A simplistic review of the boxscore | The Boneyard

A simplistic review of the boxscore

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Some takeaways from the first game.
- Shots - Mich St took an additional 10 shots which is mostly explained by their rebounding advantage (plus 14)
- Shooting percentages - opponent -37.5% including 23.5% on threes - Perhaps State had an off shooting night; perhaps the UConn D (especially the perimeter D) is legit. - More games will be needed
- Shooting % Huskies -46% (including 46% from 3) - Gee - those %'s will win more than enough games.
- Other D - 10 blocks - sure, great! But even this optimistic fan won't expect that every gaem. Sure did help in this one.
- 13 assists on 25 baskets - Right about what I would expect from any team that is playing as a unit.
- Turnovers - UConn edge 13 to 15 - 13 is a decent number still with room to improve - but a running team will add acouple of extra turnovers.
- FT's - 10-13 (76%) - yup good focus here as well - 76% plus should be the game to game goal.
- 8 man rotation - used to take JC several weeks to boil down to 8 - IS KO already set or is this just the way the numbers worked for this game. (Is Nolan hurt? - Would've liked to have seen him a in even a cameo)
- Who scored? - Expected from Napier and RB - Nice to see DD add a third leg to the stool - Have a feeling which 3 every game out will rotate a bit this season.
- Fouls - Against a tough front court loaded State team, no one was in trouble (unless Wolf's three bring an issue to anyone's point of view)
- Steals (UConn 11 to 9) - umm they sure did make that big guy look clumsy -I think that any team that tries to go big on UConn will have to be wary of that
- Scoring (The game was won in the 1st half - very impressed by UConn taking that large lead (even 7 up at half) and then taking States best punches and holding on.
- Individual take aways:
- Omar - Didn't score (save 1 FT) - but didn't turn the ball over and added two assists - My take is that he took what the game gave him and didn't force the issue (0-2 shooting including missing his only 3) - This strikes me in a good way - He played in the flow of the game and defered to the players with the hot hand. He will have his games.
- TO - 4 blocks, 4 assists, 1 TO, 6 boards - Yup - I like it - with only two fouls - he is looking to be the man up front (as much as anyone on this roster can be - UConn will not be a doughnut team this season.
- Evans - anyone else surprised by his 28 minutes (AND how well he played during them) ?
- DD - Jury is still out - but we just may have unleashed a 4 on the rest of the opponents - They will have to address him or face losing that match-up every game.

So - anyway - it was a great start to the KO era. I still expect that there will be ups and downs this season - I think that KO is starting to show that he has the abilities (and the right mix of players) to address them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom