Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged)

Reaction Score
He'll play but I just don't see him as a total stud right away and starting right away like some on the board think. It takes time for a freshman point guard. Diarra and Mahaney are battle tested. Ball will get a lot of time at the two whether he starts or is 6th man.
Nowell seems to be both mentally and physically built for it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This team will be talented enough to win it all as is, if Karaban comes back (I think he will) we need to be preseason #1.
Agree and I hope Diarra comes back as well. Two rings each and very experienced and valuable contributors. Both can turn a game around on a dime. Hurley revenge tour year 3.

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans are claiming that Trilly was saying on his Discord that UK refused to counter the offer that UConn gave Mahaney in NIL, but I don't sub to Trilly's discord so I'm not sure if it's legit.

This would not make any sense at all, given the amount of $$ Kentucky supposedly has relative to us. In fact, all you hear is that NIL is a non-issue for them, and that would be the last reason they lose a player. If anything, "the offer" may be referring to playing time, development, exposure, etc. but not NIL. It's easy for Kentucky to blame not getting him cause of NIL vs the real reasons. I mean, just look at his quotes...

Reaction Score
I’d bet money Mahaney is starting PG. Hurley made a reference that he’d love Hassan back as long as the role he envisioned for himself matched the staff’s role they saw for him. That tells me he’ll come off the bench in a similar role to last season. I think Diarra, McNeeley, and Reed are the main guys off the bench with Nowell getting consistent minutes too.
McNeeley off the bench??? Ya gotta be kidding, this kid is phenomenal.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
There's the ballhandler we needed. We're a complete team now if our vets come back (and I believe they will). My guess at a depth chart to start the year...

PG: Diarra, Nowell
SG: Mahaney, Solo
SF: McNeely, Stewart, Ross
PF: Karaban, Abraham
C: Reed, Samson, Singare

Obviously there's some positional flexibility there with Stewart especially (I believe he'll get 20 a game or more and his finishing at the rim will be the best on the team). But man, that team is deeper than we're used to. I see 8 guys who will definitely play and another 2 who can get there if (when) they put in the work. Enough vets to give our young guys space to develop, 3 good shooters and another 3-4 with known potential. Enough ballhandling and passing to break the press. Bruiser inside with a high-flyer for a different look. Probably 5 guys who are + defenders. A few STRONG guards.

We'll need out frontcourt to step up rebounding more than we're used to. And we may need to tighten up perimeter rotations without a guy like Clingan swallowing up 90% of layups. But wow... that's a good team. #7 imminent.

That bench would make the tournament on their own if everyone keeps developing.
and if Karaban does not return, is it:
PG: Diarra, Nowell
SG: Mahaney, Solo
SF: McNeely, Ross
PF: Stewart, Abraham
C: Reed, Samson, Singare

Reaction Score
This is how I felt when watching the UConn game at East Carolina in Feb 2020 2 weeks before the COVID lockdown. It was surreal watching Tristen Newton play for East Carolina and light up UConn to the tune of 25 pts 6 assists and 5 rebounds. If my current self traveled back in time to that day of the game and told my Feb 29, 2020 self that a player from this game will have their name put up on the wall of Gampel Pavilion, the Feb 2020 would've guessed James Bouknight and then Christian Vital. My Feb 2020 self would've been shocked it would be Tristen Newton even though he had a hell of a game against UConn.
Likewise, you can watch our 2nd round 2023 game against St. Mary's and tell yourself that someone playing in this game will help lead our quest for a 3-peat, and it could be 3 different guys in 2 different uniforms -- none of whom are Clingan or Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Great! This kid will really understand the enormous weight and power of wearing a UConn jersey. It's like a transfusion of Championship blood.

Reaction Score
Best quote:
“The coaching staff doesn’t rebuild at UConn, they reload,” Mahaney told ESPN. “There is no tip-toeing around the fact that the program is going for it all again, and I am ready to be a part of that journey towards continued greatness. One game at a time, obviously, but the goals at UConn are set the moment you walk into the facilities. National champs.”
This guy has played in two NCAA Tournaments and not made the second weekend. He's hungry.

Last year Hurley said he wanted to bring in new guys like that who hadn't won before. Cam Spencer epitomized that hunger.

Reaction Score
Would the prospect, now very legitimate, of chasing a 3-peat entice Karaban and Diarra to come back?

We've done things that have only been achieved rarely in this sport. We've achieved immortality.

Those guys have the chance to do something even beyond that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saying that KY got beat on NIL is just...

download.jpg

Reaction Score

First quote summarizes the type of player i love to get

"He is an elite processor". Hurley/Murray's FIBA/Carril offenses have alot of "run/pass" options depending on switches/d positioning, which guys like AK and Cam thrived in. The heady high IQ player is becoming the new UConn brand, and i just love that. Sounds like Aidan will help to keep that going

Reaction Score
Watching UK fans’ handwringing about how NIL and paying players has taken over the game has to be the least self-aware thing I’ve ever seen from a fanbase.

They are upstarts. The blue blood of delusional boards have to be Syracuse and Providence. UK has catching up to do

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the newly added talent makes coming back more attractive for both Karaban and Diarra, as they would have a shot to be starters on a 3-peat which hasn’t happened in like 60 years
They will have a shot at making more history at Connecticut, a place difficult to make history at. I suspect it will appeal to them.

Reaction Score
The players matter too…

Are you not impressed with the talent we have on our roster? Is there another program out there that you think at this moment is in better shape?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
First quote summarizes the type of player i love to get

"He is an elite processor". Hurley/Murray's FIBA/Carril offenses have alot of "run/pass" options depending on switches/d positioning, which guys like AK and Cam thrived in. The heady high IQ player is becoming the new UConn brand, and i just love that. Sounds like Aidan will help to keep that going
I was at my ortho doc this morning getting cortisone shots for my knees. He played backup PG for Princeton in Carril's last season and got some garbage time in the '97 tourney. I asked him how he liked watching UConn. Said, "It's a beautiful offense. Fun to watch. It's like no other team in the tourney even played offense."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom