Adamec: Auriemma has blunt response... | The Boneyard

Adamec: Auriemma has blunt response...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I like Carl's story because he includes more than Geno's response to Shaughnessy; Carl also includes Geno's response to the frequent question: tell me again, why haven't you moved on to coach men?

Enjoy this, or better yet, enjoy the video. BTW, I think Geno answers his own question about why basketball is the only sport in which the women are compared to the men. It's because the guys doing the comparing (and denigrating) play or played basketball. They all think they can play better than the women. Geno's response to them at the end is terrific.

"So, whoever those men are that coach those professional women's tennis players, if they were any good they would be coaching men's tennis players, right?" Auriemma said. "It's the world that we live in. When I coached high school, when I coached high school girls, I was 21 years old. A guy asked me to do him a favor, so I did. I didn't go, 'You know what, some day I want to be talking to a guy from the L.A. Times about John Wooden.'

"I did it because I like the game and I thought this could be fun. So I did it and it was fun. And we won some games. And then when Phil Martelli, the coach of Saint Joseph's (University in Philadelphia) asked me to be his assistant, I said that could be fun. So I did it. And I thought, this could be fun for the rest of my life. I could teach school and coach high school boys. This could be a lot of fun for the rest of my life.

"Then he said, 'Why don't you go to University of Virginia and be an assistant women's coach?' I said, that could be fun. I've never been to Charlottesville, I'd never been at a school like UVa. Let me try it. And then when I got the job at Connecticut, I thought, yeah, this could be really cool. So, now, you know, 30, 40 years later, I'm sitting here and I'm thinking, 'Wow, I didn't realize so many people thought that was a dumb idea. That I got it all wrong. That I should be doing something completely different because I'm a guy.' It just, I'm always baffled by, especially in basketball, why everything has to be compared to the men. Why?

"I have never heard Serena Williams have to answer a question, 'Well if you're any good, stop beating all those women. Why don't you play Roger Federer?' That's not the point, is it? You just compete against the people you compete against. And that should be good enough. And that's one of the problems that I have with our Olympic team. I coach the most dominant women's national team in the world. We've won five straight gold medals. And yet we're never good enough because we're at the same venue as the greatest team in the world with the greatest players in the world.

"So we're always being compared to that. Yet no one ever compares our women's World Cup soccer team to our men. But no matter what Diana Taurasi does, no matter what Seimone Augustus does, no matter what any of those kids do, 'Well, you're not LeBron (James). Yeah, you're pretty good, but you're not Kevin Durant.' You kidding me? And all the guys and all the people that are saying that, neither are you. As a matter of fact, you're not Diana Taurasi even.

"So we don't appreciate people for how good they are and what a good job they do, we always have to compare it to something. And it's only in women's basketball. It's the only sport where that happens. The only sport, day in, day out, year in, year out, we're faced with those questions and those comparisons. No other sport is. No other athlete is ever subjected to the same thing as a women's basketball player. And Breanna Stewart, when she gets to the WNBA, or if she makes the Olympic team, 'Yeah, she's good, but she couldn't beat Kevin Durant.' Every day. Every day. Every day. And after a while -- I'm proud of the way those kids handle themselves -- you just get tired of answering those questions.

"You get tired of all the idiot guys that played JV basketball weighing in their two cents going, 'UConn couldn't beat a good high school boys basketball team.' Right, the one you couldn't play on, probably. It's amazing. It's absolutely amazing. And I really admire how hard they play and how competitive they are, and how passionate they are and I have even more respect for them as I get older because of how little respect some people have for what they do."

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/aurie...aughnessy-and-coaching-men-question/169294800

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Truth is UConn plays the best basketball in the nation without regard to gender. The very best men's teams are beset with guys who can't pass and can't shoot. If you have to kids who can pass and 2 that can shoot they pencil you in to the SI preseason review as a contender. And most mens teams play an offense that has about 8 set plays and read and react is a mystery to them. You cannot be a true fan of the game of basketball and fail to acknowledge the greatness that UConn puts on the floor every game.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I always thought of Calhoun as a blue collar, gym rat coach - in the best possible sense. I give props to Geno for not only saying what's on his mind - hell, I do that - but in an intelligent, articulate way that totally discredits those with uniformed or just ignorant opinions. I wish I had that ability.

Reaction Score
Great catches, RockyMTblue2. Thanks so much.
All year, we've known UConn is on the verge of something truly remarkable, and it's great to see this rising embrace of the moment by the media.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Truth is UConn plays the best basketball in the nation without regard to gender. The very best men's teams are beset with guys who can't pass and can't shoot. If you have to kids who can pass and 2 that can shoot they pencil you in to the SI preseason review as a contender. And most mens teams play an offense that has about 8 set plays and read and react is a mystery to them. You cannot be a true fan of the game of basketball and fail to acknowledge the greatness that UConn puts on the floor every game.

Nothing left to say after this perfect post.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
yup I've been saying it for a while, the comparisions to Jordan, Wilt, Bill Russell etc. is just silly!

Reaction Score
Anybody else happen to catch the interesting shift in Stewart's response to the question regarding the Miss. St. coach comparing them to a WNBA team? She mentions the difference between pro level and college, saying there will be "an adjustment that, you know, the three of us - or the two of us [gesturing toward MoJeff] - are gonna have to make in the coming year". My take - she is being respectful to Tuck, not wishing to reveal, or even assume, her latent decision on her immediate future plans.

Reaction Score
Coach Geno is right. I can't golf (tried, for sure!), but the only reason that I tuned in to the PGA was to watch Tiger Woods chase history. I watched golf to see how this amazing golfer would overcome the world's best golfers. I watched for the magnificent shot, for the booming drive, for the brilliant way in which Tiger would get himself out of a pickle with a shot between the branches and over a sand trap that landed the ball right next to the hole, a shot that had everyone sputtering that no one else in the world could do that.

I am also old enough to remember the Dean Smith teams at North Carolina. Believe me, the other ACC teams had tremendous talent, and played UNC really, really hard. But Dean Smith's teams always found a way to win, and it was often through brilliant coaching. His teams played the same way year in, and year out.

And that's why Coach Geno Auriemma's Connecticut women's basketball teams are so wonderful to watch. It's not that they're talented, that's the least of it. It's that they play a wonderful, beautiful game of team basketball that no one else in the country can replicate. Lots of top talent goes elsewhere. But the players who do go to UConn learn to play in a way that is so brilliant that almost no other team can defeat them, even the most talented in the nation.

And that is very, very good for women's basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really like that John recognized the importance of that second answer to the other question and gave it in its entirety - that was a powerful and much more important answer to a much more important issue with women's basketball.
Women in every other sport are celebrated for great accomplishments:
I have never heard anyone say about the WC women's soccer team 'yeah, but if they played against the NE Revolution they would get slaughtered'
Or Jackie Joiner Kersee 'What a joke, her distances and times wouldn't even qualify her for an Olympic men's team'
Or Bonnie Blair 'She skated that slow, and still won a gold! You got to be kidding me! Eric Heiden used to do those times during his cool down laps after a practice.'
Or Missy Franklin 'Phelps could have given her a 10 second head start and still beaten her.'
Or Navratilova 'Her power serve is slower than McEnroe's junk serve!'

Reaction Score
Wanted to come over here from the Cardinal contingent and give Gino his props for his comments. He was spot on with everything he said. I also believe he is right in that UConn success is challenging all the other programs to become better. If that a$$hat Shaughnessy is right then why are programs such as ours seeing more and more fans each year. I'm getting tired of these old washed up reporters that are too lazy to do any research and see that what is happening in the women's game is 180 degrees opposite of what he is saying.

Reaction Score
Dan Shaughnessy is an ass who's been mailing in his work for years now. CHB should have been bought out by the Globe when they were cleaning house a few years ago. I don't know how he escaped & is allowed to continue writing write his driveling nonsense. His comments on hockey are equally stupid, that's how I learned to despise his work.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Good idea on not giving him the clicks. Guys like him throw crap out and don't care anymore as long as they get the "clicks". We've got one at the Courier Journal named Tim Sullivan. If you ever see anything with his byline, just pass it on by. And radio hosts . . . don't get me started.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the jerk wrote a whole article in the Boston Globe. Don't click in if you don't want to read his self-justifying drivel and how he really enjoys women's sports and even knows some women.

Apropos of nothing, his niece played for the Hartford team in World Team Tennis. I went to a match and ended up sitting next to Mayor Mike.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing, his niece played for the Hartford team in World Team Tennis. I went to a match and ended up sitting next to Mayor Mike.

Shaughnessy's (defensive) comments about his affection for women's sports were really hollow. When he added his recitation of participation by family members it had the same phony ring as the old line: "Some of my best friends are __[fill in minority group] " to "prove" how tolerant they are.

Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc