A Single Move that Could Save the ACC & Maybe UConn | The Boneyard

A Single Move that Could Save the ACC & Maybe UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
ND goes ACC full-time, ACC limits conference schedule as an accommodation to ND (maybe that is what the OOC scheduling alliance w/ B12 is about?) and UConn slides in as #16. Far-fetched, but that would be in the best interests of almost everyone not named B1G and would really settle down the expansion rumors if it came w/ the as-to-yet untested GOR.

OK, fantasy time over. We're fcucked!

Reaction Score
It makes the most sense, therefor it will never happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Swarbrick's daughter marries the head of groundkeeping at Old Dominion and they demand ODU as their travel partner as a condition for entering the ACC.

Reaction Score
I doubt ND joins a conference for football in the near term. What has baffled me is why ND and Texas don't get together and draft other schools to join them in a new conference. Then you can create a conference without the weakest football schools and smallest markets like Iowa State, Baylor, Wake Forest, Duke, Kansas, ...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ND goes ACC full-time, ACC limits conference schedule as an accommodation to ND (maybe that is what the OOC scheduling alliance w/ B12 is about?) and UConn slides in as #16. Far-fetched, but that would be in the best interests of almost everyone not named B1G and would really settle down the expansion rumors if it came w/ the as-to-yet untested GOR.

OK, fantasy time over. We're fcucked!

This is obviously what Swofford is hoping happens at some point, and the reason they added ND for Olympics. It makes too much sense to happen.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I doubt ND joins a conference for football in the near term. What has baffled me is why ND and Texas don't get together and draft other schools to join them in a new conference. Then you can create a conference without the weakest football schools and smallest markets like Iowa State, Baylor, Wake Forest, Duke, Kansas, ...
it would be too tough for them. do you think texas wants to play good teams every week if they don't have to?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Also, only the northern (not BCU) ACC teams want us. The southern schools for whatever reason don't want us in the ACC. I'm more pessimistic about the ACC in the long run unless the Miamis and FSUs and GTs and BCU are no longer there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hate the ACC. I really don't want to be on par with our northeast schools, I want to leapfrog them in CR. B1G instantly leapfrogs the Fruit, the golden birdsh1t, and puts us back on par with the Chicago Cubs...er, Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Also, only the northern (not BCU) ACC teams want us. The southern schools for whatever reason don't want us in the ACC. I'm more pessimistic about the ACC in the long run unless the Miamis and FSUs and GTs and BCU are no longer there.
Just to be clear, which are the northern schools in the ACC not named BC? Are you including Pitt and Cuse? I still question very sincerely how much UNC, NC State, VaTech, UVA, Wake and even Duke wanted Uconn to join. The ACC is still run by the NC mafia. If they wanted it, it would have happened. One NC mafia vote kept BC out of the first ACC expansion. That gave UNC and Duke a reason to vote no too. They still get what they want. Its the only reason why Raycomm still has a role in their TV contracts and why their main TV sponsors on Raycomm are Food Lion and your NC Ford dealers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, which are the northern schools in the ACC not named BC? Are you including Pitt and Cuse? I still question very sincerely how much UNC, NC State, VaTech, UVA, Wake and even Duke wanted Uconn to join. The ACC is still run by the NC mafia. If they wanted it, it would have happened. One NC mafia vote kept BC out of the first ACC expansion. That gave UNC and Duke a reason to vote no too. They still get what they want. Its the only reason why Raycomm still has a role in their TV contracts and why their main TV sponsors on Raycomm are Food Lion and your NC Ford dealers.

You are pretty wrong. UConn's support was from Tobacco Road. It is quite simply the threat of FSU leaving that allowed the ACC to add Louisville. This is how also how you know that the Big 12 would take FSU since the ACC rolled over on Louisville's academics.

pj

Reaction Score
Swarbrick's daughter marries the head of groundkeeping at Old Dominion and they demand ODU as their travel partner as a condition for entering the ACC.

Didn't Swarbrick's daughter already marry the assistant groundskeeper at Bushwood Country Club? By the way, what happened to Swarbrick's son-in-law Carl?

Reaction Score
It was Virginia's vote and their Governor (or Senator) that stopped expansion after Miami. They blocked BC and Cuse at that time, in an effort to get VT in. Both Bc and SU came back and swore their loyalty to the BE. The ACC then tried for ND, who said now. They then lobbied the NCAA to have a championship game with only 11 teams. Once that came back as a no they invited BC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn is much more likely to join the A10 than it is to ever join the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Then why are you still here?

So you are the positivity police now? STFU. Go take your lame trolling somewhere else.

One of many differences between you and me is that you enjoy this, where I am pissed off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you are the positivity police now? STFU. Go take your lame trolling somewhere else.

One of many differences between you and me is that you enjoy this, where I am pissed off.

I like how you didn't answer the question. You are right about one thing I'm sort of done being pissed off. Not really sure what was such a big deal about today - nothing new happened, they took a name that's been mocked for years. And they paid for it. It actually seems like a good day as far as CR goes. At least UConn probably made a few million.

Reaction Score

It was a bad time for ND to play for the football championship, if people wanted them to join a conference. Their NBC ratings were probably way up this year. They had been soft.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's not a lot of pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference. I guess if the playoff requirements put a premium on a conference championship or something, maybe that changes.

But until it does, they'll keep the ACC bent over a chair until something else tickles their fancy.

Reaction Score
I like how you didn't answer the question. You are right about one thing I'm sort of done being pissed off. Not really sure what was such a big deal about today - nothing new happened, they took a name that's been mocked for years. And they paid for it. It actually seems like a good day as far as CR goes. At least UConn probably made a few million.
Exactly. Not sure how this made the situation any worse than it is. I'd like to see what the payout is going to be, but these teams were leaving, and keeping the Big East name isn't worth it at this point. Lets get paid and move on.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Exactly. Not sure how this made the situation any worse than it is. I'd like to see what the payout is going to be, but these teams were leaving, and keeping the Big East name isn't worth it at this point. Lets get paid and move on.
I wanna agree as well but let's wait and see how it all shakes out tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath that Aresco will actually do some lucrative for this conference and sell the BE name for a high price. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he gave it away for a bag of peanuts.

Reaction Score
I wanna agree as well but let's wait and see how it all shakes out tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath that Aresco will actually do some lucrative for this conference and sell the BE name for a high price. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he gave it away for a bag of peanuts.

I'd be shocked if the Big East name is worth a full bag of peanuts. Maybe a half-bag. That's a fair deal. Anything more is probably a net win for the non-C7 schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Saw come across twitter they trade their exit fee rights and take the name. It was amongst mainstream media types. Makes sense. Hopefully true.

Reaction Score
Saw come across twitter they trade their exit fee rights and take the name. It was amongst mainstream media types. Makes sense. Hopefully true.
Yep. Should help us keep our program competitive financially for a few years till this shakes out further. Buying time.

Reaction Score
UConn is much more likely to join the A10 than it is to ever join the ACC.

MrMuntz doesn't know ... we have already been in the A10 for Football. (1997-1999) ... and so was Penn State.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So does that mean they don't pay an exit fee but give up their claims to Syracuse, Pitt, TCU, and WVU exit fees? I heard also possibly they give up the NCAA tourny credits. If they are will to leave all that money on the table they can have the stupid name. That amount of cash should keep us in the black for a few years. Hopefully by then we're out of whatever this conference will be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom