AAU President Speaks RE: Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAU President Speaks RE: Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... but doesn't anymore. I think that's the point.

Reaction Score
For the last 18-19 years or so, that is. Not until Jennifer Rizzotti's crossover dribble did the General Assembly give a rat's DeFilippo about us. That's why our campus looked like it belonged in Pyongyang for decades.

UConn 2000 was passed by the state legislature in 1995, but it was the culmination of several years of work. It's been almost 20 years, with another 11 years of funding coming.

Reaction Score
UConn 2000 was passed by the state legislature in 1995, but it was the culmination of several years of work. It's been almost 20 years, with another 11 years of funding coming.

Right, there was talk of exploding the "Technology Quadrangle" and greatly expanding the campus north of the Student Union for about $200 million well into the 1980s, but that (and many other growth plans since most G.I. Bill students filtered their way through after the Vietnam War) got nowhere until the women went undefeated and won their first title in 1995.

Not coincidentally, 21st Century UConn -- a literal doubling of UConn 2000 -- was passed in 2002, when the women went undefeated again and won another national title.

Reaction Score
State politics are funny. I still remember ‘old’ South being knocked down around 1994 and it was left as a pile of bricks for over a year through the beginning of the 1995/6 academic year. Then, it was announced that President Clinton (whose brilliant idea was it to let him near several thousand college girls?), Nelson Mandela, etc. would attend the dedication of the Dodd Center in October of 1995. The brick piles were gone in 2 weeks, max.

Shortly after, I fondly remember playing the game of ‘Top 10 places to send Secret Service agents too’ during the week leading-up to Clinton’s visit. Right before the weekend, the Marines started to use the baseball field to land Blackhawks on and I ran into a Secret Service sniper in the elevator going to the top of Hilltop. After that, I decided to spend the weekend getting drunk with friends in Ithaca.

Reaction Score
I'm grasping at straws here but from what I can find online the AAU only votes on new members at their annual meetings. Last year they voted in BU and it became official on 11/5/12. This means their annual meeting was most likely the last week of October or 1st week of November. I haven't seen anything on when their meeting is this year but I would imagine it would be around the same time. I'm not expecting Uconn to be invited this year but I just wanted to throw this out there....

Reaction Score
I'm grasping at straws here but from what I can find online the AAU only votes on new members at their annual meetings. Last year they voted in BU and it became official on 11/5/12. This means their annual meeting was most likely the last week of October or 1st week of November. I haven't seen anything on when their meeting is this year but I would imagine it would be around the same time. I'm not expecting Uconn to be invited this year but I just wanted to throw this out there....

Given the sequester and the shutdown, it would be an absolute shock if anyone else were invited into the AAU in the next several years. These schools have to figure out what is going on among themselves. Research budgets have dropped drastically. They can't cull anyone anymore because things have been shaken up so badly. The AAU right now is confused--and that's putting it mildly. There is also new leadership. The B1G has relinquished control of the two most powerful committees.

Reaction Score
I met a guy about a month ago at a wedding who said he worked for a lobby firm in Washington that did a lot of work for healthcare companies. We struck up a conversation & I said that I hoped UCONN could become a member of the AAU to share in some of the research $$ available to universities (no, I didn't say because we want to get into the B1G).

He very quickly replied that he didn't think the AAU would be adding any schools & said that he thought they may actually contract by a few due to the drop in research $$. He said while a decent amount of research $$ come from the private sector, the lion's share comes from the govt and with the mess we have in Washington this amount will continue to shrink over time

Reaction Score
I met a guy about a month ago at a wedding who said he worked for a lobby firm in Washington that did a lot of work for healthcare companies. We struck up a conversation & I said that I hoped UCONN could become a member of the AAU to share in some of the research available to universities (no, I didn't say because we want to get into the B1G).

He very quickly replied that he didn't think the AAU would be adding any schools & said that he thought they may actually contract by a few due to the drop in research . He said while a decent amount of research come from the private sector, the lion's share comes from the govt and with the mess we have in Washington this amount will continue to shrink over time

Of course, I saw an internal memo from the AAU that said no additions, only schools to be given the heave-ho. Everyone in the bottom 10 was worried. Nebraska and Syracuse exited. And a year later, while research dollars were down, Boston U. was added. My alma mater. That was a surprise.

The AAU may add a school simply to show what needs to be done.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can tell you now, UConn is making major strides in research areas that are receiving a lot of attention not just nationally, but internationally. Having a strong presence in animal research is paying huge dividends, particularly in pathogen research.

If nothing else, we can be proud at least for the huge strides we've made academically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom