Al Jefferson to join Kemba on Bobcats | The Boneyard

Al Jefferson to join Kemba on Bobcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A great signing by Jordan and the Bobcats......Hopefully a beginning to something great.

Reaction Score
Kemba/Sessions
Henderson/Gordon
MKG/Taylor
Zeller/Biyombo
Al Jeff/Haywood

That is a playoff squad, too bad they'll be playing the Heat, Bulls, Nets, or Pacers in the first round.

And as a Celtics fan, there are now probably only 3 or 4 teams that can have a worse record.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What a great signing very underrated, should take some of the scoring load off kemba shoulders. great signing overall

Reaction Score
Kemba/Sessions
Henderson/Gordon
MKG/Taylor
Zeller/Biyombo
Al Jeff/Haywood

That is a playoff squad, too bad they'll be playing the Heat, Bulls, Nets, or Pacers in the first round.

And as a Celtics fan, there are now probably only 3 or 4 teams that can have a worse record.

They are not even remotely close to a playoff squad. Al Jefferson is an effective low post scorer and rebounder who is below average in every other aspect of basketball. I don't hate the signing because the Bobcats are short on respectable NBA players, but they overpaid and will probably have one of the worst records in the league again next season barring significant development from Kemba, MKG, and Zeller.

Reaction Score
I will never understand and said it on draft day why they passed on Drummond for a wing that can't really shoot it at an NBA level!

Still shaking my head at Zeller....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I will never understand and said it on draft day why they passed on Drummond for a wing that can't really shoot it at an NBA level!

I think Zeller has a chance to be a Tom Chambers type of player as he is an much above average athlete just needs strength to play the PF spot.

Reaction Score

The theory at the time was that they had just drafted a guy like him (Biyombo) - raw, young, shot blocker, range is a dunk, etc.

Hindsight obviously makes that decision a poor one - Drummond is much better. And you can also argue it is better to stockpile the best assets, even if they don't fit together. At the time, they thought MKG was a better fit around the young nucleus they already had.

Reaction Score
If Drummond played at UConn as he does in the NBA, he would have been #1.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They are not even remotely close to a playoff squad.
That was my first reaction as well, but then I thought about it. And here goes:

1 - Heat
2 - Bulls
3 - Nets
4 - Pacers
5 - Knicks

After that it's a clusterfuck. Let's start with the teams that are tanking:

15 - Sixers
14 - Bucks
13 - Hawks (official as soon as D12 decides)
12 - Magic
11 - Raptors (pretending like they're not, but they want Wiggins for totally justifiable reasons)
10 - Celtics (official once they trade Rondo, so soon)

After that, it's four teams fighting for three spots:

9 - Detroit (I don't think they have a legit backcourt)
8 - Cleveland (they can drop if Varejao isn't healthy, and obviously Irving as well)
7 - Charlotte (seriously)
6 - Washington

I mean, say what you want about Jefferson, but he was the best player on the Jazz last year and they just missed the playoffs in the Western conference, which wasn't exactly loaded with patsies. He's going to put up monster numbers against most of the East, and I expect big jumps in production from Kemba and MKG. I'm not exactly sold on Henderson, but he's been serviceable, and our man Ben is in a contract year. Bet he shoots something like 47% from the floor and 42% from 3, putting up his best overall numbers since 2009.

The Bobcats will get absolutely lit up by most of the good teams, but IMHO they'd have to up royally to miss the playoffs this time through. I'll bet a dollar they make it.

And - as I'm sure everybody knows - the Wizards are actually going to be good this year, as long as they stay healthy. I'm guessing 50-53 wins.

Reaction Score
That was my first reaction as well, but then I thought about it. And here goes:

1 - Heat
2 - Bulls
3 - Nets
4 - Pacers
5 - Knicks

After that it's a cluster . Let's start with the teams that are tanking:

15 - Sixers
14 - Bucks
13 - Hawks (official as soon as D12 decides)
12 - Magic
11 - Raptors (pretending like they're not, but they want Wiggins for totally justifiable reasons)
10 - Celtics (official once they trade Rondo, so soon)

After that, it's four teams fighting for three spots:

9 - Detroit (I don't think they have a legit backcourt)
8 - Cleveland (they can drop if Varejao isn't healthy, and obviously Irving as well)
7 - Charlotte (seriously)
6 - Washington

I mean, say what you want about Jefferson, but he was the best player on the Jazz last year and they just missed the playoffs in the Western conference, which wasn't exactly loaded with patsies. He's going to put up monster numbers against most of the East, and I expect big jumps in production from Kemba and MKG. I'm not exactly sold on Henderson, but he's been serviceable, and our man Ben is in a contract year. Bet he shoots something like 47% from the floor and 42% from 3, putting up his best overall numbers since 2009.

The Bobcats will get absolutely lit up by most of the good teams, but IMHO they'd have to up royally to miss the playoffs this time through. I'll bet a dollar they make it.

And - as I'm sure everybody knows - the Wizards are actually going to be good this year, as long as they stay healthy. I'm guessing 50-53 wins.

You're right about everybody in the east tanking next season - I didn't consider that. Still though, I think they are a ways off. I think Washington, Cleveland, and Detroit are a good deal better than Charlotte - between Gordon, Kemba, and Jefferson, you're talking about three pretty bad defensive players (Kemba might not be horrific but he isn't good, either). I have a hard time imagining Charlotte's defense will be far off league worse pace. Offensively, they'll be better, but they still figure to be mediocre. Zeller hasn't proven he can score consistently in any fashion besides transition, Kidd-Gilchrist is an offensive liability to put it nicely, and it still remains to be seen whether Gordon bounces back or continues to write his own ticket out the league. It looks like Henderson is probably leaving, which means their bench is going to be pretty damn bad.

Boston, Toronto, and Atlanta will have to shake up their rosters significantly before we can declare them worse than Charlotte, IMO. For the time being, the Celtics still have a respectable NBA roster with guys like Rondo, Bradley, Bass, Wallace, Sullinger, and Green. It's not a playoff team, but a squad that can win 30 games in a watered down eastern conference. Whether they trade Rondo remains to be seen, but I see no appealing reason to do so unless they're truly bent on tanking. Toronto might want to trade Gay, but where are you going to trade him? Nobody wants to take on his max contract because he hasn't proven to be close to a max player. Atlanta still has Al Horford, one of the most underrated big men in the league, alongside Jeff Teague (he might be a free agent, not sure), Lou Williams, and I think they might have re-signed Kyle Korver today. They won't suck, even if Smith leaves.

Jefferson should drag them a little further out of the basement, and assuming Zeller isn't a complete stiff and Walker/Kidd-Gilchrist/Biyombo make reasonable progress in their game, I could see them winning 27-30 games if we're being generous. Don't get me wrong; I like the team and hope Kemba, BG, and Adrien (if he is still on the team which unfortunately looks less likely with recent signings) all thrive, I just can't see a roster with that many limitations mustering enough victories to grab a playoff spot, even if they are playing in a league where half the teams are outrageously tanking.

Reaction Score
They are not even remotely close to a playoff squad. Al Jefferson is an effective low post scorer and rebounder who is below average in every other aspect of basketball. I don't hate the signing because the Bobcats are short on respectable NBA players, but they overpaid and will probably have one of the worst records in the league again next season barring significant development from Kemba, MKG, and Zeller.
Better chance of making the playoffs than winning 38 games.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's probably a good thing at any rate. Get another nice draft slot in a reportedly strong draft.

Reaction Score
The Bobcats got much better in the front court (where they stunk). Zeller and Jefferson give them some offense up front. That alone should improve them.

Reaction Score
Jefferson is not bad - not great, though. Was Bynum available? Not sure if he would want to be a Bobcat,but surely it would be worth a try.

Reaction Score
If Jefferson puts up 15 points a game -below his career average. That will be more than 11 points above the combined per game average of their two centers last year.

Reaction Score
The Bobcats got much better in the front court (where they stunk). Zeller and Jefferson give them some offense up front. That alone should improve them.

If that is the case, then hypothetically add 11 to the 93.4 pts PER by the Cats last year, putting them over 100, good enough to beat a lot of teams. Yeah, playoffs is not so far-fetched if Jefferson plays true to form. Charlotte lost a lot of close games and blowouts last year.Winning maybe half of those close games and decreasing the blowouts should keep them in the game in many tussles. I like how Jefferson could impact the transformation of Walker into an elite PG.

Reaction Score
I think Bynum would have been a better signing. Cheaper, probably for 1 year, and more losses. even higher upside.thing is their ticket holders wouldnt like that. the cats need to hit the ball outta the park in the '14 and '15 draft.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can Bynum even walk? Does he even remotely enjoy playing basketball?

Reaction Score

Bynum would enjoy playing BB with a prior UConn background. Calhoun would have taught him a proper approach to the game and his injuries might have been avoided had be played less strenuous college BB while allowing his very young body to avoid major collisions in the NBA,which he received too much of in his first two years there.

Reaction Score
I think the second question is a very good one and my guess is no, not really. As for the first question, there was a video floating around of him dancing in a nightclub while sitting out. If really from last year, he seemed to moving pretty well. Just didn't seem like the kid had any interest in playing last year. If I'm an NBA GM, I don't touch this kid with a 10 foot pole, other than on a 1 year deal maybe. A 5 year max contract for this kid would be a nightmare.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think Washington, Cleveland, and Detroit are a good deal better than Charlotte - between Gordon, Kemba, and Jefferson, you're talking about three pretty bad defensive players (Kemba might not be horrific but he isn't good, either).
Kemba looks like Gary Payton when you compare him to Kyrie or Jose Calderon (or Will Bynum). Like you said, he's not great, but I think he's probably a bit above average when you factor in his ability to slip screens and prevent penetration so often on the pick-and-roll. When you consider what a huge part of the modern NBA that is, I think it's pretty huge. This also probably explains why the Bobs were nearly 3 points worse per 100 possessions defensively with him off the court.

Gordon and Jefferson are flammable, of course, which is why they're available. I honestly don't mind Jeff in 1v1 post situations to be honest, since he's big and strong enough to prevent deep post positions and at least makes it difficult on 5s. Where he's absolutely terrible is defending the pick-n-roll, and that's why Zeller should be such a good pick up.

Zeller long, and his agility is off the charts for a big man. He's going to blow up pick-n-rolls the way Varejao used to for Cleveland, which should improve Charlotte's D immensely. I don't even think it'll take him a lot of time to learn that part of the game - it's instincts with him.

I also have more confidence in their offense than you seem to. Jeff is going to get his 20/10 every night, and Kemba will continue to improve - especially now that he doesn't have to be the No. 1 option. I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 20/8, and shoot pretty close to 45%. Just having those two working together should be a huge boost, even if MKG and Zeller are offensive cyphers in the half-court.

Boston, Toronto, and Atlanta will have to shake up their rosters significantly before we can declare them worse than Charlotte, IMO. For the time being, the Celtics still have a respectable NBA roster with guys like Rondo, Bradley, Bass, Wallace, Sullinger, and Green. It's not a playoff team, but a squad that can win 30 games in a watered down eastern conference. Whether they trade Rondo remains to be seen, but I see no appealing reason to do so unless they're truly bent on tanking.
Come on, they're clearly hellbent on tanking! They've replaced Garnett with either Fab Melo or Colton Iverson - you or I could play the 5 vs. them. And that's the key for the Celtics: they'll have some guys who can score, but without Garnett and Pierce, they're going to be as bad defensively as we've ever seen them. Nobody there who can protect the rim, nobody who can handle pick-n-rolls, and Bradley was exposed badly in the playoffs. Anybody who goes up against him is just going to put their biggest backcourt out there and back him down repeatedly.

I think they're meat, with or without Rondo.

Toronto might want to trade Gay, but where are you going to trade him? Nobody wants to take on his max contract because he hasn't proven to be close to a max player. Atlanta still has Al Horford, one of the most underrated big men in the league, alongside Jeff Teague (he might be a free agent, not sure), Lou Williams, and I think they might have re-signed Kyle Korver today. They won't suck, even if Smith leaves.
I don't think that keeping Rudy means Toronto are going to be particularly good, or even "not terrible." They have four guys in their lineup who need the ball, and no one who I can see that's particularly adept at getting it to them. I think they max out a 35 wins.

You may have a point about Atlanta, especially if they sign-and-trade Smith for Asik (which is looking like a good possibility).

Regardless, I think Charlotte is a playoff team. If you have a 5 who can score and four other guys who can defend the pick and roll, you've got a very, very good shot at the postseason in today's NBA. I think that's what the Bobs have now.

EDIT: Really fun debate, by the way. I live for this sort of thing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
EDIT: Really fun debate, by the way. I live for this sort of thing.

Ok matrim, since you seem to be into this sort of thing, who's going to be better next year? Bobcats or Celtics? How many games do they win respectively?

(clearly by your breakdown, you think Charlotte, but I'll ask it outright anyway....)

Reaction Score
Ok matrim, since you seem to be into this sort of thing, who's going to be better next year? Bobcats or Celtics? How many games do they win respectively?

(clearly by your breakdown, you think Charlotte, but I'll ask it outright anyway....)

Charlotte= 36-46
Boston = 24-58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member