Adamec: early losses fueled the team for Napheesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/colliers-journey-ends-with-third-state-title/

The link is to Carl's blog on Napheesa's thoughts after winning another
state championship. If this young lady does not player 'starter minutes' next year whether it be from
actually starting the game or by coming off the bench, I'll be shocked. Her talent plus Geno's observation
on her efforts on both ends of the court will make it happen.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm expecting minutes to be distributed similarly to this between starters and bench. It is not clear yet who will be among the starters and the bench. Only one starter position is opening for sure.

Reaction Score
I think NC has better chance for minutes early than KLS because of her more balanced game, i.e. defense.
Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think NC has better chance for minutes early than KLS because of her more balanced game, i.e. defense.
Thoughts?

These are just obscene career numbers: “She finished her career (she played her freshman season at Jefferson City High) with 2,808 points on 70.6 percent shooting from the floor, 1,346 rebounds, 367 assists, 469 steals, and 328 blocked shots.”
This makes her a future UCONN team captain and leader IMO: “I concentrated on making sure everyone was on the same page and that everyone was focused on the things, especially the little things, that we needed to do to win the game,”
I definitely think The Pheenom will be more prepared to play than KLS especially defensively.
I don’t see how you keep this kid out of the lineup and give her starters minutes >20+ mins/ game from day 1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
70% shooting for her career! Look out Tamika! Your record may be challenged.

I think Napheesa's game is more balanced and she'll get lots of PT. But Lou is a zone buster who will open the inside for Stewie et al. I think Moriah and Kia are now officially zone busters too. The bench will be incredible and consist of future All-Americans: Gabby, Napheesa, Lou.

Reaction Score
I agree with the other contributors, I don't see how she won't be a key part of next year's core group. I think that next year will be more of a challenge for Geno to find minutes for his 11 scholarship players then he has faced for a long while. It will put pressure on Ekmark and Chong to improve their games with four starters back, Butler and Williams as key components and two top five recruits (if NC is not in the top five she certainly should be) coming in. Maybe we'll see a nine player rotation like we did in 2000, but Geno generally doesn't go beyond eight. Even with her experience I don't see Chong cracking the top eight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There will be plenty of time to debate this over the summer. I agree with most of your assessments except I think only 3 starters (Stewie, MoJeff, and Morgan) are locked in for next year IMO. That leaves 5 players (Gabby, Natalie, The Pheemon, KLS, & Nurse) all competing for 2 starting positions. Nurse is the incumbent starter but all the other bring something (size, shooting, versatility, athleticism) that could give them the edge for a starting position.
There are adequate minutes to go to a 9 person rotation where you could have 4 players (Natalie, Morgan, Stewie, Boykin) competing for minutes at 2 spots F/C & PF. That would leave 5 players (Gabby, The Pheemon, KLS, & Nurse, MoJeff) logging minutes at the PG, SG and S/F positions. I agree that Chong & Ekmark will have to improve significantly-especially defensively- to make the regular rotation. I would love to hear form Sluconn on this topic because I think I coming around to his way of thinking.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We are losing basically 50 minutes a game from this years team to graduation and adding 4 new players. Not sure I see much change in minutes for the current roster - Gabby is not likely to start so 17 +/- minutes may be about right. That then leaves an average of 12.5 minutes each for the new players - solid minutes for freshman, but ...

The thing I do see is a much more dangerous team when Geno goes to the bench, and it may be even harder to slow the scoring down. They could well challenge the 91.2 team record scoring average from 1998-9.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Saniya is the third guard so even if she is not the equal of NC or KLS I expect her to still get a lot of minutes.
Yep. And really we aren't that deep there. Ekmark is a 2/3, Samuelson probably a 3/2/4, but mostly a 3. After that, ???

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Chong's really the only backup to Jefferson so she has to play.

I've said for a year that PT is going to be a real interesting situation next year. We could have an entire 10-page thread on the issue and I'm sure we will prior to the season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if a Freshmen Starts it will be Napheesa. She's more ready for the physical and defensive play in College. KLS is the better outside shooter, but not as good defensively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if a Freshmen Starts it will be Napheesa.

I don't think there's any doubt that IF a freshmen starts it'll be Collier. I still don't expect it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Collier and Lou come into the game from the bench in tandem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only reason I could see Lou getting more time is that we are losing Kaleena and the one player of the four 'new' players that most closely matches Kaleena's skill set is Lou. She really is an amazing three point shooter - don't think I have seen a faster release in the women's game - and while she may not be as strong a defender as Collier she is taller and not a bad defender.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chong's really the only backup to Jefferson so she has to play.

I've said for a year that PT is going to be a real interesting situation next year. We could have an entire 10-page thread on the issue and I'm sure we will prior to the season.
Kia can back-up Moriah, with someone else sliding in at SG. The candidates include Courtney, Lou, and Napheesa. I'm not saying that it's very likely, but depending on the newbies, injuries, etc., Geno may get creative.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
and while she may not be as strong a defender as Collier she is taller and not a bad defender.

Eh, I don't know about that. I think Geno might see it differently. He wants perimeter defenders to get in a low stance and I've yet to see Lou be anything but straight up, usually way off her player. She's got a lot of work to do on that end of the floor, imo.

Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know about that. I think Geno might see it differently. He wants perimeter defenders to get in a low stance and I've yet to see Lou be anything but straight up, usually way off her player. She's got a lot of work to do on that end of the floor, imo.
I agree. Auriemma will wear her out with that never ending defense drill. Until she proves herself defensively, she won't get much PT on a team this loaded.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She may end up playing closer to the basket on defense with her hight. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom