UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seton Hall is getting spanked by Creighton - up 16 with 4:48 left in the 4th
On FS1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just went and checked the brackets - it showed SHU as an 8 seed and USF as a 7 seed so i guess i was wrong - but I think the other day they had SHU a higher seed than USF... I still can't believe anyone really feels TEnn is deserving of a 6 seed. If the RPI says that, then there is something very very wrong with the RPI...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just went and checked the brackets - it showed SHU as an 8 seed and USF as a 7 seed so i guess i was wrong - but I think the other day they had SHU a higher seed than USF... I still can't believe anyone really feels TEnn is deserving of a 6 seed. If the RPI says that, then there is something very very wrong with the RPI...

Completely with you on that, after watching the MSU - Tennessee entree that was served up. After having sat through many of the SEC games, I'm starting to question the RPI, Sagarin, Charlie Creme, etc. not just for the Vols, but for a lot of those teams. With all due respect to our fellow boardsters from S. Carolina, et al, the offenses -- be that as it may -- are painful to watch. And please don't tell me it's the good defense stifling them. I didn't see any sophisticated zone traps, switching defenses, etc....After a few of these offerings, I luckily found a DePaul game on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Completely with you on that, after watching the MSU - Tennessee entree that was served up. After having sat through many of the SEC games, I'm starting to question the RPI, Sagarin, Charlie Creme, etc. not just for the Vols, but for a lot of those teams. With all due respect to our fellow boardsters from S. Carolina, et al, the offenses -- be that as it may -- are painful to watch. And please don't tell me it's the good defense stifling them. I didn't see any sophisticated zone traps, switching defenses, etc....After a few of these offerings, I luckily found a DePaul game on.
I'm so glad you chimed in - it seems there are at least 5-6 coaches who really seem to try to teach offense, and I'm sure there are others as well. The amount of 1 on 1 play that generally causes many missed shots, O-boards and putbacks that result in no assists is the mainstay of WCBB these days.

I've seen games coached by Geno, McGraw, Bruno, Vanderveer, and even some of the mid majors - Dayton last year for example - who have terrific coaches who teach some sort of motion offense that is the result of ball movement to try to get an open man for an open shot. The SEC is mostly devoid of this which usually results in games where the winner doesn't even get to 60 points.

I also can't tell you the number of times I've seen players just put their heads down and drive into at least 3-4 defenders, chuck up a ridiculous shot and pray for a foul call. UGLY basketball and it might as well be street ball on the blacktop at a local park. I also think Mulkey, Walz, and even Freese may be running more "offense" . I can't speak as much to the rest of the PAC 12, or Big 10 or Bit 12 - I haven't seen enough of their games, but give any coach credit who realizes the old Pat Summit way of playing hoops is sooooo last century...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm so glad you chimed in - it seems there are at least 5-6 coaches who really seem to try to teach offense, and I'm sure there are others as well. The amount of 1 on 1 play that generally causes many missed shots, O-boards and putbacks that result in no assists is the mainstay of WCBB these days.

I've seen games coached by Geno, McGraw, Bruno, Vanderveer, and even some of the mid majors - Dayton last year for example - who have terrific coaches who teach some sort of motion offense that is the result of ball movement to try to get an open man for an open shot. The SEC is mostly devoid of this which usually results in games where the winner doesn't even get to 60 points.

I also can't tell you the number of times I've seen players just put their heads down and drive into at least 3-4 defenders, chuck up a ridiculous shot and pray for a foul call. UGLY basketball and it might as well be street ball on the blacktop at a local park. I also think Mulkey, Walz, and even Freese may be running more "offense" . I can't speak as much to the rest of the PAC 12, or Big 10 or Bit 12 - I haven't seen enough of their games, but give any coach credit who realizes the old Pat Summit way of playing hoops is sooooo last century...

Enjoy the give and take on this. Ah, the "3rd and 1" dive play, with the hope of getting 2 at the line.
I read an interview with Muffet McGraw in which she, in effect, said that most of the tall kids that she has an interest in now are not interested in being a traditional center. They want to face the basket, take mid-range (and further) jump shots, drive to the hoop, pass the ball. The coaches and schools your mention, plus a few more that come to mind, are going after these players. ND's "big" recruit for next year -- Erin Boley -- is a 6'2" "stretch 4"

I'll be really intrigued to see what a coach like Mulkey does with a player like Cox. She hasn't had anyone like her before. It will be really intriguing to see how that plays out, along with her use of a guard like Natalie Chou.

Reaction Score
USFs problem was that before yesterday they had 0 wins away from home against the top 125.
Yesterday's big win over Temple was significant for their resume.

Reaction Score
Also a reminder that Creme is just speculating. If you think something is outrageous maybe it won't happen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SJU giving Depaul all the can handle - SJU up 4 with about 4 minutes left...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Depaul looks like they are about to go down - losing by 5 with about 1:30 left. Bummer for them...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is bad news for bubble teams, including Temple. If Creighton beats St. John's tomorrow, St. John's will still get an at-large bid. Today's win over DePaul will solidify St John's position in the at-large field even if they lose to Creighton.

Reaction Score
I am not as confident of St. John's at large ambitions if they do not win tomorrow's game against Creighton. St John's has to win the Big East Championship game to keep Temple's bubble from bursting. A Creighton win puts Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John's, and Temple squarely on the bubble. Selection Monday is going to be suspenseful for a number of programs. Love it!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am not as confident of St. John's at large ambitions if they do not win tomorrow's game against Creighton. St John's has to win the Big East Championship game to keep Temple's bubble from bursting. A Creighton win puts Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John's, and Temple squarely on the bubble. Selection Monday is going to be suspenseful for a number of programs. Love it!

Seton Hall is currently projected as an 8 seed. I'd say they're safe even after the Creighton loss. St. John's was a projected high-10 seed before tonight, and will almost certainly climb to a 9 or possibly an 8 seed after beating DePaul. I'd say they're unlikely to fall out of the field from an 8/9 seed if they lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom