? About New Players Arrival B4 High School Graduation | The Boneyard

? About New Players Arrival B4 High School Graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When did the practice begin where new players arrive on campus not just before their hs graduation ceremony, but even before their hs classmates have finished classes? Interesting point of emphasis, isn't it?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Football players...sometimes....actually enter college for the second semester during their senior year of high school. At least I think they do. They take college courses and engage in spring practice while their former classmates are finishing their senior year in high school.

Has there been a sighting of Morgan or Moriah on campus yet? Breanna arriving next week?

HGN

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the practice..........Technically , the kids have mostly finished with all their high school classwork and graduation requirements ; thus, nothing is preventing them from enrolling in college.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Exactly. A lot of times seniors will finish a week or two ahead of the younger classes anyway, more if they place out of exams, etc. And graduation might not be until two weeks later. Valuable summer training time being missed! :)

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the practice..........Technically , the kids have mostly finished with all their high school classwork and graduation requirements ; thus, nothing is preventing them from enrolling in college.

Except they haven't, in many cases. . . School doesn't end until-- school ends. A kid can't assume that, if there will be no more "work," that school is done.

As a high school teacher of mostly seniors, I can tell you how frustrating it can be when kids (and colleges) act as if seniors are already done. Not to belabor the point, but it's done when I say it's done (which is the last day of school).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Except they haven't, in many cases. . . School doesn't end until-- school ends. A kid can't assume that, if there will be no more "work," that school is done.

As a high school teacher of mostly seniors, I can tell you how frustrating it can be when kids (and colleges) act as if seniors are already done. Not to belabor the point, but it's done when I say it's done (which is the last day of school).
After finals, my kids spend an extraordinary amount of time in school watching movies, attending picnics (or going to Lake Compounce) or having year end parties. Having worked in a school, I know the kids have to be in school X number of days (185?) and the days all count whether they're taking tests or watching movies. Wallingford tacked on an extra 5 days because the teacher's union wanted it in order to hasten its members' tenure. Not sure why students need to melt in the late-June temperatures so that teachers get their seniority faster but, anyway, if Breanna, Morgan and Moriah want to skip those days in order to jump start their college summer school classes, I take no issue with it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not for a lot of schools. The seniors are done before school gets out. My stepson has graduation this weekend. School for Jr and below doesn't end until June 22nd (or 29th depending on how many snow days they used....I know they used some in Oct/Nov with that storm.

Well that was weird, never seen it post like that before?????

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After finals, my kids spend an extraordinary amount of time in school watching movies, attending picnics (or going to Lake Compounce) or having year end parties.
Well that was weird, never seen it post like that before?????

Cut and paste will do it....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Our kids got out of school on May 31st. Other states have kids out of school even earlier and start school the beginning of August.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
School calendars have changed a lot over the past 30 years or so. Generally, the academic year begins and ends earlier than previously in many places. Plus, some parts of the country have year-round classes with about 4 breaks of 3-4 weeks each, but no summer vacation per se. [Changes like this wreak havoc when trying to seasonally adjust economic and other data.:(]

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As a former member of the Board of Education, I can attest to the perils of developing the official school calendar.

Start with the recognition that schools must be in session xxx days and a consensus that Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Christmas and New Year's Day are not to be messed with. Presidents Day is easy and so is MLK Day. As a practical matter, no use scheduling classes between Christmas and New Year's or the day after Thanksgiving. Then it gets tricky.

In a sort of an "equal time [off]" gesture, Yom Kippur is usually a holiday for everybody. But what about Good Friday and Rosh Hoshanah? Veterans Day? Here in Norwalk we had our first school day on Veterans Day ever; before it happened, many vets were opposed, but the stirring programs presented in the schools (vets participating) made it the best imaginable observance of this holiday.

And very often there are situations where teachers teach in one town during, say, spring break while their own children are not answering bells or roll calls.

Then there are snow days and teacher development days. AAAARRGH!!!

I only recite this as a means of encouraging parents to cut their local BoE members a little slack.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Not sure why students need to melt in the late-June temperatures so that teachers get their seniority faster but, anyway, if Breanna, Morgan and Moriah want to skip those days in order to jump start their college summer school classes, I take no issue with it.

As I recall, Moriah Jefferson was home schooled and thus this issue wouldn't apply to her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cut and paste will do it....
didnt cut and paste. Did delete some of the quote and had to put quote] back in. Must have messed that up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Exactly. A lot of times seniors will finish a week or two ahead of the younger classes anyway, more if they place out of exams, etc. And graduation might not be until two weeks later. Valuable summer training time being missed! :)

The impression I get - I know MJ was home-schooled - is that the other kids were coming to UConn before their hs classes were done. My question has nothing to do with whether or not the kids are okay academically, more with point of emphasis. Not sure if your smiley was meant to poke fun at the idea of needing the practice time or supporting the need for practice time. But it seems to elevate the sport above the academics. One way or the other, I'm not losing sleep over it, just wondered when this sort of arrangement began. It was not always this way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I recall, Moriah Jefferson was home schooled and thus this issue wouldn't apply to her.
If one is homeschooled, can she be out sick? I guess the 100% attendance record may be cheapened a bit. :)

Reaction Score
athletes do this all the time.. especially football players.. in NY public schools end in late june but if you don't have regents ( ny state exam) in june (they are offered 3x a year (Jan., June and Aug.)) you won't have to be in school for like two weeks until graduation .. if her high school and her parents didn't have a problem with her going to college before her graduation, then whats the problem ?

Reaction Score
Morgan tucks graduation the 3rd of june
The impression I get - I know MJ was home-schooled - is that the other kids were coming to UConn before their hs classes were done. My question has nothing to do with whether or not the kids are okay academically, more with point of emphasis. Not sure if your smiley was meant to poke fun at the idea of needing the practice time or supporting the need for practice time. But it seems to elevate the sport above the academics. One way or the other, I'm not losing sleep over it, just wondered when this sort of arrangement began. It was not always this way.

Reaction Score
When I was in high school in Nebraska, we never went to school past the end of May. I could easily have started a college summer session on June 4th. But then again, we started the school year in mid-August and didn't have the two winter breaks that CT schools, just one. When my kids started school here in CT, it was a shock that it was almost Labor Day, and some years after Labor Day when they started, and that they were still going to school late into June.

Schools in other parts of the country have very different school calendars. As MarieM noted, if Morgan graduated on 6/3, then there was no interference with finishing high school.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I was in high school in Nebraska, we never went to school past the end of May. I could easily have started a college summer session on June 4th. But then again, we started the school year in mid-August and didn't have the two winter breaks that CT schools, just one. When my kids started school here in CT, it was a shock that it was almost Labor Day, and some years after Labor Day when they started, and that they were still going to school late into June.

Schools in other parts of the country have very different school calendars. As MarieM noted, if Morgan graduated on 6/3, then there was no interference with finishing high school.
I grew up in Milford (go figure!). I was in school until about June 20 or so every year. We started the Wednesday after Labor Day and had a week break in mid February and mid April.

Three of the four colleges I attended full time, including UConn, started the fall semesters in September and had finals in January. Only Penn of my schools had finals before Christmas.

A friend of mine believes that colleges moved up their academic years to give their students an advantage by getting into the labor market early, whether for summer jobs or post-grad careers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn WCBB has ever had a recruit cutting HS classes to show up on campus and it is not happening this year. The only one whose school is actually still in session is BS and she isn't here yet. But she has been missing a fair amount of school with various USA commitments - there was a reference to her working with her teachers to deal with the missed time. Of course for her this is old hat as she has been dealing with USA conflicts for three years now.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Football players...sometimes....actually enter college for the second semester during their senior year of high school. At least I think they do. They take college courses and engage in spring practice while their former classmates are finishing their senior year in high school.

Has there been a sighting of Morgan or Moriah on campus yet? Breanna arriving next week?
Indeed, football players often do skip their final semester of high school to participate in spring drills and take college classes...but they have worked with their high schools to graduate early. Also allows them to get another semester of college on someone else's dime under their belts.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As someone who has lived all over the country, I can tell you it's wildly variable as to when the school year begins and ends. The northeast tends to end later and begin later. Georgia was the earliest I've seen on both ends.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't think it's really elevating the sport over academics. The last few weeks of one's senior year of high school tend to be pretty devoid academically. Breanna has worked hard to make sure she gets her schoolwork from high school done while she's on her Team USA jaunts. And really, this isn't just athletics; these girls have a unique opportunity, one that's tied to getting a college degree (and UConn players always do), and one that has professional implications (professional playing career, broadcasting, coaching). Finally, it's a source of great pride in these communities that one of their own is going to a premier program, and the school doesn't want to stand in the way of the demands of the program.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As someone who has lived all over the country, I can tell you it's wildly variable as to when the school year begins and ends. The northeast tends to end later and begin later. Georgia was the earliest I've seen on both ends.
The schools need to provide employees for Six Flags.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Morgan is on campus - there is a thread with her UConn ID in hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom