Abro, Hanson '76 Huskies | The Boneyard

Abro, Hanson '76 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ider-1976-duke-uconn-game-20141217-story.html

I am not sure if this article was posted but it's another of great memories. I was at the Garden for this one and to beat Gminski and Duke then wasn't quite as big as the games now, but it was as big of a game as they would play in those days for sure. They had Duke on the ropes and with a 35 second clock potentially come out with a W but Foster bored the crowd with his stall tactics. I as a 16 year old and was yelling at the Duke coach from about 3 miles away in the 2nd deck LOL.........fun game to go see with my dad, uncles and brother. If we had Joey Whelton we win easily quite honestly but Randy and Wolf played their hearts out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Basically the same Duke team lost to Kentucky for the national title a year later. After two more seasons K took over as coach.

One of the great fallacies in sports is that Duke was nothing before K got there.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ider-1976-duke-uconn-game-20141217-story.html

I am not sure if this article was posted but it's another of great memories. I was at the Garden for this one and to beat Gminski and Duke then wasn't quite as big as the games now, but it was as big of a game as they would play in those days for sure. They had Duke on the ropes and with a 35 second clock potentially come out with a W but Foster bored the crowd with his stall tactics. I as a 16 year old and was yelling at the Duke coach from about 3 miles away in the 2nd deck LOL....fun game to go see with my dad, uncles and brother. If we had Joey Whelton we win easily quite honestly but Randy and Wolf played their hearts out.
I saw all the home games that year as a 13 year old...very good memories.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I am not sure if this article was posted but it's another of great memories. I was at the Garden for this one and to beat Gminski and Duke then wasn't quite as big as the games now, but it was as big of a game as they would play in those days for sure. They had Duke on the ropes and with a 35 second clock potentially come out with a W but Foster bored the crowd with his stall tactics. I as a 16 year old and was yelling at the Duke coach from about 3 miles away in the 2nd deck LOL....fun game to go see with my dad, uncles and brother. If we had Joey Whelton we win easily quite honestly but Randy and Wolf played their hearts out.

My sophomore year.

IMO, the big difference between the two teams then and now is that Gminski would've stayed home and starred in Connecticut. It was painful listening to kids who went to HS with Mike rooting for Duke because of him.

Reaction Score
76 Yankee Conf version of sledteam was a typical popgun with few weapons

todays ky game showcased the twin killerclowns from deep space going three for sixteen from field wit seven appleturnovers; at least they eats well at that super on campus dork, i mean dorm for jocks wit twentyfourseven chef service; i park my keester their for semester or two no problemo

lewis shot eight of thirtythree from field at gard slot; veri sam the union card carrier charismatical and to think they did in une jour what it takes the latter guy to do all seezon to date

Reaction Score
76 Yankee Conf version of sledteam was a typical popgun with few weapons

todays ky game showcased the twin killerclowns from deep space going three for sixteen from field wit seven appleturnovers; at least they eats well at that super on campus dork, i mean dorm for jocks wit twentyfourseven chef service; i park my keester their for semester or two no problemo

lewis shot eight of thirtythree from field at gard slot; veri sam the union card carrier charismatical and to think they did in une jour what it takes the latter guy to do all seezon to date

Few weapons? We would love to have Whelton, Abro and Tony on this team I promise!

Reaction Score
let us not forget that the above big trois drei choked it off on big stage as old poppopgun rayraa & saved big efficient production for the blackbears, terriers and catamounts of dee globe

yo study of amoeba being sixnine on day of ecstasy is now biblical but yo bonee buds bonanza likes to thinks dudette be sevenfooter;datbigjoke as only yo &eye knowz apparently just like bonee buds tooo lazy to hit shift keee to communicate UCONN in proper tense, as WashPost tooo nonmaleable and insist it U-Conn. always and unequivocally wit dee period after the n as in (the stutent atleeetes from U-Conn. won another worldtitle again again again again and NIT twoos and infinite big conf titles but ares hoyas be superior than U-Conn. because day one won world title & beez very good samaritanhumanitarian and pass ballz direct mail order to nort carolina to give them extra free worldglobeuniverseplanet title for kiks as long as tarhehe ale pass bucket to fill wit ducketts for montseignor condo in tropics of hamberg}

Reaction Score
for malcon GT as striven to be minimally Kat I

spirit of 76 sleddoggy style 59-dood dook 64 in one extra session

lavigne one for ten from field, twelve bds, eight assists, 45'
joey out hurtski,did not log one minutae
carr: one out of 6 fg
big tone set tone wit nine of 21fg, huit de neuf de striper, huit backbreakerbd-he gooood,why prreecchher man not find clone soon sonna b
did tone have kid and if so he playa in wateringfarry
abro 8-15 in 34min wit 5 bd
wolff two of eight in 44 min
lewis; bet you dont remember this amoeba at 6-11 stringbeenness wit 22min and gooseegg
dookers by k via bill foster compiled mega 14-13 record in 76-77campaign, was gaminskee froshy shot seven eleven wit 12 bds and six/seven from line for vingt markers and his bud dud spanarkel hit for 20 wit eight of dix from line
dookers hit 22 of 32 from line while heroes only 13 of 18 (ref scwood sledteam then too vs demons)
attendance at Garden that pm only whopping 3348, guess ben garden needed for real garden parti but he not born yet
dogs wit 51 bds to demon 39bds

conclusion:dis version yanker conf dogs typical bunch of pop popguns

lets turn bible to meadowlands circa 1990
smitty 4 for 16, kiss of death choke job
scotty six of ten in just 22minutae; did coach sleep at switch or did baseballer hurt ballz bench
dove five of ten in 44'
gwynn six of 15 in 28min
torraino 4-5 in 21min
rodney no respect in post nil in 24min (why da hey did he play with big knee brace when murrywilliams log on 1 min and murry playa0
tate 4-8 in 27min wit slippy congame handies
depreechermandepreest ss11min wit non productivitay
dyrulik in five min 4markers on 2of2 (heshouldplaymorethanrod
dook hit 25-32 from line,by contrast sleddog only 11 of 12; guess what, scwooooood again by zebra

well theres 2 games where now dogs should be 6-4 vs dook vs 4-6 and maybe an additional world title of 90

dook game other day wit similar free toss discrepancy so i sez good geyez 7-3 vs puke wit 5 world titles and undisputed heavy wait chapion of dee world

dogs out bded duke 45-36 in 90, out bded them in 76 51-39

Reaction Score
I really have no idea or do I care to even think of what you are writing......yankee conference blah blah blah........

Whelton was hurt, get the facts.

Hanson could play NOW, great scorer and Abro pre-knee injury could have played any time. High flyer, long could shoot and rebound.

Done.......

Reaction Score
I really have no idea or do I care to even think of what you are writing.yankee conference blah blah blah...

Whelton was hurt, get the facts.

Hanson could play NOW, great scorer and Abro pre-knee injury could have played any time. High flyer, long could shoot and rebound.

Done..
Loved Tony Hanson. Good outside shooter and tough enough to get to the rim. A couple of inches taller and he would have had an NBA career. All three of those guys would play on this team and Hanson and Abro would definitely start.

Reaction Score
The 1976 back court of Weston and Welton was one of the best back courts in UConn history. Undersized, as neither was over 6-0, they led the team to the Sweet 16.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We were relatively nothing before Calhoun. A good regional program to a great national program.

I was at UCONN in 1976. Loved those guys. But I don't know if their talent translates to the Modern Huskies. My guess would be Hanson could make it anywhere in college.. We could use Whelton this year, But I think by next year he would be at the end of the bench. Is Abro quick enough to play at this level?
I think the speed of the game changed as we moved up. Players are stronger, faster, taller.
One of my favorite women Huskies is Jen Rizzotti. Loved her fight and toughness. But I'm not sure she would start on today's team.
No disrespect to any of them. They are among my favorites. But this is a very different basketball world than the one we were in.

Reaction Score
it gonna be funnee when owls perch screetch on sled & series of rreell teams suit up as opponents

dogs look comical

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Another great sports fallacy is that we were nothing before Calhoun!!!!:)
But the reality (despite what nearly everyone who was a fan before the Big East wants to believe) is that we really weren't all that much.

If we were to look at what we did in 1960's & 1970's, movie it forward three decades and have any school replicate what we did (lose in the first round in the NCAA tournament in 1960, 1963, 1965, 1967; lose first game, albeit second round in 1979, one sweet sixteen - 1976 & one elite eight - 1964) and then spend the first few years of this decade matching what we did from 1980-1984 would any of us agree if a fan of that school claimed they were something?

Reaction Score
We were relatively nothing before Calhoun. A good regional program to a great national program.

I was at UCONN in 1976. Loved those guys. But I don't know if their talent translates to the Modern Huskies. My guess would be Hanson could make it anywhere in college.. We could use Whelton this year, But I think by next year he would be at the end of the bench. Is Abro quick enough to play at this level?
I think the speed of the game changed as we moved up. Players are stronger, faster, taller.
One of my favorite women Huskies is Jen Rizzotti. Loved her fight and toughness. But I'm not sure she would start on today's team.
No disrespect to any of them. They are among my favorites. But this is a very different basketball world than the one we were in.

Since Abro actually played in the NBA I would say yes.

Reaction Score
But the reality (despite what nearly everyone who was a fan before the Big East wants to believe) is that we really weren't all that much.

If we were to look at what we did in 1960's & 1970's, movie it forward three decades and have any school replicate what we did (lose in the first round in the NCAA tournament in 1960, 1963, 1965, 1967; lose first game, albeit second round in 1979, one sweet sixteen - 1976 & one elite eight - 1964) and then spend the first few years of this decade matching what we did from 1980-1984 would any of us agree if a fan of that school claimed they were something?

NCAA appearances are actually something. Especially since it was something like 28-32 teams only in those days.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
NCAA appearances are actually something. Especially since it was something like 28-32 teams only in those days.
True but then it makes getting to the final 16 (which only required one win when we got there) and the elite eight (which required to wins) once each over two full decades even less impressive.

Reaction Score
True but then it makes getting to the final 16 (which only required one win when we got there) and the elite eight (which required to wins) once each over two full decades even less impressive.

Less teams in the tournament made for almost all quality teams from the get go. No less impressive to get to either one. You are just skipping a round with a lesser opponent.

Reaction Score
Another great sports fallacy is that we were nothing before Calhoun!!!!:)

Calhoun took the program to another level.

Dee Rowe was a competent coach as the Huskies were a strong regional program that had some nice players as noted.

Dom Perno, not so much. JC inherited a mess and turned the program into a national powerhouse.

Reaction Score
We were a strong enough regional program to be invited to the Big East. And if that didn't happen, there would not have been a JC in our future and you know the rest.

As bad a coach as Perno was, he put together what is still one of the highest rated recruiting classes ever at our school, and that played a huge part in that invite. He was able to do that because of the success of those mid/ late 70's teams. For the first time, CT. High school All-Americans stayed and played for us. Yes, he didn't know how to coach them, but we were in where we needed to be to become a national program.

Reaction Score

Jen would start on today's team - not like any of them are real fast and speed has little to do with the women game, smarts wins games!

As far as Abro no brainer. 6'7 is and long, could shoot it from 3, jump out of the gym and had good quickness, score on the interior too. No doubt he'd play today and start on this team.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
We were a strong enough regional program to be invited to the Big East. And if that didn't happen, there would not have been a JC in our future and you know the rest.

As bad a coach as Perno was, he put together what is still one of the highest rated recruiting classes ever at our school, and that played a huge part in that invite. He was able to do that because of the success of those mid/ late 70's teams. For the first time, CT. High school All-Americans stayed and played for us. Yes, he didn't know how to coach them, but we were in where we needed to be to become a national program.
The reality was that all we really needed to do to qualify was finish above UMass & URI. We were never a threat to make a long run and when we did win a game (1976) or two (1964) it was celebrated as if it were a final four appearance.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Since Abro actually played in the NBA I would say yes.

Don't think he did. He was the 95th pick in the draft. Got a contract but went to play in Europe by what I can see. Basketball has changed for big men in the last 35 years. They don't pick 95 players and they expect a lot more ball handling/ shooting range from forward
Again, no disrespect meant to Abro. He was great for UCONN in the Yankee Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom