AAC Baseball Tournament to use pool play | The Boneyard

AAC Baseball Tournament to use pool play

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Eight teams in two pools. Three games, you play everyone in your pool. Winners play for title 5/25/14

Reaction Score
Eight teams in two pools. Three games, you play everyone in your pool. Winners play for title 5/25/14
maybe its the heat, but are you saying that you play 21 conference games (3 games X 7 teams in your pool?) then the winners of each pool play a 1 game championship? Or do more than 2 teams make the playoffs? I have to say I like double elimination in baseball. Or does everyone make the tournament, and you play in two pools, say A and B and the winner of each plays for the title?

Reaction Score
maybe its the heat, but are you saying that you play 21 conference games (3 games X 7 teams in your pool?) then the winners of each pool play a 1 game championship? Or do more than 2 teams make the playoffs? I have to say I like double elimination in baseball. Or does everyone make the tournament, and you play in two pools, say A and B and the winner of each plays for the title?

I am assuming that 8 teams make the tournament, with two pools of 4 teams each. Each team plays 3 games in their pool. Winners of each pool play for the championship. Seems simple.

Reaction Score
Ok, that makes sense. I mis-read the OP as 2 eight-team pools which kind of makes sense for the regular season. I know the old Big East teams played 24 conference games so 21 makes sense. I'm not sure 45 (15 teams @ 3 games/series) really does.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

So you play each of the three teams in your 'pool' and then one moves on?

That is great if one team goes 3-0 and there is a clear winner of the 'pool'. But in the case when two teams go 2-1, or heck even three teams go 2-1, how do you decide who moves on to the championship game? Is it going to be some stupid aggregate scoring tie-breaker where you are going to have teams running up the score to try to increase the run differential?

Why not just leave the current double-elimination format? It is what works best for baseball and is what all the major conferences, ncaa regionals, and College World Series use. Why create some stupid format where you are often going to have teams have the same record in the 'pool' and then have to pick the 'winner' in some stupid statistical aggregation or some off-field measure?!

Or am I just being dense and missing something here?

Reaction Score
So you play each of the three teams in your 'pool' and then one moves on?

That is great if one team goes 3-0 and there is a clear winner of the 'pool'. But in the case when two teams go 2-1, or heck even three teams go 2-1, how do you decide who moves on to the championship game? Is it going to be some stupid aggregate scoring tie-breaker where you are going to have teams running up the score to try to increase the run differential?

Why not just leave the current double-elimination format? It is what works best for baseball and is what all the major conferences, ncaa regionals, and College World Series use. Why create some stupid format where you are often going to have teams have the same record in the 'pool' and then have to pick the 'winner' in some stupid statistical aggregation or some off-field measure?!

Or am I just being dense and missing something here?

ACC used this same 8 team round robin format the last 5-6 years. Ties are broken by head-head results within the Division.

My sense is that they will probably move to a double-elimination format when ECU and Tulane join.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
ACC used this same 8 team round robin format the last 5-6 years. Ties are broken by head-head results within the Division.

That works if there are two teams that are 2-1. But if there are three teams who all go 2-1, then by definition they have each gone 1-1 against the other two teams tied at 2-1.

Reaction Score
That works if there are two teams that are 2-1. But if there are three teams who all go 2-1, then by definition they have each gone 1-1 against the other two teams tied at 2-1.

In the 6 years the ACC used the format - it never happened.

Which only means being the AAC it will happen the first year.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why the old double elimination process isn't better, but hey? I'm willing to try it for a year. If it was up to me, though, I'd go with a 1 game playoff if 2 teams tied. I really dislike awarding a team with a spot in the finals based on head to head when they have the same records. It works in some sports, but this is baseball and there really ought not be tiebreakers in a game where you can play back to back double headers. In football it takes a week to recover, so a tie breaker will be necessary. In baseball, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom