A St. John's blogger takes a shot at UConn fans | The Boneyard

A St. John's blogger takes a shot at UConn fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't think I'm ever going to develop a true tolerance for UConn fans, especially not in arenas I consider to be mine, but at least they spend money. It is what it is. :/ I'm tired of seeing UConn blowouts, though. Step your game up, y'all.

We did see Tierney Lawlor can a late three like it was nothing. She's got a real pretty shot. She could probably be in the rotation anywhere else in the state of Connecticut, but there are basketball players in the state of Connecticut who would rather be walk-ons at UConn. I sort of get it. I don't necessarily agree, and I think that mentality is bad for the game, but I understand it. :)rolleyes:)

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kinda funny. Any putz can start up a blog. But the mentality of being a walk on and traveling and playing with all time greats, winning NC's, and getting a great education is bad for the game? It would be better for Lawler or Pulido to go to some other school and miss out on all the incredible UCONN experiences? And that mentality is bad for the game? So many things wrong with just that one sentence, bub... <rolls eyes> :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that in an earlier era when Tennessee was far more singly dominant than the reality of modern wcbb allows UConn to be, I never once saw the complaint that the LVs were ruining wcbb. Never once. Rather it was an uninterrupted stream of swooning. Now it's about all one ever sees about UConn from any writer outside the Horde. Why is this obvious double standard acceptable, never mind "necessary"?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that in an earlier era when Tennessee was far more singly dominant than the reality of modern wcbb allows UConn to be, I never once saw the complaint that the LVs were ruining wcbb. Never once. Rather it was an uninterrupted stream of swooning. Now it's about all one ever sees about UConn from any writer outside the Horde. Why is this obvious double standard acceptable, never mind "necessary"?
Probably because back in the day, WCBB was not nearly as popular? I'm not saying it's popular today like the NBA or MCBB, or even like women's tennis or track/field, etc. But WCBB was barely blip on the radar. Now it's much more popular by comparison...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a flaw in the premise behind the blogger's little sermon. Lawlor and Pulido chose to get an education at UConn. In Pulido's case it was also to be a track and field athlete. There is nothing to suggest that they were recruited for college ball or tried to be. Neither said I will turn down a b'ball scholarship at X so I can try to walk on at UConn. As for the chip on the shoulder...MSG does not belong to the Red Storm. Maybe about 50 years ago you could make the argument in the men's game, but not now.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't think Lawlor received any scholarship offers, otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't be walking on at UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's arguable whether UTenn was far more singly dominant in the 1980s and 1990s than UConn has been in the 2000s. They did win 6 NCs in 12 years, the same once every two year ratio as with UConn's 7 in 14 years, but they also got knocked off in the NC game back in 1984 and then again in 1995 during those decades. The 8-0 record that UConn has posted in the NC game gives them an extra feeling of dominance, especially since 4 of them have come at the hands of their historical rival. When UTenn is very good and makes it to the NC they still often have lost, while everyone knows that when UConn is very good and wins through to the NC, 0h-oh.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't think Lawlor received any scholarship offers, otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't be walking on at UConn.
She was also a soccer player in HS at Ansonia, so maybe we'll see her head one in for a basket at some point.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Many flaws in this piece in addition to those noted.

Kiah Stokes didn't get into the game until the second half, but she played well defensively once she was in the game.

Actually, Kiah did play in the first half.

We were somewhat disappointed that Geno left Dolson in so late, but I've seen a lot of UConn games; I know that sometimes they have to leave a starter in just to make sure the deep reserves don't run the score up.

No mention of Dolson's limited minutes in the 1st half? How about Geno sitting Stewart with 12:49 left in the game. . . for good.

Reaction Score
I understand how that blogger feels, but to be fair there are teams like UConn in every sport that eventually you grow to hate because of their inordinate amount of winning and attention they receive.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

wbb...I think the first part of your statement is true, there were no scholarships of note. But, keep in mind she played center at 5'7" in high school at the request of her coach. She was also a "grinder" on the AAU team, doing the dirty work under the hoop while others put up shots. Not too much demand for 5'7" centers in WBB. Her 43% from 3 this season (6-14) shows what kind of range and accuracy she has in her skill set.

I also believe both her parents went to UConn (Dad played football) and as a child TLaw saw lots of UConn sports, including Women's basketball. Finally, the decision to walk-on was made after enrolling and seeing Stewie's tweet inviting potential tryouts. She is living a dream, but I don't think it was the original plan. Just a wonderful twist of fate....Go TLaw and Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many flaws in this piece in addition to those noted.

Kiah Stokes didn't get into the game until the second half, but she played well defensively once she was in the game.

Actually, Kiah did play in the first half.

We were somewhat disappointed that Geno left Dolson in so late, but I've seen a lot of UConn games; I know that sometimes they have to leave a starter in just to make sure the deep reserves don't run the score up.

No mention of Dolson's limited minutes in the 1st half? How about Geno sitting Stewart with 12:49 left in the game. . . for good.
How about only 9 players? Someone from the first team has to be on the floor. Math skills are fundamental.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The writer has both a keen eye for the game and a gift for presenting his thoughts. In the interest of full disclosure, he admits to a certain bias (e.g., "I like [Morgan Tuck], and I know I'd like her more if she wasn't a Husky, and I recognize that bias within myself."); give him credit for candor.

My appreciation for his blog is limited by his wildly wayward presentation of facts. Specifically, I believe that James Dolan might be astonished to read that he now must concede ownership of Madison Square Garden to some alums of St. John's University.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Terrible writing. Shouldn't get through most college classes.

Reaction Score
How about only 9 players? Someone from the first team has to be on the floor. Math skills are fundamental.
I think this irritates me the most because it implies UConn is running up the score or still putting the full press on. Also annoying is that every one of these types of blogs or tweets or whatever you call them these days insinuates that UConn gets the #1 through #15 recruits every single year, has a team with 25 All-Americans on it, and that's so unfair! Meanwhile, back on planet reality, UConn typically plays with a pretty short bench and doesn't get all of the top players. Coach Auriemma has said that 12 is the max he wants on a team between scholarship players and walk-ons, so they are pretty much right at the limit of what Coach wants to carry to ensure everyone gets a fair amount of playing time.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
It's just a blogger mouthing off. Lots of people hate dominant teams like UConn. It goes with the territory. I hated the Yankees when I was growing up. Now I only feel derision and pity.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I think some of us should lighten up. If you are a fan of the #1 team (in any sport) and expect to be universally loved, you are setting yourself of for disappointment. Are we really that fragile to let some schmuck rant and take him seriously?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think some of us should lighten up. If you are a fan of the #1 team (in any sport) and expect to be universally loved, you are setting yourself of for disappointment. Are we really that fragile to let some schmuck rant and take him seriously?

Seriously? You have not been around a lot if you think any of the posts above indicate any of us take it seriously or is upset. The "universal love" bit - a straw man of your own creation. We like to chat and in a quiet period a bit of cannon fodder is appreciated. Now that blogger took a cheap shot at two of our players - (they'd rather sit at UConn than play somewhere else) - and it was factually flawed and a low blow, so it deserved a certain degree of flak.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually, I personally am loved by everyone in this universe, and it is simply because I am a fan of the UConn Huskies. The problem with this blogger is that he is from one of those anti-matter type universes called Anti-Clue, and his attempt to invade my universe with his anti-truth evil rays is of deep concern to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No problem with the opinions which might be considered weak and in several instances in accurate to what occurred, it's just the lousy writing which occupies many of these blogs.

Reaction Score
People who support teams who don't win are often bitter. It's true in all sports.

Reaction Score
It's just a blogger mouthing off. Lots of people hate dominant teams like UConn. It goes with the territory. I hated the Yankees when I was growing up. Now I only feel derision and pity.

Pretty cat in your avatar!!

Reaction Score

I've heard it asked a couple times "Why didn't people complain when Tennessee was dominating?".

The truth is, besides the 1998 Tennessee Lady Vols, they did not truly dominate like UConn has done in some years. That was their only undefeated season. That was the only season they dominated.

Every other Tennessee season that won the title, they lost at least 2 games, and played a couple of other closes ones. The 8 titles were spread out from 1987-2008. UConn has 7 between 2000-2013.

UConn has played atleast 2 seasons where they were barely challenged outside of a game or two, 2002 and 2009. Besides the first half stinker of the 2010 title game, they weren't really challenged in 2010 either. 1995 was undefeated with the only close games coming against UVA and Tennessee. And of course there's 4 more titles. Since about 2008, the only teams to have beat UConn are Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, and St. John's. Everyone else has been blown out.

I think people are more concerned right now about their dominance for 2 main reasons. The way they destroyed Louisville in the title game. Largest margin of victory ever in a year UConn technically wasn't supposed to win. And right now you have yet another season where quite possibly, they may not be challenged. That's a lot of undefeated unchallenged seasons. The "dominance" when Tennessee was at it's peak doesn't compare to what UConn has done the last 15 years. If I was a fan of other teams or the game itself I would be concerned too, and most of all I would wonder why Geno is making their coaches and teams look like a mockery. Teams have had great players before. Few have dominated when they get them to this extent. Clearly some programs are failing to adjust to what Geno is coming with. It's time to demand better. Not whine about the desire to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom