Adamec: Five questions for Carol Callan | The Boneyard

Adamec: Five questions for Carol Callan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
3. UConn’s Breanna Stewart is the youngest player in the national team pool as she turns 20 in August. Coming off a sophomore season that saw her named national collegiate Player of the Year, what do you see next for her with USA Basketball?

Callan: “Clearly as she’s progressed she’s always played up in her age group and had multiple times on the U-19 team. So she’s played up and with her age group. I would expect in her progression as she continues to prepare she will have opportunities. We’re not going to hold anything against a player because she’s too young or too old. Breanna will have a chance to duke it out and try to be on this world championship team. I think her potential is really, really, good. And she’s a great kid.”

LINK

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
great article. thanks for posting

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though the last 5-8 cuts could be very tough, I think Stewie makes the team. She often plays up, and she is a match-up nightmare even at that level. Between her offensive repertoire and shot blocking, she gives us versatility.

My wild guess, relative to the London squad, is that Stewie and Elena replace Swin and Asjha. That assumes that everyone is healthy. Catch and Syl are currently injured. Britney has a good shot, especially if she can slow Cambage.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really wonder about the 'transitional' planning and whether they look to add any younger guards to the mix for the WC, if they wait till the prep for the 2016 Olympics, or if they leave it till the 2018 WC. It is definitely an aging core group and USA basketball tends to want younger players to be blooded before they actually will be expected to start. I actually think that has become less important than previously with the amount of international experience these players are getting now on club teams.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Though the last 5-8 cuts could be very tough, I think Stewie makes the team. She often plays up, and she is a match-up nightmare even at that level. Between her offensive repertoire and shot blocking, she gives us versatility.

My wild guess, relative to the London squad, is that Stewie and Elena replace Swin and Asjha. That assumes that everyone is healthy. Catch and Syl are currently injured. Britney has a good shot, especially if she can slow Cambage.

I'd be interested to see what the US does in your scenario. Asjha and Swin are both primarly paint players, while Stewart and EDD are not (although EDD appears to be doing more of that). I'd love to see BS develop a true post game (like a center), along with her improvements in handling. I think she could almost play 4 positions at the "best in the world" level. The skills certainly are there, but there's a mentality that goes with it too.

And Griner's got to be a guarantee (unless injured), no? There's no one else in the world like her at the center position. She completely changes how the other team has to operate.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And I don't see how Nneka Ogwumike could be excluded from the next Olympic team. Recall that in 2012 (her first WNBA season) the roster had to be finalized before the WNBA season started. After Griner declined, Asjha Jones was selected. Then Nneka tore up the WNBA as a rookie, and many people (including myself) felt that it had been an error to select Asjha instead of her. Her subsequent WNBA career has validated the initial impression -- she belongs on the US Olympic team in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom