A prediction against UConn perfection | The Boneyard

A prediction against UConn perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Amongst all the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth and pleading for parity, there is actually one sports service that has made the projection that UConn is going down in the regular season. The cockles of all the ESPNw pundits' hearts can now be thoroughly warmed and WCBB fandom can flock back to the action in the full fervor of competition.

Warren Nolan, whose BB service provides a lot of useful information, has done the useful deed, projecting obviously a UConn loss at Louisville. He also has Stanford losing a PAC-12 game while Duke also just loses one game in the ACC. The ratings from Nolan's NPI power index do not support a loss for either the Huskies or Cardinal, and Duke should likely pile up many more losses. LSU, MSU, and WVU\OKSU are other projected conference champs, UConn and Louisville will also be co-champs. But these projections are based not on the NPI but on the standard idiot RPI index that he also throws in on his site. Why he would use the RPI for projections is unclear, but maybe it's some sort of ridiculous homage to the old Palm RPI projections? Don't know, but let the trumpets blare forth now that WCBB is saved.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Everybody has a Dream and I guess that his. Why is it so many people on the Boneyard know more then the reporters?????????

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the game at the Yum Center will be our toughest game before April. However, I don't think that Louisville has the talent or the matchups to win.

My biggest concern is ND in the Final Four. We will need at least a B+ effort to win that. If we play as we did in Waco, it will be a nail-biter.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Everybody has a Dream and I guess that his. Why is it so many people on the Boneyard know more then the reporters?????????
Well, this is not Nolan's dream, though again I wonder why he doesn't do projections off his NPI which would have UConn winning the game in L-ville by a lot. This is really just showing again the idiocy of the RPI system, and when the Palm RPI service was existent, it was the same crap with the projections, though in many years in the mid 2000s the BEast did not have any team close enough to UConn in the RPI index to project a loss. In the years that Rutgers was good it certainly was not a travesty when UConn was projected for a loss at the RAC, as we all knew that was a reasonable possibility.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think the game at the Yum Center will be our toughest game before April. However, I don't think that Louisville has the talent or the matchups to win.

My biggest concern is ND in the Final Four. We will need at least a B+ effort to win that. If we play as we did in Waco, it will be a nail-biter.
But Baylor really only stayed that close because of the flops, and you really don't think Muffet would have her team flop on the Huskies, do you?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Louisville on the road would be an obvious pick for a regular season loss, but Louisville's performances against FSU Colorado, and Temple, all at the Yum!, make it seem very unlikely.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Don't mean they know anything.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
But since it's a loss, at least UConn will learn something from it.

Reaction Score
More than any other team is the threat from complacency. There is not a team out there that is close to good enough to beat UCONN.

Reaction Score
Louisville will lose every game against UConn this year.

Unless Walz changes his thinking and follows ND and Baylor. In past games, he had his players fouling key UConn players every time they touch the ball, he should do the opposite and have his players fall every time a UConn player gets near them.

Flop and flop! that is the latest to use against UConn.
It is easier to attack when the players defending you are handicapped by foul trouble. Until our three's are falling in, it is going to be a struggle.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
But Baylor really only stayed that close because of the flops, and you really don't think Muffet would have her team flop on the Huskies, do you?

I'm as big a UConn fan as any of all sports and for much longer than most, but I'm telling you the flops are exaggerated in the minds of the BY. There were not that many (I looked back at the whole game) and our poor outside shooting had as much to do with the closeness of the game as any. Plus Baylor ought to be competitive with us on their home floor unless UConn is totally invincible. Going unbeaten is not easy, let alone never having a single competitive game. I was sitting at Harbor Yards hoping that Temple hits a few more second half shots just to keep them interested so they didn't just totally mail it in.

Reaction Score
I'm as big a UConn fan as any of all sports and for much longer than most, but I'm telling you the flops are exaggerated in the minds of the BY. There were not that many (I looked back at the whole game) and our poor outside shooting had as much to do with the closeness of the game as any. Plus Baylor ought to be competitive with us on their home floor unless UConn is totally invincible. Going unbeaten is not easy, let alone never having a single competitive game. I was sitting at Harbor Yards hoping that Temple hits a few more second half shots just to keep them interested so they didn't just totally mail it in.

I agree! The reason the game was close is that UConn's 3 point shooting was way below average. That is going to happen from time to time particular against teams like Baylor that can apply perimeter pressure.

I don't see Louisville causing UConn problems. They just don't have the talent. In my opinion, the only team that can beat UConn is Notre Dame. They are playing better this year without Skylar Diggs. Muffet is a great coach and ND can compete.

Reaction Score
Louisville on the road would be an obvious pick for a regular season loss, but Louisville's performances against FSU Colorado, and Temple, all at the Yum!, make it seem very unlikely.

Louisville played Temple in Philly. I was there.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In past games, he had his players fouling key UConn players every time they touch the ball, he should do the opposite and have his players fall every time a UConn player gets near them.

It's a regional pronunciation thing. Walz yells out "Fall! Fall" but the players hear "Foul! Foul!" so they foul.

He'll pull them aside and explain, and then they'll realize they are supposed to be flopping.

Reaction Score
Louisville will lose every game against UConn this year.

Unless Walz changes his thinking and follows ND and Baylor. In past games, he had his players fouling key UConn players every time they touch the ball, he should do the opposite and have his players fall every time a UConn player gets near them.

Flop and flop! that is the latest to use against UConn.
It is easier to attack when the players defending you are handicapped by foul trouble. Until our three's are falling in, it is going to be a struggle.
Right, Looville won't stay within 20 of us. Take it tothe bank.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But since it's a loss, at least UConn will learn something from it.
A la 2003, that is indeed a good lesson to learn sometimes, or sometimes just to blow everything away and come back stronger than ever. I'm guessing that this year's team really doesn't need any lessons like that, and most of them remember 4 close losses from last year. Most likely UConn wins all the games by double digits, but they do just need to know how to handle those times like in the first half of the 2010 NC when the shots just aren't going through and everything is a slog and the confidence is being strained.

They'll work it all out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Twice in the regular season
likely once in the tournament
quite possibly in the regionals

Hard for any team to beat another 4 times (i'm not speaking of Seton Hall).
Even for UConn.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Amongst all the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth and pleading for parity, there is actually one sports service that has made the projection that UConn is going down in the regular season. The cockles of all the ESPNw pundits' hearts can now be thoroughly warmed and WCBB fandom can flock back to the action in the full fervor of competition.

Warren Nolan, whose BB service provides a lot of useful information, has done the useful deed, projecting obviously a UConn loss at Louisville. He also has Stanford losing a PAC-12 game while Duke also just loses one game in the ACC. The ratings from Nolan's NPI power index do not support a loss for either the Huskies or Cardinal, and Duke should likely pile up many more losses. LSU, MSU, and WVU\OKSU are other projected conference champs, UConn and Louisville will also be co-champs. But these projections are based not on the NPI but on the standard idiot RPI index that he also throws in on his site. Why he would use the RPI for projections is unclear, but maybe it's some sort of ridiculous homage to the old Palm RPI projections? Don't know, but let the trumpets blare forth now that WCBB is saved.

Opinions are like a....h..., everyone has one

Reaction Score

I too am a huge fan but I too thought there were 1 or 2 flops until my son emailed me ( he coaches kids) and asked me to first just watch Sims no matter where the ball is or if she is shooting or playing defense or rebounding and you will be surprised. Slo-mo her first 3 pt shot at the start, she also flopped while on defense moving past a pick. That doesn't even count coaaches daughter flopping at least 3 times.I have always spoke of Mulkey as a top notch coach but it can't be an accident how many of he

Reaction Score
Twice in the regular season
likely once in the tournament
quite possibly in the regionals

Hard for any team to beat another 4 times (i'm not speaking of Seton Hall).
Even for UConn.
That's a myth.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I too am a huge fan but I too thought there were 1 or 2 flops until my son emailed me ( he coaches kids) and asked me to first just watch Sims no matter where the ball is or if she is shooting or playing defense or rebounding and you will be surprised. Slo-mo her first 3 pt shot at the start, she also flopped while on defense moving past a pick. That doesn't even count coaaches daughter flopping at least 3 times.I have always spoke of Mulkey as a top notch coach but it can't be an accident how many of he

The thing is, the number of flops as opposed to the number of flops that got fouls called on UConn are not the same thing. It was hardly a major reason why the game was close. In the second half, UConn had something like 3 or 3 fouls total called on them, and the game tightened up anyway.

Reaction Score
The thing is, the number of flops as opposed to the number of flops that got fouls called on UConn are not the same thing. It was hardly a major reason why the game was close. In the second half, UConn had something like 3 or 3 fouls total called on them, and the game tightened up anyway.

Don't want tostart a big todo here but at 19:04 flop 3 foul shots 11:55 flop 2 foul shots 11:33 the absolute worst acting job ever 3 foul shots
8 pts in the fiest 10 minutes is a lot

Reaction Score
Right, but you're not taking into account the fact that you can't play your normal game, especially defense, when you have 3 or 4 fouls on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom