All things considered the defense was, kind of okay. | The Boneyard

All things considered the defense was, kind of okay.

Reaction Score
Boy, sure seems like UConn DL guys have no hope closing on a QB or RB. Got to do something to get some pressure or just too much room to operate.

Reaction Score
Still trying to block tackle and bouncing off guys. Thats on the coaching.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
it really wasn’t nt bad. The fumble TD and two 1 play drives for TDs lead to 21 points but they played tough

Reaction Score
The defense was alone on an island. No help from the offense at all. Gotta work on a pass rush or devise a blitz that actually gets there. But they force a few 3 and outs. With a couple of notable exceptions the tackling was decent. They had a TO.
Being down two guys (Jones/Watts) didn’t help from a scheme and rotation standpoint as well.

Reaction Score
D had NO pressure on the QB. D-backs left acres of space for Fresno State's receivers. Zergiotis was lost. We used to call this in Vietnam a "clusterf..k". Sad, but true. Clemson must be salivating.

I'd like to see Tyler Phommachahn at the helm. I don't care about his running ability, I want to see a classic drop-back pocket passer. The O-line is so bad that we need a QB with a quick release. Is he the "man"? I don't know. But I doubt Zergiotis is. We need (once again) to prepare for next year and beyond.

Any predictions on the paid (not the "turnstyle" which includes all the freebies) attendance next week vs Holy Cross?

Reaction Score
D had NO pressure on the QB. D-backs left acres of space for Fresno State's receivers. Zergiotis was lost. We used to call this in Vietnam a "clusterf..k". Sad, but true. Clemson must be salivating.

I'd like to see Tyler Phommachahn at the helm. I don't care about his running ability, I want to see a classic drop-back pocket passer. The O-line is so bad that we need a QB with a quick release. Is he the "man"? I don't know. But I doubt Zergiotis is. We need (once again) to prepare for next year and beyond.

Any predictions on the paid (not the "turnstyle" which includes all the freebies) attendance next week vs Holy Cross?
Not sure how many season ticket holders there are. But they will show up for the first game and they were giving free tickets to try to get rid of. Holy Cross is close and the weather is suppose to be nice next week , so they will bring some people. I park right outside of the ticket office. Not too worried about being bumped into walking into the game

Reaction Score
That touchdown and the first Fresno TD where our DB had his eye in the backfield and then looked like he was playing on roller skates for the first time were true embarrassments. Both plays looked like keystone cops comedy sketches. There were positive plays made that would not have been made in 2019. Not being able to get to the QB in passing situations will result in many losses. Our LB's missed tackles. The lopsided score is mainly on the offense being inept. I hope Kevon Jones wakes up and gets with the program as the backups were not ready at DE today. The starting D-lineman played hard all game.

Reaction Score
That touchdown and the first Fresno TD where our DB had his eye in the backfield and then looked like he was playing on roller skates for the first time were true embarrassments. Both plays looked like keystone cops comedy sketches. There were positive plays made that would not have been made in 2019. Not being able to get to the QB in passing situations will result in many losses. Our LB's missed tackles. The lopsided score is mainly on the offense being inept. I hope Kevon Jones wakes up and gets with the program as the backups were not ready at DE today. The starting D-lineman played hard all game.
D line (not sure how missing guys would impact) just too slow. Too much time for opposing QB to pick apart the drop back zone defense, just too easy for other team to get guys open for passes and RB's to make cuts as DL can't catch then and 2nd level drops too far back. Not sure how much is a talent vs. scheme problem but definitely did not look like a FBS level defense.

Reaction Score
Losing Dillon Harris hurt us.

Edsall hasn't been able to recruit and develop pass rushers like he did in his 1st stint.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Defense was horrible. Only didn't look worse on the scoreboard because Fresno lost their starting QB and they likely slowed down a bit themselves due blowing us out and the heat.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
How many times did we rush more than 4, because I honestly can’t remember one time? Fresno was consistently bringing 5 or 6 on every passing down. Take some chances on Defense.

Reaction Score
To the OP, I agree. The defense played reasonably well given the amount of time they were on the field. Compared to the 2018 and 2019 seasons the progress was evident.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom