AD Dave Brandon expected to resign at U-M, sources say | The Boneyard

AD Dave Brandon expected to resign at U-M, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...an/2014/10/31/dave-brandon-michigan/18238801/

SIPeteThamel 11:44am via Twitter for iPhone
The obvious names at UM are Jeff Long from Ark, Brad Bates from BC and Warde Manuel from UConn.

1267527853_old_guy_going_crazy.gif

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If losing the "Rock Star" to Michigan is the price to pay for UConn's admission to the B1G & subsequent expansion of the RENT, Husky Nation will gladly pay it.

Thats a hell of a spin - but I thought its on the Presidents when it comes to that more than an AD? I could be wrong.
And I would agree - I would drive him to Ann Arbor tonight if it meant B1G invite and send out spamming emails to the Michigan President supporting his hire with return email addresses of industry peers.

Reaction Score
LOL. I see nothing more here than a Syracuse writer tooling around UCONN country. It's nice that he took a shot at BC too, FWIW. It's the only way they can make themselves feel good about their university. Unfortunately, the pen is a mighty weapon.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
'Earlier this week, mgoblog.com posted caustic and condescending emails that fans wrote to Brandon with their concerns about the athletic department. The website reviewed email exchanges between Brandon and several different fans in which he allegedly told one to "quit drinking and go to bed" and another to "find a new team to support."

Wow - he responds the exact same way Boneyard posters respond - I dont see an issue!

http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-brandon-michigan-wolverines-ad-leaving-post

Reaction Score
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...an/2014/10/31/dave-brandon-michigan/18243343/

>>Brandon's successor likely will come after a national search, but several names — all with Michigan ties — already have been mentioned as front-runners: Boston College athletic director Brad Bates and Connecticut athletic director Warde Manuel, both former U-M football players; former U-M associate athletic director of development Joe Parker, now deputy athletic director at Texas Tech; and Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long, a former U-M assistant AD. If U-M wanted Long and wanted to move rapidly, a complicating factor may be that he is currently the head of the College Football Playoff committee.<<

Reaction Score
Unless there is some sort of internal political connections at UM that are in play, can not see Warde being hired at Michigan at this point in his career. While he done a good job cleaning up the APR mess, any success he has had has been from incumbent coaches or in Ollie's case already coach in waiting.

Michigan job is about football and while he has football background his results around football are spotty at best. At Buffalo, the coach he hired was just fired after a 20-36 record with one good season. He should not have let Pasqualoni come back for year three with GDL on his staff as too much influence on PP and had no choice but to let him go after the 0-4 start or would have been his head. While Diaco appears to have some upside his record is 1-6 so far.

Michigan's place as a power player is secure but can not help his cause that UCONN while seemingly was clearly next in line in re-alignment two years ago, Warde allowed himself to be out-worked by Louisville AD who claimed the spot and now we are in the pack for re-alignment with others instead of being next clear choice. While I think Warde is smart and savvy enough to move on to a P5 school as AD and get a bigger check, but even with his ties to the school he does not appear to the man for the job at this point in his career.

Reaction Score
Michigan alumni believe that coaches with Michigan ties like Les Miles & Harbaugh want to return to Michigan to save the program & that Brandon was unable to "close" these potential targets. Thus they were forced to settle on Hoke.

Any new AD target is going to be someone that is perceived as being able to bring a big name coach, preferably with UM ties, to Michigan. It is unlikely that Warde has that type of perception especially if Jeff Long is a real candidate

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel (according to Wikipedia played football at Michigan from 86-89) played with Jim Harbaugh on the 1986 Michigan team, was a player there when Miles was an assistant in 87-89. If those are the reported 2 savior coaches...of the 3 candidates mentioned for AD..he has direct ties to both of those coaches.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can't see Warde getting the job. He blew it when he gave P that 3rd year.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can't see Warde getting the job. He blew it when he gave P that 3rd year.
If you think that was 100% a Warde Manuel call, not sure what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Michigan president sets criteria, goals for next athletic director
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ets-criteria-goals-for-next-athletic-director

>>I’ll be looking for a person that prioritizes the welfare and the experience of our student athletes,” he said. “A person of unquestioned integrity, not just integrity to the level of NCAA rules, but integrity to the Michigan way of doing athletics. I’ll be looking for somebody that appreciates the bond, the cultural aspects of this great athletic program and what it does for our community. I’ll be looking for somebody who wants to make the athletic program as tightly integrated a part of the overall university environment as possible. Beyond that, we’ve yet to define a more specific job description, but we will.” <<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom