Ali Patberg Max Preps HS POY 2015 | The Boneyard

Ali Patberg Max Preps HS POY 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well congrats to Ali. ND needs some really good guards as Loyd will be a HUGE loss for them. But Muffet is just a terrific coach and terrific at developing players. I think ND is no longer the preseason #2 team in the nation, but I still would have them in the top 5...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris redux? She's hella buff:

image-3872370564.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
I mean what are MaxPreps and all going to do? They wanted to give something to the ND kids. I think the award could have easily gone to Durr , Dangerfield , or Cooper. But they wanted to give something to the Irish incoming.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I mean what are MaxPreps and all going to do? They wanted to give something to the ND kids. I think the award could have easily gone to Durr , Dangerfield , or Cooper. But they wanted to give something to the Irish incoming.
I do not know what you mean by this post. Why would they want to give something to the Irish? What makes you think they would favor the Irish? Clay for one does not like the Irish although he respects Muffet and the program.

Reaction Score
Patberg POY? The #1 best player in America???? HAHAHAHA. I bet it's that wild and crazy Ericsandiego doing another one of his April Fool's Jokes, trying to make the Notre Dame fans feel better after losing in the NC game yet again and again. Let's be real here. Ali Patberg is ranked #21 by BlueStar, #14 by Hoopgurlz, and #19 by All-Star Girls Report. How could she be someone else's legitimate #1 POY? Answer- she can't . SniffSniff Something fishy .... Muffet and Andy Beal may be old buddies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong was Parade's POY...

I'm going to assume this is hugely based on the high school season; probably a mix of being on the best HS team with very good stats to back it up. Patberg had great stats and played for the fifth ranked team. Can't really find the stats to anyone on #1 Neumann-Goretti's team. Dangerfield and Blackman are ranked #2, but she probably doesn't have the raw stats (I know they are a very balanced team), and they probably wanted to give it to a senior. #3 St. Mary's Stockton has mostly underclassman, and no one really has eye-popping stats. Erica Ogwumike who plays for #4 Cy-Woods has relatively good stats as well (20ppg/7 rpg), but her stats aren't as good as Patberg's and she isn't a McD AA. MD didn't win State, and dropped in rankings (#11), so maybe thats why KLS didn't win.

Reaction Score
MarieYLee quote: "...but her (Katie Lou's) stats aren't as good as Patberg's and she isn't a McD AA. MD didn't win State, and dropped in rankings (#11), so maybe thats why KLS didn't win." HUHHHHHHHHHHH ??????? Not a McD AA? Didn't win what?
upload_2015-4-12_5-25-52.jpeg
-For the record, Katie Lou Samuelson won THE Morgan Wootten McDonald's National POY. Oh yeah. and The Gatorade National POY. And The WBCA National POY. And The Naismith National POY. And KLS was always ranked #1 or #2 by every ranking service while Patberg was never ranked higher than #14 !!
-And the following are MaxPreps very own headlines from a story on Katie Lou, dated April 1, 2015:

" By any name, Katie Lou Samuelson is McDonald's All-American's top gun, the
Nation's No. 1 female prospect has already won National Player of the Year awards from McDonald's and Gatorade.

-
Patberg doesn't really come close to Lou, or Asia Durr, or several other higher-ranked seniors. Not in a legit conversation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MarieYLee quote: "...but her (Katie Lou's) stats aren't as good as Patberg's and she isn't a McD AA. MD didn't win State, and dropped in rankings (#11), so maybe thats why KLS didn't win." HUHHHHHHHHHHH ??????? Not a McD AA? Didn't win what?
View attachment 9189
-For the record, Katie Lou Samuelson won THE Morgan Wootten McDonald's National POY. Oh yeah. and The Gatorade National POY. And The WBCA National POY. And The Naismith National POY. And KLS was always ranked #1 or #2 by every ranking service while Patberg was never ranked higher than #14 !!
-And the following are MaxPreps very own headlines from a story on Katie Lou, dated April 1, 2015:

" By any name, Katie Lou Samuelson is McDonald's All-American's top gun, the
Nation's No. 1 female prospect has already won National Player of the Year awards from McDonald's and Gatorade.

-
Patberg doesn't really come close to Lou, or Asia Durr, or several other higher-ranked seniors. Not in a legit conversation.

The "her" referred to Erica Ogwumike, the subject in the sentence ending "her stats aren't as good as Patberg's and she isn't a McD AA".

Reaction Score
iiiiiiiiiiiii. must remember....partying and posting don't mix..... :oops::(

Still stand by evry slurrred wurd I typed about Louuuuu.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This award going to Ali Patberg is definitely bucking a trend. Past winners include:
2014 - A'ja Wilson, Heathwood Hall Episcopal (Columbia, S.C.)
2013 - Diamond DeShields, Norcross (Ga.)
2012 - Breanna Stewart, Cicero-North Syracuse (Cicero, N.Y.)
2011 - Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
2010 - Chiney Ogwumike, Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas)
2009 - Skylar Diggins, South Bend Washington (Ind.)
2008 - Nneka Ogwumike, Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas)
2007 - Maya Moore, Collins Hill (Suwanee, Ga.)
2006 - Jacki Gemelos, St. Mary's (Stockton, Calif.)
We'll see how things turn out I Wish her well.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Based on their College Accomplishments Max Prep have gotten their prior POY Award correct. I would have chosen Brianna Turner over A'ja, but can't go wrong choosing either player. 2006 Jacki Gemelos was the POY but her injuries took a toll on her abilities.

Ali is probably an extremely talented player but as far as I can tell she hasn't made any of the USA Basketball teams for her age group. I would like to know the criteria that was used to select her and what other players were the finalist. I'm not saying Katie Lou Samuelson should have won either, as there are many talented players. I just find it strange that Clay doesn't have Ali listed as the best Shooting guard and then 3 months later she's their POY.

This award going to Ali Patberg is definitely bucking a trend. Past winners include:
2014 - A'ja Wilson, Heathwood Hall Episcopal (Columbia, S.C.)
2013 - Diamond DeShields, Norcross (Ga.)
2012 - Breanna Stewart, Cicero-North Syracuse (Cicero, N.Y.)
2011 - Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
2010 - Chiney Ogwumike, Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas)
2009 - Skylar Diggins, South Bend Washington (Ind.)
2008 - Nneka Ogwumike, Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas)
2007 - Maya Moore, Collins Hill (Suwanee, Ga.)
2006 - Jacki Gemelos, St. Mary's (Stockton, Calif.)
We'll see how things turn out I Wish her well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on their College Accomplishments Max Prep have gotten their prior POY Award correct. I would have chosen Brianna Turner over A'ja, but can't go wrong choosing either player. 2006 Jacki Gemelos was the POY but her injuries took a toll on her abilities.

Ali is probably an extremely talented player but as far as I can tell she hasn't made any of the USA Basketball teams for her age group. I would like to know the criteria that was used to select her and what other players were the finalist. I'm not saying Katie Lou Samuelson should have won either, as there are many talented players. I just find it strange that Clay doesn't have Ali listed as the best Shooting guard and then 3 months later she's their POY.
I agree completely. Without knowing the criteria for selection this IMO looks like an outlier selection and not consistent with any of the other NPOY awards.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Patberg POY? The #1 best player in America???? HAHAHAHA. I bet it's that wild and crazy Ericsandiego doing another one of his April Fool's Jokes, trying to make the Notre Dame fans feel better after losing in the NC game yet again and again. Let's be real here. Ali Patberg is ranked #21 by BlueStar, #14 by Hoopgurlz, and #19 by All-Star Girls Report. How could she be someone else's legitimate #1 POY? Answer- she can't . SniffSniff Something fishy .... Muffet and Andy Beal may be old buddies.

Is that as far-fetched as Chong being named Parade Magazine National Player of the Year several years ago ? Over Diamond Deshields and Kaela Davis ?

Reaction Score
Is that as far-fetched as Chong being named Parade Magazine National Player of the Year several years ago ? Over Diamond Deshields and Kaela Davis ?

True- absurdity after absurdity, neither making sense (though Davis' play at Tech wouldn't even justify all-state, let alone AA).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True- absurdity after absurdity, neither making sense (though Davis' play at Tech wouldn't even justify all-state, let alone AA).

Uh.... Davis has averaged something like 19pts a game in her first two seasons. First team All-ACC this season. She's a gunner.... but hardly a bad player.

Reaction Score
Uh.... Davis has averaged something like 19pts a game in her first two seasons. First team All-ACC this season. She's a gunner.... but hardly a bad player.

Uh....Never said Davis was bad. She's an incredible athlete with all the physical tools, however, she's also a major chucker. I saw her play 5 times, and I couldn't believe some of the insane shots she forced up. She made a terrible 36% of her field goals while taking an unbelievable 300 more shots than her nearest teammate; she took over 100 more three's than any teammate but only made a terrible 29%, and committing 3 turnovers a game while assisting barely once per game. In quantum physics, she'd be an event horizon- the ball goes in and never comes out. Would not be able to play for Geno.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Clay's reasoning for selecting Ali as POY

The first thing: My Player of the Year is not the player with the most college potential. My Player of the Year had, in my mind, the best year in high school.

Katie Lou Samuelson has a higher ceiling than Ali Patberg, and for that matter, so might Martina Mabrey, and several others.

But Indiana was strong this year, with Bedford North Lawrence, Lawrence North and Heritage Christian all very good teams. And Indiana does not allow teams to travel more than 250 miles, or bring in teams from more than 250 miles away (I think).

Patberg carried her team all year, as they were expected to drop off significantly, and then led them in the state playoffs when her coach reminded her she needed to score more instead of giving the ball up.

As with the overall No. 1, you can certainly make a case for others: Samuelson had a tremendous year, Mabrey was huge down the stretch for Manasquan, and Crystal Dangerfield wouldn't be a bad choice either.

But I felt Patberg was the most deserving, and the folks I talked to didn't disagree.

And to reiterate: For me, this award is not about college potential, but high school production.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier carried her team, which lost 4 players to graduation, 1 to transfer, and 1 to injury. And she outscored the entire opposition in the state title game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom