AAC is bad, but check out this Big East idiocy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC is bad, but check out this Big East idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn's National Rep was built by Jim Calhoun and the Big East Conference. Now are the dog days of the AAC and Kevin Ollie. This is a different animal than the ACC conference the other 3 you mentioned are heading to, so don't expect the same level of respect moving forward by other programs. Your past NCAA Championships don't matter moving forward as these are uncharted waters for all programs in new leagues, and the AAC without Louisville doesn't look overly appealing. I hope for UConn's sake they can manage to help keep the basketball side of that conference alive. Ollie has a big job ahead.

Things ya ain't taking into account.

UConn's exposure hasn't dropped
Ollie looks to be a better recruiter than Calhoun
Calhoun never had the facilities and support that Ollie does

Reaction Score
Your past NCAA Championships don't matter moving forward

michael-jordan-laughing_zps61223343.gif

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This was pretty good, Pitt's not even on the list, but Marquette, Nova, Gtown and St John's are. (Pitt is ranked 58, PC 66).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/50-in-50-series/count/1

BTW, the new Big East has 6 of its 10 teams in the top 50 most successful in last 50 years.
I'm sure using a system where 2.5 elite eight losses is equal to winning a national championship you do have 6 of the top 50. We'd probably see a different result when using a system put together by the non mentally challenged though.

Reaction Score
Things ya ain't taking into account.

UConn's exposure hasn't dropped
Ollie looks to be a better recruiter than Calhoun
Calhoun never had the facilities and support that Ollie does

1). Sure it has. Uconn is in a third rate football league now. I remember when UConn fans used to fill MsG for SJU games. Last 5-10 year's, UConn's representation has been scant in comparison. Representation has been dropping for year's and the exposure is not what the Big East provided.

2) Ollie doesn't look to be a better recruiter than the Hall of famer Calhoun. I don't know how you surmise that after barely one recruiting class under the wing of his mentor.

3). Calhoun had more support because he coached in the best bball league around in his time coaching. Practice facilities don't win games. Jim Calhoun never needed them. It's fool's gold.

Reaction Score
SJU was in a free fall due to injuries and suspension of Harrison. SJU took teams like Marquette and Nova to the end even at the end of the season despite Suspending our best scorer and injuries to our entire backcourt. Sir'Dom was also suspended for the fight in the Notre Dame game. Branch was hobbled by knee injury and Phil Greene had to play with a torn hip labrum, which many didn't realize. Greene is still healing from labrum surgery. The entire backcourt could barely suit up.

This year is a bit different. Everybody returns plus additions of Orlando Sanchez, God's Gift, Rysheed Jordan and Max Hooper. Everybody is healthy now, and from what I've heard Branch has improved leaps and bounds. Sanchez is a starter at PF. This team will be a lot better than last year I think.

Fair points. I may be under rating them. I'd be concerned about banking on a guy who keeps getting suspended, but every player is different. There are some permanent lunkheads, and some Caron Butler types who figure it out and get their head on straight.

Reaction Score
1). Sure it has. Uconn is in a third rate football league now. I remember when UConn fans used to fill MsG for SJU games. Last 5-10 year's, UConn's representation has been scant in comparison. Representation has been dropping for year's and the exposure is not what the Big East provided.

2) Ollie doesn't look to be a better recruiter than the Hall of famer Calhoun. I don't know how you surmise that after barely one recruiting class under the wing of his mentor.

3). Calhoun had more support because he coached in the best bball league around in his time coaching. Practice facilities don't win games. Jim Calhoun never needed them. It's fool's gold.

1. Have you looked at UConn's TV schedule? The exposure has INCREASED from past years. We're on ESPN/CBS/ESPN2 16 times, and then on ESPNU and CBSSN a bunch of other times. UConn used to fill MSG because STJ used to be pretty good and that was a good game.

1a. The football league is not good. That being said, I expect it to be better than the old BE.

2. I really don't think you remember much about Calhoun's recruiting. He got a total of 8 or 9 McD AAs in 25 years. Ollie has two already in DHamilton and Rodney Purvis.

3. Support from the school, and not just practice facilities.

Reaction Score
St. John's got smart and started making it tough for UConn fans to get tickets without buying multiple-game packages. One of the few good things that happened under Jarvis, from an SJU perspective.

Then they got doubly smart by hiring a guy who had a 20-80 record at Queens College, becoming terrible, and making it so nobody wanted to go to the games any more.

Reaction Score
St. John's got smart and started making it tough for UConn fans to get tickets without buying multiple-game packages. One of the few good things that happened under Jarvis, from an SJU perspective.

Then they got doubly smart by hiring a guy who had a 20-80 record at Queens College, becoming terrible, and making it so nobody wanted to go to the games any more.

UConn fans used to come to MSG when we were good or bad. They'd load it up even in Jarvis days. That's not the reason UConn fans stopped showing up.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Let these guys have their circle jerk. Sure, UConn is going to become irrelevant. Sure, the new Big East is going to become a force to be reckoned with. Sure, Fox Sports One will overtake ESPN as the biggest sports network in America.

When do games start, again? I'm getting sick of having this same argument over and over.

Reaction Score
I looked at some Big East schedules and I'd say they are just about as weak as AAC. We're in the same boat being left out. People bragging that they are in the new Big East are somewhat delusional

Reaction Score
I looked at some Big East schedules and I'd say they are just about as weak as AAC. We're in the same boat being left out. People bragging that they are in the new Big East are somewhat delusional

Not worried about UConn's schedule nor UConn's exposure. Both are good. It's the money that kills you.

If you look at UConn's games (Maryland, Florida, Stanford, BC, Indiana, Washington, Harvard, 2x Louisville, 2x Memphis, 2x Cincy, 2x Temple with maybe 2x against SMU being very good) the schedule is plenty tough enough, and it's probably better than any you'll see outside the B1G or ACC. Exposure is great too.

It's the TV money that hurts.

Reaction Score
This was pretty good, Pitt's not even on the list, but Marquette, Nova, Gtown and St John's are. (Pitt is ranked 58, PC 66).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/50-in-50-series/count/1

BTW, the new Big East has 6 of its 10 teams in the top 50 most successful in last 50 years.

Now you're talking stupid-comparing PC to Pitt! Here are Big East won-lost records in conference. GTown was great at the beginning, UConn was terrible those first ten years. Syr and UConn the last 25 years have been the best teams period. Pitt has more BE championships than all other new BE teams except GTown and has played fewer seasons than GTown. St Johns. PC has a .39 winning pct with ONE title!
http://www.orangehoops.org/BigEast/BE_All_Time_Won_Loss_Record.htm

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Now you're talking stupid-comparing PC to Pitt! Here are Big East won-lost records in conference. GTown was great at the beginning, UConn was terrible those first ten years. Syr and UConn the last 25 years have been the best teams period. Pitt has more BE championships than all other new BE teams except GTown and has played fewer seasons than GTown. St Johns. PC has a .39 winning pct with ONE title!
http://www.orangehoops.org/BigEast/BE_All_Time_Won_Loss_Record.htm

By the way, look at UConn's first 4 years in the BE.

Not one losing season. UConn wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't terrible.

People seem to forget that Perno came into the BE with Corny, Aleksinas, McKay, Kuscenski, Bailey and Giscombe. There was some talent there. They played decently, certainly not terrible. And then once the Earl Kelley circus came to town, the team went off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom