Al in Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Al in Portal

Reaction Score
Good luck AG. You gave it your best. I hope your next stop is full of success.

Reaction Score
I lIke the way this is being handled, lots of respect from all sides. This isn’t the usual “Player X has informed us of his decision to transfer. We wish him the best.”

How great is this from Al (via Dom Amore):

Gilbert sees big things for UConn's future. "I have a lot of confidence in those guys ... it's more about the Big East getting ready for UConn, to be honest with you."

And this, from the team account:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Carlton didn't still get his 20 minutes a night next year. I would also be very, very surprised if Springs or JVB (especially the latter) is able to usurp his minutes. Carlton still serves a valuable role for this team and should have a solid season next year if the staff goes through with their plan of trimming down Carlton this summer.

Once Akok went down, he had 14,12,12,23,15,20 minutes over the final 6 games. He was 1 of 2 PF/C on the entire roster and couldn't get significant minutes in 4/6 contests. Unless he improves in the offseason, it's doubtful he plays many minutes next year with many more reinforcements coming in at the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
As others have said, right decision for both Alterique and UConn. He needs to be somewhere that will afford him the opportunity to play more minutes. He is loaded with talent. His decision making (driving into the trees repeatedly and the like) really held him back.

But once he started coming off the bench, he played significantly better. Unfortunately, most potential suitors will see his full season stats, which are honestly underwhelming. Tape of his last 6 or 8 games would be a better indicator of the player he has become. I hope he finds the right situation where he can truly display what he is capable of.

Best of luck AG.

Reaction Score
Refreshing to see kids leave with class. The shenanigans with our last transfers under you-know-who was an embarassment.

Best of luck to Rique. He'll be a killer and have a great career overseas if he gets back on track + a Master's degree. Has a chance to support his mother for life the way he's always talked about

C

Chief00

As others have said, right decision for both Alterique and UConn. He needs to be somewhere that will afford him the opportunity to play more minutes. He is loaded with talent. His decision making (driving into the trees repeatedly and the like) really held him back.

But once he started coming off the bench, he played significantly better. Unfortunately, most potential suitors will see his full season stats, which are honestly underwhelming. Tape of his last 6 or 8 games would be a better indicator of the player he has become. I hope he finds the right situation where he can truly display what he is capable of.

Best of luck AG.

Based on the last 6-8 games, there are going to be times next season, we wished we had Al. His on the ball defense is under-appreciated by our beloved Casual Fans and is where it all starts for good team defense.
On offense, Al was just beginning to appreciate how to play off his teammates. He was best as the Secondary ball handler, which created mismatches. Al learned to think pass as previously he thought of it as a bail out option.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn‘s offense did not start to pick up until Gaffney started to get much more playing time at the very end of January. He’ll be the starter next season whether Alterique is here or not.

Bouk and Jackson will be fixtures at the two/three, so basically, Alterique’s playing time would come down to how much time he could take away from RJ Cole.

Tough spot.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Where ever he ends up the boneyard should organize a group of fans to attend one of his games in full out UConn gear. He would appreciate it I’m sure. I had the chance to personally talk to and thank AL in Charleston and he was one of the nicest and gracious guys ever. He deserves it.
If this comes to fruition (and it should), I'd do my damnedest to be there even though I live in the middle of nowhere.

Reaction Score
As an Elon alum this is my dream for him. Also he would be a perfect fit for our team and coach schrage did a great job with a grad transfer from Stanford last year.

Hmmm somebody knew something on February 10th

Reaction Score
Probably a sign AG sees Cole as a very good player. Not sure why else he’d transfer.
Perhaps but it makes sense to me. Sure he loves UConn but he got benched behind a freshman, and with so many other guards on our roster next season, I would think he wants to try something new with less challenges (competition). Being a 5th year Sr. usually means the team will not build around you anyway, and you become more of an insurance policy.

Afterall his UConn experience was not pleasant (speaking of injuries) and at a new school he could become 'unleashed' and hopefully gain redemption with abundant PT. To me its a good kinda selfishness as he only has one last year of 'guaranteed' basketball. Might as well make the most of it. I think its a good decision and in no way tarnishes his UConn status.

I'm rooting for him.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Wonder if Hurley even invited him back, or if it was Al's decision 100%
Hurley keeps it real. I guarantee he told Al the exact role he perceived he would have moving forward and let him know if he left no hard feelings. You want honesty in this situation from your HC.

C

Chief00

UConn‘s offense did not start to pick up until Gaffney started to get much more playing time at the very end of January. He’ll be the starter next season whether Alterique is here or not.

Bouk and Jackson will be fixtures at the two/three, so basically, Alterique’s playing time would come down to how much time he could take away from RJ Cole.

Tough spot.

Agree with your comment about Gaffney’s impact. Rather than a scorebox impact it was more calming, poise and the absence of turnovers and getting the right shots by the right guys.We also got better court balance and guys in the paint who could offensive rebound.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom