A'ja Wilson at The Myrtle Beach tournament- and an appearance by Geno | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson at The Myrtle Beach tournament- and an appearance by Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talent at this week long tournament. A'ja's team will be fighting for the 5th place trophy Saturday after losing in OT. She wound up with 40 points and 18 rebounds. In an earlier easy victory, she had 30 points and 24 rebounds in limited minutes. It seemed odd that she was 0/1 and 0/0 from three in these games, as she has proclaimed herself a wing player. Geno is unlike the other coaches scouting this tournament. They are covered with sports apparel with logos of their schools and sit at the long press table. Geno comes in quietly in a conservative gray suit and sits in the bleachers near the door. Few people recognized him.

Reaction Score
Thank You for the report.

Ive been to various recruiting events over the years and know exactly what you mean by these coaches being decked out in clothing that prominently displays their school's logo.

Geno is way bigger than that, as you well know, and he just doesn't need to do that. I'm certain tha AJA and her handlers knew that Geno was there.

If AJA knows whats really best for her future, then she will choose UCONN. However, the choice is her's to make.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If CD, Marisa or Shea go to an event, my bet is they show national flag blue bigtime.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talent at this week long tournament. A'ja's team will be fighting for the 5th place trophy Saturday after losing in OT. She wound up with 40 points and 18 rebounds. In an earlier easy victory, she had 30 points and 24 rebounds in limited minutes. It seemed odd that she was 0/1 and 0/0 from three in these games, as she has proclaimed herself a wing player. Geno is unlike the other coaches scouting this tournament. They are covered with sports apparel with logos of their schools and sit at the long press table. Geno comes in quietly in a conservative gray suit and sits in the bleachers near the door. Few people recognized him.
I don't know about the not recognizing him part. When he came to watch Kelly, I was sitting right behind him. I didn't realize who it was at first but when I saw the nice leather shoes and navy slacks, I took more notice. I saw his face and immediately looked to my wife in amazement. I never tried to speak to him, but trust me, people noticed. We had just gotten our first puppy two days before and my wife had her stashed in her purse - we had yet to name her. After that, I tried to convince my wife that it should be Auri Emma, but she had none of it.

The next year, when Kelly's team played Morgan's team, Shea was there, and needless to say she had on the Nike UConn outfit.

HGN

Reaction Score
Nice to know that Geno made an appearance at the high profile tournament that the last piece of his 2014 recruiting target is playing at.......And I hope the Wilson clan noticed as well. An earlier post noted that coaches from her other 3 schools , Tenn.,; UNC ; and USC , were present at an earlier game. Geno would not be outdone. A'ja is an important piece , perhaps the single most important piece , to the 2014 class.......Whoever signs her is going to be getting a difference maker.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just the fact that Geno is at the game tells me A'ja still has UConn high on her list. From everything I've heard its SC and UConn in that order. Again a lot of pressure from friends in SC that want her to stay there. I think Geno knows where he and UConn stand with A'ja and the fact that he is there tells me we are very much still in the running.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If my math is correct, players that are juniors in HS now will be seniors in college in the last year of Geno's contract. Perhaps that won't impact A'ja or Asia but maybe recruits thereafter.

Reaction Score
Just the fact that Geno is at the game tells me A'ja still has UConn high on her list. From everything I've heard its SC and UConn in that order. Again a lot of pressure from friends in SC that want her to stay there. I think Geno knows where he and UConn stand with A'ja and the fact that he is there tells me we are very much still in the running.

I never really understood the whole family and friends pressuring their loved ones to play local. Shouldn't they want her to play where she would be most successful? It should be what's in A'ja's best interest (UCONN) instead of her family's (South Carolina).

Reaction Score
I never really understood the whole family and friends pressuring their loved ones to play local. Shouldn't they want her to play where she would be most successful? It should be what's in A'ja's best interest (UCONN) instead of her family's (South Carolina).
The only thing South Carolina offers over UConn is local friends and family and warm weather. The academics are much better at UConn, and the basketball opportunity is obviously vastly better at UConn compared to pretty much everywhere else. It would be a mistake to go to South Carolina just to stay close to friends that she will likely not even be in touch with by the time she graduates college.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The only thing South Carolina offers over UConn is local friends and family and warm weather. The academics are much better at UConn, and the basketball opportunity is obviously vastly better at UConn compared to pretty much everywhere else. It would be a mistake to go to South Carolina just to stay close to friends that she will likely not even be in touch with by the time she graduates college.

Ask EDD if she agrees with that sentiment. If a kid thinks they will be happier closer to home, they should stay home. No doubt there have been other kids that came to UConn then ended up being miserable because :family was far away or for other reasons that didn't make it a good fit. UConn isn't a fit for every superstar. That is ok (Just don't go to Knoxville or South Bend, please :)>). Huskies will be ok too. Hope she can push aside any perceived pressure and go with her heart.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, EDD would agree you don't it for friends. For blood that's possible.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Does anybody here think that Geno won't get a contract extension? I have no doubt that Geno will finish his career at UConn. And, he isn't going anywhere until he breaks 1000 games and has 10 championships. He will probably get the 10 championships before he gets his 1000th game. When it is all said and done it will be Geno all alone at the top. Like they say in the miliary..."as it should be"...

Reaction Score
If CD, Marisa or Shea go to an event, my bet is they show national flag blue bigtime.
I would be quite surprised if CD didn't dress as conservatively as Geno. Among recruits I'm sure she is as well recognized as Geno. In fact it is probable that all of the UCONN coaches do not need to draw that kind of attention to themselves. The people who need to know that they are attending a game are likely to be quite aware that they are in the building. When you are a UCONN coach you just don't have to draw that much attention to yourself.

Reaction Score
Ask EDD if she agrees with that sentiment. If a kid thinks they will be happier closer to home, they should stay home. No doubt there have been other kids that came to UConn then ended up being miserable because :family was far away or for other reasons that didn't make it a good fit. UConn isn't a fit for every superstar. That is ok (Just don't go to Knoxville or South Bend, please :)>). Huskies will be ok too. Hope she can push aside any perceived pressure and go with her heart.
My point really was we all have to leave the nest some time. One would hope the parents would push her into the decision that's best for her future.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would be quite surprised if CD didn't dress as conservatively as Geno. Among recruits I'm sure she is as well recognized as Geno. In fact it is probable that all of the UCONN coaches do not need to draw that kind of attention to themselves. The people who need to know that they are attending a game are likely to be quite aware that they are in the building. When you are a UCONN coach you just don't have to draw that much attention to yourself.
There is likely one clear difference, I bet she doesn't put her feet up on the coffee table.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said this before that AjA will stay home and play for USC and good for her...........How many USC kids are playing Pro ball today?...........0

Reaction Score
There's been a basic change at USC in the last couple of years, and it dismays me to see so many fans dismissing any possible basketball advantage to be gained there. There are few people associated with the game for whom I have as much respect as I do for Dawn Staley. She's just starting to be able to put her own team together. I expect they will emerge as a national power quite rapidly over the next couple of years. As one of the most successful point guards in US history, Dawn understands and can communicate team/game systems. There aren't that many coaches in wcbb that have that ability (UConn is fortunate to have the best) but I'm sure Staley will grow into being as much a giant on the sidelines as she was bringing the ball up the court.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I said this before that AjA will stay home and play for USC and good for her...........How many USC kids are playing Pro ball today?...........0
So, where do you think A'Ja will go to school?

Herbie, your turn.

Reaction Score
So, where do you think A'Ja will go to school?

Herbie, your turn.

I'll take a shot.
UConn for sure if it was basketball alone. At the end of the day, she can go the KLM way or the EDD way. Either way, if she is good, she will be a high draft choice and she will be happy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There's been a basic change at USC in the last couple of years, and it dismays me to see so many fans dismissing any possible basketball advantage to be gained there. There are few people associated with the game for whom I have as much respect as I do for Dawn Staley. She's just starting to be able to put her own team together. I expect they will emerge as a national power quite rapidly over the next couple of years. As one of the most successful point guards in US history, Dawn understands and can communicate team/game systems. There aren't that many coaches in wcbb that have that ability (UConn is fortunate to have the best) but I'm sure Staley will grow into being as much a giant on the sidelines as she was bringing the ball up the court.
I had that feeling about Dawn until I saw the first half of the UNC game, which frankly surprised me - first time I had seen SC since Dawn arrive and I was expecting better defense and offensive sets, even if UNC had greater raw talent. So I was a little disappointed based on a very limited exposure.
I agree about all Dawn's player skills and game IQ, but that does not always translate to being a good coach. And the while she has built SC up to respectability, the jury is still out on the next step. The one marquee player she did recruit left after one year.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
jsloanjr has spoken.... WE"RE DOOMED!!!!!!

Reaction Score

I can see USC becoming a very good consistent team with Dawn as their coach. I just don't see them becoming a powerhouse program. Elite 8 caliber..maybe the occasional Final Four. UCONN has been so consistently dominant because Geno finds and develops the players that best fit his program..not just the top ranked players in every class. This is why UCONN will continue to win championships with or without Aja (Granted it may be easier with her in a Husky uniform).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom