AK/ESPN combine story | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AK/ESPN combine story

Reaction Score
Brad was the coach. Danny brought in Brad's star player from his college coaching days. It wasn't just an accident.
This is exactly what happened.

And... it looked like a good move until injuries derailed it.

Reaction Score
I don't know, man. Castle did pretty confidently drain a few open 3s in a high-pressure spot early against Alabama in the Final Four (strongly reminiscent of wide-open Sanogo pouring in two in a row in the same scenario against Miami). Castle's stroke looked good by the end of the year.

He did those two 3's and the stroke looked better as compared to how bad it was in the beginning of the year. But we can't just ignore that he still shot under 27% for the year. Even if the argument is that he improved... He was 4-18 in the post-season. My point is not to crap on Castle. It's that incredibly talented basketball players shooting in rhythm with nobody guarding them is going to yield really impressive results. I would think we've seen enough guys dominated folding chairs over the years to walk it back just a bit. Maybe this vaults AK to the first round, but I'd think GMs will be looking at some aspects much more closely.

pj

Reaction Score
0x960.webp

Wow, 4 of the top 6 from one team. I bet that team was a tough out in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Alex has a very slow release due to how he loads with the hitch in his shot. There are definitely times he couldn't beat the shot clock buzzer since he does have a slow release.
I don't ever recall his release causing an issue with beating shot clock or hitting shots to end a half . He hit many buzzer beater 3's and even a couple 2's over the last two seasons. Any examples of what you're claiming?

Reaction Score
I don't ever recall his release causing an issue with beating shot clock or hitting shots to end a half . He hit many buzzer beater 3's and even a couple 2's over the last two seasons. Any examples of what you're claiming?

Well he said "definitely" during his post...that's all the proof you need that it's the truth!

Reaction Score
Castle’s number was good. What an upside to him. Wonder where he goes?

pj

Reaction Score
Alex has a very slow release due to how he loads with the hitch in his shot. There are definitely times he couldn't beat the shot clock buzzer since he does have a slow release.

It's true, that 25 second release does make it hard with a shot clock.

Reaction Score
People are getting a little out of control with his three point shooting. AK lighting it up from three in drills was pretty much expected. It’s the other stuff that will determine his draft stock and whether he goes or returns.

Could easily see him going. Could easily see him returning.
You can easily see him going. You can easily see him returning.
You need a new crystal ball

Reaction Score
Wow, 4 of the top 6 from one team. I bet that team was a tough out in the tourney.
The starter not showing will be the highest selection.

It's like they were all holding each other back. We really had a great team!

Reaction Score
Yeah, any concern about Karaban's release isn't his failure to beat the buzzer, it's whether he can get his shot off against NBA defenses.

Reaction Score
Is there a link to this stuff? I've looked but keep finding prior years.
Storrs Central has the UConn guys on the premium site. The NBA technically hasn't put the data up yet. It was up in an unlinked URL that people found, But the NBA took that down. I also found screenshots on Twitter from when it was up.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Being able to hit corner 3s is so important for how NBA offenses space the floor.

And it's an underrated skill. I was a good shooter, but mostly from the wing and top of the key. I hated shooting from the corners.

You're no Jrue Holiday, then

According to the NBA's official website, Jrue Holiday currently leads the league in 3-point percentage from the corner. Holiday is shooting 64.9% from the left side and 64.0% from the right side bringing his overall percentage from the corner to 64.4%

Reaction Score
Splitting hairs. Making a bunch of 25 footers is what it is. Catch and shoot - and making how many in a row from all different angles of run and spot up?

Reaction Score
You're no Jrue Holiday, then

According to the NBA's official website, Jrue Holiday currently leads the league in 3-point percentage from the corner. Holiday is shooting 64.9% from the left side and 64.0% from the right side bringing his overall percentage from the corner to 64.4%
Toughest part of the corner three is not stepping out of bounds

Reaction Score
"It's a win-win, no matter what," Karaban said, echoing a phrase both his mother, Olga, and Hurley have used. "Staying in the draft, of course, to chase my NBA dreams that I've wanted for a while now. But, going back to school, there's no better place to play college basketball than for UConn. Playing under Coach Hurley and the coaching staff for another year, that would be another blessing. I'd be just as happy going back as staying in the draft."

Alternate access:
Alex Karaban still undecided on his 'win-win' decision: NBA Draft or return to UConn men's basketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom