AAU Coach Runs Down Molly Bent! | The Boneyard

AAU Coach Runs Down Molly Bent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Trully the nadir of his career. I understand it was a Corvair so she was not seriously injured. The Corvair, however, will be in the shop for weeks!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
From the article Sluconn just posted in one of Molly's threads:

"She's not a superstar, but if you need 20 points, she'll get them for you."

Gosh, that AAU crowd is tough!

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...n-insider-molly-bent-0612-20150611-story.html
\
I didn't think the AAU comment "tough". More factual than anything. She's compared to Kelly who isn't a superstar. Bent can shoot well--Kelly took nearly 3 plus year to shoot the 3 well. Kelly is now and then tough, high BB IQ, great team player, good teammate but not a super star. If you read thru the words you can see why Geno wants Bent!! I can remember only one game where Kelly got 20 or near 20 points--next game Geno had some comment about giving Kelly too much praise.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Trully the nadir of his career. I understand it was a Corvair so she was not seriously injured. The Corvair, however, will be in the shop for weeks!
Sounds like it was more than just a bent fender.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's a Courant Insider story which requires registering to read, and I am not doing that. What's the gist of the article?
the nerve of the Courant...

BTW did you try that Google trick the other poster mentioned recently?

Reaction Score
Is it true Syracuse scheduled to play 3 games in Eastern Europe but rejected playing Number 1 and national champ Uconn which features syracuse Native and player of the year Stewart? ACC conspiracy?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's a Courant Insider story which requires registering to read, and I am not doing that. What's the gist of the article?

Another board member told us how to defeat this a while back. Search the net with article title key words. You'll find the article. Click on it and it should come up without the identifier/sign in overscreen BS. That is what I posted in the OP opener and it did not work for you? The 'gist'f the article is this young lady has her head on straight, she'll never forget her sneakers and she's a baller!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
\
I didn't think the AAU comment "tough". More factual than anything. She's compared to Kelly who isn't a superstar. Bent can shoot well--Kelly took nearly 3 plus year to shoot the 3 well. Kelly is now and then tough, high BB IQ, great team player, good teammate but not a super star. If you read thru the words you can see why Geno wants Bent!! I can remember only one game where Kelly got 20 or near 20 points--next game Geno had some comment about giving Kelly too much praise.

I was being facetious! I'll take a 20 point average and call that kid Supa Stah!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a great article by John A. Thanks guys for the suggestion to search via the title of the article. Manny things stood out about the quality of the kid as a person, and her rapid improvement once she stopped playing soccer and focusing on hoops - I think comparisons to Kelly Faris seem fair. I know Kelly was a consensus top 15 player and I'm not saying Molly is that good, but it seems she has a lot of upside and UCONN was able to nab her before her stock skyrocketed.

One other thing that stood out to me is the impact Stewie had on her:

"Breanna [Stewart] was even better [a player] in person than she is on TV," Bent said. "The things she can do are incredible. And she was so nice to me, even though she is the best player in the country. She didn't big-time this little recruit. She was so nice, took a lot of time to speak with my parents. I have nothing but good things to say about her."

It goes back to the comments that UCONN recruits players who are great people first, and hopefully they are also gifted hoops players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What a great article by John A. Thanks guys for the suggestion to search via the title of the article. Manny things stood out about the quality of the kid as a person, and her rapid improvement once she stopped playing soccer and focusing on hoops - I think comparisons to Kelly Faris seem fair. I know Kelly was a consensus top 15 player and I'm not saying Molly is that good, but it seems she has a lot of upside and UCONN was able to nab her before her stock skyrocketed.

One other thing that stood out to me is the impact Stewie had on her:

"Breanna [Stewart] was even better [a player] in person than she is on TV," Bent said. "The things she can do are incredible. And she was so nice to me, even though she is the best player in the country. She didn't big-time this little recruit. She was so nice, took a lot of time to speak with my parents. I have nothing but good things to say about her."

It goes back to the comments that UCONN recruits players who are great people first, and hopefully they are also gifted hoops players.

Yes,a chunky, excellent read. So when you said "give me the gist" I'm thinking mon dieu! While I've never been an adrenaline junkie, I'm going out on a limb, far out, and saying she sounds like she can have a career at UConn that will surpass Kelly's.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sounds like it was more than just a bent fender.

Unlike the VW bug, the only thing in front of you in the Corvair was the gas tank! :rolleyes: Many a time my bride to be scared me to death in that thing. I've driven go carts that were designed more sensibly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes,a chunky, excellent read. So when you said "give me the gist" I'm thinking mon dieu! While I've never been an adrenaline junkie, I'm going out on a limb, far out, and saying she sounds like she can have a career at UConn that will surpass Kelly's.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but Kelly was a legit top 10-15 player coming out of HS and was at least a 3 year starter I think at UCONN. No offense meant to Ms. Bent, but she has Dangerfield in her class and Nurse 2 years ahead of her. I don't see her starting as long as Nurse is here. It depends who we recruit in 2017 and 2018 but I think it's a pretty tall order to think that she (or Irwin) will ever be starters.

Not saying they can't, but I think that particular "goal" is a tall order for Molly (or Kyla). Now, if Molly continues to improve in leaps and bounds, I think it's possible she could have a career like Battle - never started but was 1st off the bench her last 2 years and actually good enough to play in the WNBA for a while. To me that seems her upside, but she's just a youngster and who knows how good she really can be.

If she ends up impacting like Kelly, she will be the favorite of many and certainly exceed even the most humble expectations people may have had for her...

Reaction Score

I would be extremely happy if her career was as good as Kelly's! Molly will practice very hard and never take a play off. I just love this type of player.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but Kelly was a legit top 10-15 player coming out of HS and was at least a 3 year starter I think at UCONN. No offense meant to Ms. Bent, but she has Dangerfield in her class and Nurse 2 years ahead of her. I don't see her starting as long as Nurse is here. It depends who we recruit in 2017 and 2018 but I think it's a pretty tall order to think that she (or Irwin) will ever be starters.

Not saying they can't, but I think that particular "goal" is a tall order for Molly (or Kyla). Now, if Molly continues to improve in leaps and bounds, I think it's possible she could have a career like Battle - never started but was 1st off the bench her last 2 years and actually good enough to play in the WNBA for a while. To me that seems her upside, but she's just a youngster and who knows how good she really can be.

If she ends up impacting like Kelly, she will be the favorite of many and certainly exceed even the most humble expectations people may have had for her...
The fast track recruiting of Molly, by golly, suggests that Geno and staff see a pretty high upside potential in this kid. But if she comes close to Kelly, she will be a blessing to UConn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I am hoping she will not "hide her light under a basket" like Kelly did with her offense. I also think you don't have to be a starter to have a great career and become a legend at UC as you suggest. Right now, all things are possible and I prefer the cock eyed optimist side of things for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom