Adubs European "vacation" | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Adubs European "vacation"

Reaction Score
OK This is going to be spread over multiple days and posts because I'm 9 days in to this thing already and need to start from the beginning.

This sweet blahg will have it all. You will laugh, cry, and root for my demise and pain (BY favorite pastime), I have already lived and died 1000 times so far and the best part is there are 8 days left for me to end up in a NHS room, which seems to be tradition here as that is where I ended up on last summers trip as well. This will also be a travel review as I have been on every mode of transportation, hotel, etc..... and I have a lot to say about that.

I have time right now because as I type this I am bed ridden with 102 degree fever thanks to our friend, Covid (39 Celsius since I'm in Europe which coincidentally was the same temp outside that was record setting 2 days ago when my fever spiked to 104 in the hills of Alva, Scotland in an air bnb that has no air conditioning and windows that can only open 2 inches. My 7 month pregnant fiancée (will be heretofore referred to as GF because I don't like typing the word I always misspell it) is next to me in bed right now also with Covid. Mine may be funny, hers isn't considering the pregnancy.

But I am getting ahead of myself, there is so much more! So let's travel back in time 9 days, and start with part 1 which I call "Go pound sand British Airways!"
Did this wedding get scheduled in conjunction with the British Open at St Andrews? There are pictures of about 1000 unclaimed golf bags in London.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It takes me about 5 seconds to throw in a FFS when around Brits. For ____ Sake.
It just rolls off the lips.

Love that they call the highways, Parkways or Interstates an Autoway or Motorway. Makes more sense than driving on a Parkway and parking in a driveway.

It’s the little things. in America many people when speaking unconsciously interject “umm” in to their pauses.
They do it here too. A lot . But it’s isn’t umm it’s is Erm which sounds like “airim” in Scotland

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh, and I need one or two decent pavilion seats for Phish in Hartford on Sunday for face value. Can any of your w00ks back home hook me?
I sent a text to someone this morning and then realized it was 5 am there and probably not happy with me getting 5 am texts on the road. Oops. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
I have to travel to Europe for work a couple of times in the Fall and will most likely be landing or connecting through Heathrow or Amsterdam. I had been hearing horror stories about Amsterdam over the past few months and was leaning towards using Heathrow. Now, I'm not so sure. I'll probably end up leaving a day earlier just to get one extra day of padding for all these situaitons. Regardless I'll make sure any connection in Europe has 3-4 hours and I'm not connecting on to the last flight of the day.

Bummer about BA and Terminal 5. I've enjoyed that lounge a few times and was never disappointed. BTW, that Terminal 5 Hilton hotel is fantastic if you need a place to crash. Terminal 4 Hilton isn't bad but Terminal 5 is another level of goodness.
I flew through Amsterdam less than 2 weeks ago. Major issue was the 40 or so people they pulled out of line when we scanned to board for an 'extra security' check. Told me it was because of where I came from, czech, but my son who was traveling with me got on the plane. We took off almost an hour late by the time they got through all of us.

August_West

Reaction Score
Part 2 :Edinburgh- Bridezilla vs. British open

So I left off at getting to the Ramada Hounslow/ Heathrow London. Not going to spend too much time on it but just to say that it was horrible . We didn’t want to spend too much on it because at that exact moment we had a 300 pound a night hotel sitting empty and paid for in Glasgow ( where we actually supposed to be before BA screwed us). So this Ramada was 175 pounds it was after 1 am and we knew we wouldn’t be there long as we had to get to Edinburgh . Places was a dump. Size of a closet with 3 single beds with 2 of them pushed together. There was a hole in bathroom door and the AC was broken ( and it was hot!) We got maybe 3 hours of fitful sleep took a shower and decide to just get to Kings Cross for a 5 hour train ride to Edinburgh. Kings cross was 12 miles fron
Our hotel. It took 90 minutes to get there in an expensive Uber. But it is what is London is a busy city, and a cool city but I love Edinburgh so much more so it was time to get there! ……

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s the little things. in America many people when speaking unconsciously interject “umm” in to their pauses.
They do it here too. A lot . But it’s isn’t umm it’s is Erm which sounds like “airim” in Scotland

Did some work in Netherlands last year for the first time. I'll be going back again this fall. The people I was working with were discussing some of the push and pull between older generation and newer generation with language. Older generations are very aware of losing the Dutch language. Younger kids flip between Dutch and English much like we'd hear Spanglish here in the US. All Dutch kids learn English throughout grade school.

I asked him if they are taught the Queens English or American English. I thought it was legit question because there is also plenty of real anger between mainland Europe and the Brits. He laughed and said they learn Queens English. Without skipping a beat he followed up with saying if they want to speak more like American English they are taught to speak while pretending they have a potato in their mouth.

So, us Yanks have that going for us.

Reaction Score
Ever listen to a Rory McIlroy interview? Has his own variation of the term.. Sprinkles it throughout his dialogue.. And yes.. I understand he's Irish..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I sent a text to someone this morning and then realized it was 5 am there and probably not happy with me getting 5 am texts on the road. Oops. We’ll see.
Thanks! Cash or Trade has been brutal for pavilion seats. They disappear instantly. Lawn seats are plentiful and can be had for a discount, but I don't like the lawn there, and the forecast is rainy and hot.

Reaction Score
So… Anyone else wondering about whether it’s a good idea for August to be mixing opioids with scotch?
Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Reaction Score

So I left off at getting to the Ramada Hounslow/ Heathrow London. Not going to spend too much time on it but just to say that it was horrible . We didn’t want to spend too much on it because at that exact moment we had a 300 pound a night hotel sitting empty and paid for in Glasgow ( where we actually supposed to be before BA screwed us). So this Ramada was 175 pounds it was after 1 am and we knew we wouldn’t be there long as we had to get to Edinburgh . Places was a dump. Size of a closet with 3 single beds with 2 of them pushed together. There was a hole in bathroom door and the AC was broken ( and it was hot!) We got maybe 3 hours of fitful sleep took a shower and decide to just get to Kings Cross for a 5 hour train ride to Edinburgh. Kings cross was 12 miles fron
Our hotel. It took 90 minutes to get there in an expensive Uber. But it is what is London is a busy city, and a cool city but I love Edinburgh so much more so it was time to get there! ……

I fully understand booking a Ramada where you just wanted to crash for a few hours and get on the move. But you don’t get to book a Ramada and then complain about the room. It is what it is.

we want more!! You are doing a wonderful job of making me feel better about how boring my life has been since Covid hit

August_West

Reaction Score
I fully understand booking a Ramada where you just wanted to crash for a few hours and get on the move. But you don’t get to book a Ramada and then complain about the room. It is what it is.

we want more!! You are doing a wonderful job of making me feel better about how boring my life has been since Covid hit
I will. I’m on a 3.5 hour car ride right now going from Alva to Dunoon through the Highlands thought I could write through it, but getting bounced around and in and out for cell service. Just stopped for a scone in Nuss ( Loch Lomond). Give me a bit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly this was the first thing I noticed about my British friends when I met them -- yes they use some silly words like "carpark", but the most noticeable one is using the C-word the way Americans casually throw around "d__k".
Easy to spot in Shaun of the Dead and it's ilk.

Reaction Score

For any travelers….Heathrow Express is by FAR the easiest way into central London. Drops u at Paddington. 20 mins

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I've done that train ride twice. Very Harry Potter train. It's nice. Agree with you on Edinburgh, possibly my favorite city. Certainly top 5.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I will. I’m on a 3.5 hour car ride right now going from Alva to Dunoon through the Highlands thought I could write through it, but getting bounced around and in and out for cell service. Just stopped for a scone in Nuss ( Loch Lomond). Give me a bit.
Are you actually going all the way around? Not taking the ferry? If you just went by Loch Lomond then yes, it seems so. Long drive indeed. I've only done that in the reverse direction, Oban to Glasgow. Traffic was brutal on the A82 in summer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really hope this is going somewhere spectacular. I mean so far, it’s all good, but we need some payoff moments. I’m a little wary of an anticlimactic ending. You know, something like August wakes up at home only to discover Bobby from Dallas is in the shower and it was all a dream.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I really hope this is going somewhere spectacular. I mean so far, it’s all good, but we need some payoff moments. I’m a little wary of an anticlimactic ending. You know, something like August wakes up at home only to discover Bobby from Dallas is in the shower and it was all a dream.
He wakes up at the Big Texan with five minutes on the clock and 24 ounces more steak to eat to win the challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom