it used to be). He was named BE DPOY due to getting a lot of blocked shots (even though it was rumored that he could not guard a chair).

Reaction Score
Ray
Kemba
Rip
Mek
Donyell

Bench: Caron, Ricky, Smitty, Gordon, , Cliffy and Nadov, Talek, KEA
Honorable mention: Corny and Tony Hansen(since they didn't play for JC)

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but Taliek Brown and Rashad Anderson do not belong on this team. The fact that you have Taliek starting over Kemba is a joke. Seriously, give me one thing Taliek did better than Kemba.

Rashad was basically a spot-up three point shooter who didn't do much else. He didn't rebound, couldn't handle, and wasn't all that great defensively. Granted, we don't win the title in 2004 without him, and we certainly don't make it as far as we did in 06, but there is no need for him on this team.

Charlie Villanueva is another guy that really does not belong on this list. You also left off Jeremy Lamb, Ben Gordon, and Chris Smith, two of whom were the second best players on championship teams, and one of whom was one of the most influential players in the history of the program. Oh, and Ricky Moore? Gotta have him on the roster.

PG: Kemba, Smith, El-Amin

SG: Ray, BG, Ricky

SF: Rip, Caron

PF: Donyell, Cliff

C: Emeka, Hash

Toughest omissions for me were J-Lamb, Jeff, and Rudy. Shabazz still has a chance to work himself onto this list if he sticks around one more year.

Reaction Score
1. Kemba Walker
2. Ray Allen
3. Rudy Gay
4. Caron Butler
5. Andre Drummond

Bench:
Guards: Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Jeremy Lamb, Khalid El-Amin
Forwards: Emeka Okafor, Hasheem Thabeet

Head Coach: Jim Calhoun
Assistant: Kevin Ollie

Manager: Jonathan Mendeldove

Walk-ons:
Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, Doron Sheffer, Chris Smith, AJ Price

Recruiter: Tate George (Listen, if the man can put together a Ponzi scheme then he can certainly find a way to bring in 5 star recruits with some cash)
Why Andre? He wasnt that good at UConn.

Reaction Score
I am going to pretend this is an NBA rotation, (because those make the most sense)

Starting 5(best qualities)

PG Kemba(Heart, Leadership, Toughness)
SG Ray Allen(Shooting, spreading floor, pick 'n roll)
SF Caron Butler(Tough Juice, shotmaking, balance)
PF Donyell (rebounding, mid-range)
C Emeka (rim-protector, rebounding)

Role Players:

6th Man(bench scorer):
Ben Gordon(microwave, Iso Offense)

First Big off the Bench(defense/rebounding):
Drummond(size, defense, rebounding)

Lockdown Wing(Defender/Athlete/Shooter):
Scott Burrell ( Athleticism, all-around balance)

Reserve Players
(G)AJ Price(Mid-Range J, playmaking)
(G/F) Rudy Gay(Athleticism, versatility)
(F) Rip Hamilton(Mid-range, pop-n-shoot game)
(12th) Jake Voskuhl(defense, Rebounding, Toughness)

In My Opinion:

This team would be excellent offensively, especially on isolation and set play execution. They will be weak, however, when it comes to pick 'n roll offense, as Kemba and Ben Gordon were never the smoothest at running that play. That is where AJ Price could play a pivotal role off the pine, spreading the floor with shooters and running the P & R. Defensively they may struggle with bigger lineups, as Marshall was never an excellent on-ball defender. However, they can make up for that with their help-side athleticism and ability to pressure the ball.

Reaction Score
College only:

Kemba is interchangeable. Emeka is not. Rip is not. Donyell is not. Ray is somewhat.

Kemba is equal to Chris Smith, or KEA

Ray you have Ben Gordon and Caron Butler

Emeka, Rip and Donyell are the anchors. Emeka and Donyell need no writeup.

Surprised to see Rip left off some teams. What Rip (1st team AA) did to the best team in college basketball when the lights were on was remarkable, yet he was doing it all his career. Clearly our most fearless player, nothing and no one stopped him.

Kemba was awesome his Junior year especially tourney times. Chris and KEA were awesome for a longer period of time.

Ray (our legend) was a great player but so were Ben and Caron, and to say one had a better career than the other will always be debatable.

Reaction Score
No way Rudy Gay gets anywhere near the all-time team. Heck, he was never the leader of any team he played on and by his final season he more and more found himself on the bench come crunch time. Someone else was always taking the critical shot...Rashad Anderson or someone. All in all he was the one guy who got his laurels because of the name on the front of his shirt, not the name on the back.

My All time team would be: Guards, Gordon, Kemba, Doron Sheffer Ricky Moore
Forwards: Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler Bialasuknia, Tony Hanson, Freeman
Centers: Emeka Okafor, Toby Kimball, John Thomas, Thabeet (almost forgot him)
I was going to list small forwards and power forwards separately, but too many guys really played both. Only Freeman on my list was a "pure" power forward. Caron played like one in college, Marshall was a "hybrid" of sorts at UConn, so I decided to just list them all. Tony Hanson was Caron in an earlier incarnation.

Reaction Score
No way Rudy Gay gets anywhere near the all-time team. Heck, he was never the leader of any team he played on and by his final season he more and more found himself on the bench come crunch time. Someone else was always taking the critical shot...Rashad Anderson or someone. All in all he was the one guy who got his laurels because of the name on the front of his shirt, not the name on the back.

My All time team would be: Guards, Gordon, Kemba, Doron Sheffer Ricky Moore
Forwards: Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler Bialasuknia, Tony Hanson, Freeman
Centers: Emeka Okafor, Toby Kimball, John Thomas, Thabeet (almost forgot him)
I was going to list small forwards and power forwards separately, but too many guys really played both. Only Freeman on my list was a "pure" power forward. Caron played like one in college, Marshall was a "hybrid" of sorts at UConn, so I decided to just list them all. Tony Hanson was Caron in an earlier incarnation.

You sir are old. Bialasuknia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#