About lowering the rims…[merged thread] | The Boneyard

About lowering the rims…[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to agree with Kate on this one. There is an outdoor park near my house that for some reason has two 9ft rims which I have learned to avoid. A few times when I was waiting for the next game I would occasionally wonder over to make sure my jumper was on point. Even after a few shot my Jumper was never the same. So Kate is right No one is going to lower the thousands of rims around the world just so "girls" could play and the investment of 10 of thousands of hours that it takes for professional and college shooters to hone their craft would be lost and have to be reinvested.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Heck, if we are going to bring them down, bring 'em down to 8 feet so 60 years old can dunk, too. Maybe 6 foot for 80 year olds. I used to have a vicious drop step and power dunk I used on the 8 foot elementary school playgrounds on Sunday afternoons. Let's all get in on it.

Reaction Score
Geno suggests lowering the rims. Hard to argue with the greatest college basketball coach of all time.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Count Kate Fagan among those who are opposed to the idea. Reasonable minds can differ, but I think she makes some good points.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/voices/article/15090920/fagan-why-lower-rims-women-basketball-flawed
LEAVE THE GAME ALONE! There are always people, in every sport, who want to make changes. Usually, it is for one of 2 reasons:
1. They want to make a name for themselves.
2. They want to show they are earning their salaries with "constructive" ideas.
---Hey! I just thought of one: any player over 6 feet tall only gets 1 point for a basket scored in the lane.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno suggests lowering the rims. Hard to argue with the greatest college basketball coach of all time.
Not really! I'm pretty sure John Wooden was not an advocate of lowering the rim. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Phoenix star guard Diana Taurasi didn't mince words when asked her opinion on lowering the rims. The Olympic gold medalist, currently playing in Russia, said the following: "Might as well put us in skirts and back in the kitchen."

God, I love Di.

To me the argument to lower the rims is a de facto concession that woman can't play the game. It is a bad idea.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Heck, if we are going to bring them down, bring 'em down to 8 feet so 60 years old can dunk, too. Maybe 6 foot for 80 year olds. I used to have a vicious drop step and power dunk I used on the 8 foot elementary school playgrounds on Sunday afternoons. Let's all get in on it.
Bring-it-gif.gif

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn't make this clear in the original post, but I don't think the rims should be lowered either. When I said that reasonable minds could differ, I mostly had Geno in mind because his points of view regarding the game clearly deserve tremendous respect, but on this issue I think Fagan is right and I agree with the reasons she lays out.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Well, turns out somebody asked Geno about the rims during today's Final Four conference call. His response (the first part of which is classic Geno):

"Well, you know Elena is going to agree with anything I say. She's trying to make the Olympic team for the first time. Diana, she don't care. She knows she's probably on the team.

"You know, when I made that comment, it was in reference to why are we leaving anything off the table when it comes to changing the rules that might make the game better? Why should anything be left off the table? And there are some coaches out there, if you talk to them, that they will be in favor of that. Is it realistic? Probably not. Is it ever going to happen? Probably not. But if somebody told you, did you know the women play with a lower net in volleyball, you'd go, no, I don't know that. Of course you don't know that because it doesn't matter, does it?

"Is it realistic? Probably not. It would be too much of a change probably. But because we started that discussion, there's been a lot of rule changes, and there's going to be more to come, that have made the game better and will continue to make the game even better."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-auriemma-transcript-0331-20160330-story.html

Reaction Score
You would have to package up and archive the record books and start new ones. Who needs it?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Smart woman. I love the following quote. As DT points out, the best girls grow up playing against the boys and that is how they get better, not playing against other girls that they can dominate.

"The worst thing for the growth of women’s basketball would be creating an additional logistical hurdle between boys and girls, one that forces young girls to take their ball and go find a different, lower hoop."

But here is my favorite quote. DT does not hold back with her opinion. Gotta love her!

“Might as well put us in skirts and back in the kitchen.”

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Phoenix star guard Diana Taurasi didn't mince words when asked her opinion on lowering the rims. The Olympic gold medalist, currently playing in Russia, said the following: "Might as well put us in skirts and back in the kitchen."

God, I love Di.

To me the argument to lower the rims is a de facto concession that woman can't play the game. It is a bad idea.

And don't let 2-3 players advance beyond center court. I flat out love DT!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Smart woman. I love the following quote. As DT points out, the best girls grow up playing against the boys and that is how they get better, not playing against other girls that they can dominate.

"The worst thing for the growth of women’s basketball would be creating an additional logistical hurdle between boys and girls, one that forces young girls to take their ball and go find a different, lower hoop."

But here is my favorite quote. DT does not hold back with her opinion. Gotta love her!

“Might as well put us in skirts and back in the kitchen.”

It would be more likely that DT would put a skirt on Geno a and send him to the kitchen.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, turns out somebody asked Geno about the rims during today's Final Four conference call. His response (the first part of which is classic Geno):

"Well, you know Elena is going to agree with anything I say. She's trying to make the Olympic team for the first time. Diana, she don't care. She knows she's probably on the team.

He's not wrong.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the men have outgrown the 10 ft rim height, that was designed to create a soft shot game. I know passing came later in the games history, but that is where the beauty of classic basketball lies for me. So I suggest that since we have lengthened every golf course in the world to accommodate the players and equipment improvements, let's raise the rims 8 inches to improve basketball.

While we're at it lets get rid of the designated hitter rule too dammit!

Reaction Score
Not really! I'm pretty sure John Wooden was not an advocate of lowering the rim. :cool:
By the time Geno is through, I don't think there should be any debate that he's the best ever. Pick your metric: titles, winning percentage, whatever. Geno is about to be in a class by himself.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members