Akok UConn player comp | The Boneyard

Akok UConn player comp

Reaction Score
Is there one for him? Off the top of my head and without much research my #BoneyardTake is a poor man's Donyell.

Reaction Score
Is there one for him? Off the top of my head and without much research my #BoneyardTake is a poor man's Donyell.
I'm hoping Coach Sal can turn him into a poor man's taller Jeff Adrien.

pj

Reaction Score
A rich man's Ajou Deng. Deng was a big-time shooter and shotblocker in high school who turned out to be too slender and injury-prone in college to fulfill his promise. Hopefully Akok does better. But that would be the closest comparison from what I've seen.

AJOU DENG: NO REGRETS

Ajou's brother Luol has had a long NBA career and ranks #192 all time in NBA win shares, NBA & ABA Career Leaders and Records for Win Shares | Basketball-Reference.com. That could be Akok's upside.

Update: I like the Cliff Robinson suggestion below as an optimistic UConn comp for Akok.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ater Majok.

I kid I kid.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He’s a poor man’s Selvie without the corn braids.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
cliff spliffy? lets hope so, since CLIFF ROBINSON SHOULD BE IN THE NBA HALL OF FAME!!!!
(too loud?)

As a freshman I don't think Cliff was nearly as polished or as good as either Donyell or Charlie V.

He definitely finished with a better a pro career than either of those two.

Reaction Score
A cross between Selvie and Ace Watanasuparp but he ain't 6'9/610, he's Kevin Pangos height.

Reaction Score
This kid is a hell of a shot blocker and can shoot it. Not sure there really is a good comp.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a great comparison in Uconn history. His best attribute is his shot blocking and his second best attribute is his 3 point shooting. This is not a super common combination. I have never watched a full Akok game so I am going off his scouting report and his highlights but the best comparison that was thrown out so far, maybe by @auror? or @polycom? was Tyler Lydon.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a great comparison in Uconn history. His best attribute is his shot blocking and his second best attribute is his 3 point shooting. This is not a super common combination. I have never watched a full Akok game so I am going off his scouting report and his highlights but the best comparison that was thrown out so far, maybe by @auror? or @polycom? was Tyler Lydon.

Yeah I said Lydon but accidentally had it in the wrong thread so I deleted it lol.

His upside is Jonathan Isaac with better shooting.

Lydon is probably closer to average case scenario (2 and done should have been top 50 recruit, good efficiency numbers and steal/block numbers, wasn't a huge star because he didn't take enough shots).

Reaction Score
More athletic Polley with shot blocking ability

Polley is averaging 1.1 blocks per game, second place on the team. Is it possible you are comparing Akok to freshman Polley? I think Polley is playing well on both ends.

Reaction Score
Polley is averaging 1.1 blocks per game, second place on the team. Is it possible you are comparing Akok to freshman Polley? I think Polley is playing well on both ends.

I love Polley, but Akok is on an entirely different level as a shot blocker. Think 3 to 4 a game in his first season.

Reaction Score

Polley has a very solid 4.9% block rate. On the HS circuit, Akok had like a 14% block rate or thereabouts. It's not denigrating Polley. Akok is an Emeka/Thabeet/senior Hilton level eraser. He's just quicker, longer, and slightly taller than Polley.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how Hurley utilizes Polley and Akok together because ideally they both are stretch 4s. Neither is really a 3 or a 5. I guess against weaker competition you can play Akok at the 5 and Polley at the 4, with a 5 out offensive set.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how Hurley utilizes Polley and Akok together because ideally they both are stretch 4s. Neither is really a 3 or a 5. I guess against weaker competition you can play Akok at the 5 and Polley at the 4, with a 5 out offensive set.
Akok is a true 4, Polley and Sid are 3's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom