AAC Rankings 2014-2105 | The Boneyard

AAC Rankings 2014-2105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just for fun on a slow day...what are everyone's thoughts on the teams in the AAC this year? Unlike last year where the league was top heavy with UConn, Ville, Memphis, Cincy and SMU, I see this year having more balance. Here is how I would predict the league before the season:

Tier 1: The c0-favorites

UConn
SMU

I think these teams are the clear cut co-favorites to win the league. SMU losing Mudiay hurts them, but they return almost from last year, and some of their younger players will be more seasoned. Larry Brown is obviously a great coach. I think UConn and SMU will battle it out for the league title.

Tier 2: NCAA/Bubble Teams

Memphis
Cincinnati
Tulsa
Temple

These teams will decide how good this league is perceived. Memphis loses those 4 senior guards, but returns an impressive front court, and has some interesting pieces they added in the offseason. As always team chemistry may be an issue, and their coach has a reputation for not being able to beat teams better than him. Cincinnati loses A LOT, but their style will keep them in enough games that I can see them as a tournament team. Tulsa is interesting. New coach, new league, but they return most of their team from last year that played so well down the stretch and won the C-USA tournament. I could see them sneaking up on some people. And finally, Temple. I know a lot of people are down on them, and they did lose Lee. But they lost a LOT of close games last year, they have more depth this year with all of their transfers, and I just think Dunphy is too good a coach to have another year like last year. They may not be a tournament team, but I think they could be right on the bubble, just like Tulsa.

Tier 3: NIT

Houston

Say what you want about Sampson. Shaddy guy, but a good coach. Losing Thomas and House hurts them big time for this year, but they still have some talent, and Sampson will slowly build this program back up to respectability. But I think they will struggle this year.

Tier 4: The Basement

UCF
USF
East Carolina
Tulane

New league for East Carolina and Tulane. USF has a new coach but a real lack of talent right now. UCF has been patient with their coach, but how much longer will they wait for some results? These teams will struggle to beat anyone besides each other in this league.

So my pre-season rankings would be as follows:

1. UConn (co-favorites)
1. SMU (co-favorites)
3. Memphis
4. Cincinnati
5. Tulsa
6. Temple
7. Houston
8. USF
9. UCF
10. East Carolina
11. Tulane

This could be a 3-4 bid league next year if the Tier 2 teams struggle. They will need to win some games against OOC competition. Memphis and Cincy have decent schedules, as does Temple. Tulsa is the real wild card here. Thoughts?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Houston will be good this year I think. Like a 2013/2014 SMU-type performance.

Reaction Score
If McBride can get into any kind of shape UCF may be a bit of a surprise. But as a whole this conference is fugly

Reaction Score
Houston will be good this year I think. Like a 2013/2014 SMU-type performance.

I agree on Houston. They have a shot at 3rd place in the AAC barring injury. Depends on all the transfers including D. Pollard.

Reaction Score
I agree on Houston. They have a shot at 3rd place in the AAC barring injury. Depends on all the transfers including D. Pollard.

Interesting, I had no idea Pollard committed there. He was a big time recruit. Torian Graham was a top 100 kid as well before he ended up playing at Chipola with Sam JR. Rose and Knowles are - Knowles has massive potential.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I had no idea Pollard committed there. He was a big time recruit. Torian Graham was a top 100 kid as well before he ended up playing at Chipola with Sam JR. Rose and Knowles are - Knowles has massive potential.

They are an interesting team. Pollard was close to ESPN Top 25 in the class of 2012. Grant fails miserably at developing players in my opinion. Not sure he will do much with Jimmie Taylor either who is going into his Soph year. He was a top 75 guy.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
UConn - NCAA
SMU - NCAA
Memphis - NCAA
Cincy - NCAA
Tulsa - NIT
Temple - NIT/CBI
Houston
UCF
ECU
USF
Tulane

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is so depressing, I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves.
Not sure I understand the comment. Does UCONN have the ability to get into a new conference this year or next year? If not then we are stuck where we are. Not only should we make the best of it, we should root for our other conference teams, and hope they all surprise and do well.

I get everyone wanting out of the conference ASAP. I don't get bashing it while we are here and literally have zero choice, unless we want to go independent.

Reaction Score
Fix your football and you have your meal ticket back to the Big Boys table. Till then just got to deal. We want into the Big 12 and as long as we keep improving football/basketball wise should put ourselves in good position.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Fix your football and you have your meal ticket back to the Big Boys table. Till then just got to deal. We want into the Big 12 and as long as we keep improving football/basketball wise should put ourselves in good position.

Yep, and the same goes for Memphis...for now, I'm glad UConn and Cincy are stuck with us.

Reaction Score
This is so depressing, I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves.

There have been many years when the ACC only put 4 teams in the tournament. This could be a decent league if Houston and Temple step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom