A very good analysis of the state of WCBB | The Boneyard

A very good analysis of the state of WCBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was just over on the baylor board and one of their posters has started a thread that is well worth a read about the state of WCBB and how it relates to expectations for a fan base like Baylor's.
I posted to the thread a few thoughts too.
Nothing earth shattering, but just a nice reflection for a fan that is dealing with disappointment and coming through to a more philosophical view of the situation.

Something we may have to deal with next year. :eek::)

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305073&p=5389388#post5389388

Reaction Score
Was just over on the baylor board and one of their posters has started a thread that is well worth a read about the state of WCBB and how it relates to expectations for a fan base like Baylor's.
I posted to the thread a few thoughts too.
Nothing earth shattering, but just a nice reflection for a fan that is dealing with disappointment and coming through to a more philosophical view of the situation.

Something we may have to deal with next year. :eek::)

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305073&p=5389388#post5389388
What a wonderful perspective both by that Baylor fan and then, of course, your response. So much truth in all of it. Geno first started our programs rise by getting the absolute best out of a team whose talent level was not nearly competitive with the better programs and their work ethic elevated their games and performances to the point where they started attracting more talented players! That fed better results and better team oriented athletes with great work ethics that started our upward trajectory to greatness. It's not shocking that over the last years more and more programs are getting coaches who want and expect maximum efforts from their kids and won't except anything less. As has been mentioned, ESPN spotlighting women's basketball in the aftermath of the 1995 championship has drawn more and more young and talented girls to women's basketball and with that, everyone wins. Teams are getting better and though it isn't as fast as some people would like it, you're seeing teams having success that years ago were afterthoughts, as once was the UConn women's program. Geno (and Chris) should be awarded sainthood in the annals of women's basketball for what they've done for this sport!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
dang you post over there more than you post on the Boneyard... the ETT of the Baylor Board :D
:)
Very infrequently, but around the time when we are likely to play them I am a more frequent visitor.

Reaction Score
In their press conferences after their team's last games, both Kim and Geno said virtually the same thing. That UConn's run of record-breaking success will not last forever, and that we as fans should enjoy it while it lasts. I'd be happy with two more games worth of success.

Reaction Score
In their press conferences after their team's last games, both Kim and Geno said virtually the same thing. That UConn's run of record-breaking success will not last forever, and that we as fans should enjoy it while it lasts. I'd be happy with two more games worth of success.

History may show that the odds are against UConn's continued domination but if they can successfully recruit Megan Walker and one big like Charlie Collier I like their chances to continue the championship run in a year or two.......

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really terrific posts Uc
Blackies' and yours
Next year really shapes up to be a fascinating year.
if Geno can pull anther rabbit out of the hat.
No accolades would suffice.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the article.
Every year I start with a hope every player stays healthy, no illness or injuries for the whole season, and let the chips fall where they may.
I don't demand a Championship to have a successful season.

Caroline Doty tells the story of a post season banquet for the donators several years ago. Sometime in the chitchat period before the food a gentleman came up to Caroline Doty and congratulated her on UCONN's "pretty good season". And Caroline Doty replied "We won the National Championship!" And the guy seriously points a finger in her face and says, "yes, but you lost to Villanova in the Big East Final, finishing 37-1!" She just shook her head and told Geno, "we've created a monster!"

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Thanks for the article.
Every year I start with a hope every player stays healthy, no illness or injuries for the whole season, and let the chips fall where they may.
I don't demand a Championship to have a successful season.

Caroline Doty tells the story of a post season banquet for the donators several years ago. Sometime in the chitchat period before the food a gentleman came up to Caroline Doty and congratulated her on UCONN's "pretty good season". And Caroline Doty replied "We won the National Championship!" And the guy seriously points a finger in her face and says, "yes, but you lost to Villanova in the Big East Final, finishing 37-1!" She just shook her head and told Geno, "we've created a monster!"

Absolutely, Sherm: the expectations of some fans, from the very new to the "heavy hitters" can be so extraordinary as to be delusional. And, terribly, terribly unfair to the program, much less a bunch of college kids. Somehow, "expectation" replaces "appreciation" and a sense of entitlement and being "owed" perfection takes root - instead of the wonder, joy and satisfaction that such effort and accomplishment should generate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Awesome post by UC and Blackie. Thanks for the link.

Reaction Score
I like as well this part of a post later in the thread:

3. One area where Geno and Uconn have made a difference beyond just the publicity/popularity is in the way coaches and teams practice and play - the intensity and single minded purpose that Uconn demonstrates has spread throughout the better programs. Aston and her TX team saw it last year in an 'in your face' kind of way, and they came back this year as a vastly better team. Shaeffer and MsSt saw it this year and returned home determined to be better at everything the next time they appear. Muffet bumped her head against the wall for years until she finally got the right formula and players to break through. I don't mean to claim this strictly to uconn - Pat started this way way back and probably Jody before her and others and I am sure Kim has never been anything else. But Uconn has been the embodiment of it for the last ten years. It is where the analogy to Tiger really comes to the fore - before Tiger golfers were sort of quasi athletes, after Tiger started dominating, there were very few golfers who weren't spending as much time in the gym as they were on the putting green. Before this current run by Uconn, practice for a lot of programs was what you did between games - now it is where you build the stamina and drive to play 40 minutes flat out, and where you repeat and repeat and repeat until you don't simply get it right, but until you no longer get it wrong. If you want to be the best you better work as hard or harder than everyone else. ( I remember the first game uconn and Baylor played in the Griner era and about half way into the first half Griner signaling to Kim that she needed a break and I think that may have been her 'awakening', because I never saw her signal for a break in any of the following years we played.)

Reaction Score
Great posts. Someone should send a copy to the CHB....

Reaction Score
And that is also how UCONN helped the Big East and now AAC improve those leagues' competitiveness.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like as well this part of a post later in the thread:

3. One area where Geno and Uconn have made a difference beyond just the publicity/popularity is in the way coaches and teams practice and play - the intensity and single minded purpose that Uconn demonstrates has spread throughout the better programs. Aston and her TX team saw it last year in an 'in your face' kind of way, and they came back this year as a vastly better team. Shaeffer and MsSt saw it this year and returned home determined to be better at everything the next time they appear. Muffet bumped her head against the wall for years until she finally got the right formula and players to break through. I don't mean to claim this strictly to uconn - Pat started this way way back and probably Jody before her and others and I am sure Kim has never been anything else. But Uconn has been the embodiment of it for the last ten years. It is where the analogy to Tiger really comes to the fore - before Tiger golfers were sort of quasi athletes, after Tiger started dominating, there were very few golfers who weren't spending as much time in the gym as they were on the putting green. Before this current run by Uconn, practice for a lot of programs was what you did between games - now it is where you build the stamina and drive to play 40 minutes flat out, and where you repeat and repeat and repeat until you don't simply get it right, but until you no longer get it wrong. If you want to be the best you better work as hard or harder than everyone else. ( I remember the first game uconn and Baylor played in the Griner era and about half way into the first half Griner signaling to Kim that she needed a break and I think that may have been her 'awakening', because I never saw her signal for a break in any of the following years we played.)
Thanks! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As to expectations. I hope that if there is a drop off in wins next year as a result of this year's graduations this bulletin board does not turn into another Vol Nation. Talk about spoiled fans. If next year's team plays hard and maximizes their abilities I will be more than happy with that, even if they don't go undefeated or make the Final Four. Of course, another NC would be great, no doubt. ;)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That is a good conversation, thanks for the link. As for tempered expectations, obviously with the loss of two, maybe three, all-Americans the gap between UConn and the next tier is going to shrink but it remains to be seen how that will translate to wins and losses. Mainly because I know how hard they're going to work and because I think Geno and CD have 'cracked the code' on how to get the most out of what they have. I would not be at all surprised to see the Huskies maintain a level of excellence that others envy. Does anyone think they won't win the AAC next year? Won't be a 1 or 2 seed? It would be hard to be disappointed if that doesn't happen I think that's where I am at. I just think any 'drop-off' at UConn, while Geno & CD are still there, is going to be from deep space to low orbit. I don't see them coming down to the atmosphere.. UcM, you posted about an overall uptick in the quality of coaching across WBB and I think that's valid and makes UConn's dominance even more remarkable IMO, they are doing it against tougher competition. One thing that really intrigues me though, is that Geno doesn't have a patent on hard work and he's very open about sharing his methods, so why does no else approach his results? My suspicion is that CD is much more important to the process at UConn than is generally acknowledged. You see allusions to it from time to time but I wonder if the synergy of a coaching partnership in synch like they obviously are provides then with a broader range of buttons to push with regard to getting the players to buy-in. I mean, any coach should be able to match Geno's work ethic, what's different at UConn, I would argue, is the level of commitment they get from the players. So, this could be my blue-tinted glasses talking, but regardless of graduation losses, I expect UConn to be a top program as long as Geno remains.

Reaction Score
Seoul, I believe people underestimate 2 of Geno's strengths.First he is an excellent teacher of basketball, in game tactician and at practice. The other tremendous asset is more subtle but very important. Just Like Bill Parcells of pro football fame, Geno knows how to motivate and manage each player differently. It sounds easy but it is an art form to know what buttons to push on each player to allow them to maximize their talents. As the MSU coach said, Geno gets more out of his AAs than the other coaches.

Reaction Score
That was a great post from the Baylor side. Loved the writing. Sure it was long. But the writing was perfect which made for an easy read.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Seoul, I believe people underestimate 2 of Geno's strengths.First he is an excellent teacher of basketball, in game tactician and at practice. The other tremendous asset is more subtle but very important. Just Like Bill Parcells of pro football fame, Geno knows how to motivate and manage each player differently. It sounds easy but it is an art form to know what buttons to push on each player to allow them to maximize their talents. As the MSU coach said, Geno gets more out of his AAs than the other coaches.
Couldn't agree more BG. I was just thinking out loud on the CD piece but I do have a sense that players coming to UConn get wrapped up in a really strong eco-system that addresses overall well being.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan and Bgilion - I'll add to you response. No detail is too small - a trait that both Geno and CD share, and nothing is ever 'good enough'. Do you know how exhausting that can be to live your life that way, but both CD and Geno are wired that way. And they are able to instill that attention to detail in their players, and that attitude of never being satisfied - they may get there kicking and screaming, but they get there. And perhaps that is the secret to their recruiting formula - finding those people who can live their life in the 'unsatisfied' space and are willing to do everything they can to get a little closer to being almost satisfied.

There are not many coaches that have that kind of focus, and enough energy to demand that much of players every day. You can run them hard and teach them well, but to nit pick, and redo the same drill over and over and over until the team finally gets it exactly right, and then run it another ten times to make sure they really do have it down ... that is bordering on obsession (or worse) and most coaches just can't go that far and a lot of players aren't willing to follow that path.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan and Bgilion - I'll add to you response. No detail is too small - a trait that both Geno and CD share, and nothing is ever 'good enough'. Do you know how exhausting that can be to live your life that way, but both CD and Geno are wired that way. And they are able to instill that attention to detail in their players, and that attitude of never being satisfied - they may get there kicking and screaming, but they get there. And perhaps that is the secret to their recruiting formula - finding those people who can live their life in the 'unsatisfied' space and are willing to do everything they can to get a little closer to being almost satisfied.

There are not many coaches that have that kind of focus, and enough energy to demand that much of players every day. You can run them hard and teach them well, but to nit pick, and redo the same drill over and over and over until the team finally gets it exactly right, and then run it another ten times to make sure they really do have it down ... that is bordering on obsession (or worse) and most coaches just can't go that far and a lot of players aren't willing to follow that path.
those kids would be calling home for mommie and daddy to come pick them up.

just like that coach said "get in the gym, get off Twitter and all that other stuff"

I definitely know a few players who are more into looking good, posting selfies and enjoying the "college life" and arent into really getting better at basketball which actually is the reason they're on the campus

Reaction Score
The magic that Geno and CD have is that while they are never satisfied because there is no perfect game of basketball, they still produce self assured, grounded women who, while striving for the impossible level called "perfection" are not destroyed athletically or emotionally by "dreaming the impossible dream." Not many can do that. It truly is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom