Adamec: Cinci's Elliot always at home at UConn | The Boneyard

Adamec: Cinci's Elliot always at home at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
No one was happier than Jamelle Elliott last winter when University of Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma signed a contract to stay with the Huskies for five more years.

“I tease him that he can’t retire until I beat him,” Elliott said with a laugh.

LINK

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Not to sound like "an old faht", but I suspect there are a few loyal UConn fans who might not realize how incredible Jamelle was as a Husky. This article points out one aspect of her awesomeness: there are but 4 members of the 1,000 pt/1,000 rebound club - Lobo, Moore, Charles, and Elliot. Another aspect is revealed by a story related by..Carla Berube? .. when she was booted out of practice once - that the person she was most upset in disappointing wasn't Geno, or CD - it was her teammate, Jamelle. And, of course, there's Geno's story about his wanting to "go after" an official, but he realized all his coaching staff was between him and his intended target "I knew I could get past Tonya - she's small. I knew I could get past Chris - she's skinny. But, I knew I wasn't going to get past Jamelle."

Jamelle Elliot is one of the true lions of Husky WBB history - fierce of heart, intimidating in stare, and deeply loyal. One of the real good guys.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not to sound like "an old faht", but I suspect there are a few loyal UConn fans who might not realize how incredible Jamelle was as a Husky. This article points out one aspect of her awesomeness: there are but 4 members of the 1,000 pt/1,000 rebound club - Lobo, Moore, Charles, and Elliot. Another aspect is revealed by a story related by..Carla Berube? .. when she was booted out of practice once - that the person she was most upset in disappointing wasn't Geno, or CD - it was her teammate, Jamelle. And, of course, there's Geno's story about his wanting to "go after" an official, but he realized all his coaching staff was between him and his intended target "I knew I could get past Tonya - she's small. I knew I could get past Chris - she's skinny. But, I knew I wasn't going to get past Jamelle."

Jamelle Elliot is one of the true lions of Husky WBB history - fierce of heart, intimidating in stare, and deeply loyal. One of the real good guys.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Pinot...What a fine post. Thanks

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The information Jamele shared about her mom's death and the family relocation offers some insight into what it means to be part of Geno's UConn family: "he'll go through a wall for you." Powerful testimony.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Great read -- thanks.
Jamelle remains my all-time favorite Husky.

HGN

Reaction Score
Fantastic article....Really shows that Geno has a big heart and cares about his players , lives , their family , and well being. Reveals a side of Geno that many never see or hear about.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Jamelle's Senior Night was so memorable. It was the first time that her parents were able to see her play in person. I'll never forget the look on Charlotte Elliott's face as she was wheeled out to center court, She kept looking around with a look of awe at all of the fans standing and cheering their hearts out for her daughter.

JJ's really special.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Jamelle and Nykesha Sales embracing each other after the 1995 NC was, along with Chris Dailey in tears, one of my favorite moments.

Reaction Score
"Ironically, the 2003 and 2004 title teams will be inducted into the Huskies of Honor program on Sunday."

Ironically??? no coincidences here...I would think that this was specifically scheduled so that most members of those teams can make it, especially Jamelle.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jamelle maximized her abilities like no other. She was a 5'10" power forward who wasn't quick...couldn't jump....but willed her way to points, rebounds and overall effectiveness for our #1 ring.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno said on his show last night that he loves Jamelle like a daughter.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Geno said on his show last night that he loves Jamelle like a daughter.

I think the feelings go both ways - I recall Jamelle's first visit to Storrs as Cincy head coach....it was a very emotional and in some ways difficult thing for her

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think the feelings go both ways - I recall Jamelle's first visit to Storrs as Cincy head coach....it was a very emotional and in some ways difficult thing for her

Yes- and continued to be even in subsequent years, even if it was at Cincy. She knows who she is, where's she's from, and what she's experienced, and it'll always feel surreal to her seeing Geno and CD (probably even Shea) alongside a bunch of young women wearing uniforms with UConn on then.

Reaction Score
Jamelle is my favorite Husky as well. I remain convinced that it was Jamelle who willed her team to come back against Virginia in the 95 NCAA game to get to the Final Four. I remember her throwing the ball into the stratosphere after they won. Love her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom