Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Interesting. This that I took away from this:

1) UNC had no clue about how much more earnings potential it had in the SEC or B1G until AFTER Maryland bolted. Seems to me that they were just as out of touch as UConn in either round of ACC expansion.

2) No mention of UConn or contact between UConn and UNC at all. Hopefully Herbst was working the phones and not emails.

Reaction Score
It is depressing to think NC is nervous about how little cash the ACC is getting compared to the other power conferences and how they won't be able to compete, and we are one hundred times removed from ACC money.

I did however get a chuckle out of this email

“I am so tired of hearing ‘UNC’ and other derogatory comments from our ‘loyal’ (ACC) partners. … I would find this ‘holier than thou’ attitude a little less likely in the SEC.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...bout-acc-when.html#.UlgWCVDksxE#storylink=cpy

Reaction Score
This article reinforces my perception of much that is wrong with America today. So many people in executive positions are nothing more than confidence men. PR rules. Hard facts take a back seat. if you can spin it, you can win it. If you prefer to roll up your sleeves and do something real, you waste your time.

Read this: Martina Ballen, the Chief Financial Officer of the UNC athletic department, emailed the link to Cunningham and UNC’s associate athletic directors. She included a short note: “Wow! Big $$$ if this is accurate.”

I suggest that the CFO is not doing her job if she is totally unaware of conference revenue at other institutions. "If this is accurate...??"

And then there's Cunningham who receives an email from someone that read the "outkickthecoverage.com blog" and he says, their "market analysis was accurate." I read the article. There was nothing there but superficial claims.

Unreal.

These people making half a million bucks are putting up a good front. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Reaction Score
This article reinforces my perception of much that is wrong with America today. So many people in executive positions are nothing more than confidence men. PR rules. Hard facts take a back seat. if you can spin it, you can win it. If you prefer to roll up your sleeves and do something real, you waste your time.

Read this: Martina Ballen, the Chief Financial Officer of the UNC athletic department, emailed the link to Cunningham and UNC’s associate athletic directors. She included a short note: “Wow! Big $ if this is accurate.”

I suggest that the CFO is not doing her job if she is totally unaware of conference revenue at other institutions. "If this is accurate...??"

And then there's Cunningham who receives an email from someone that read the "outkickthecoverage.com blog" and he says, their "market analysis was accurate." I read the article. There was nothing there but superficial claims.

Unreal.

These people making half a million bucks are putting up a good front. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Very well stated.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Depressing to think that bloggers are now more empowered to throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. Certainly worked, at least to a small extent, to get attention of "those that matter."

To that end, UConn needs to find an army of pro-UConn bloggers...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
So Virginia's partner (we know the B1G was in talks with them and UNC appeared to be clueless) must have been us? Who else would have it been?

Maybe that's why we didn't lobby hard to replace Maryland. Maybe we thought we had this B1G invite lined up.

God - i keep going in circles on this. Regardless of what was or what we think might have happened, we're cked for a very long time.

Reaction Score
FSU was certainly smarter...they had similar concerns but did not leave such a trail. You will not find emails. Florida has stringent public information laws and FSU has learned how to work around them.

They did hire analysts, hire an outside consultant, and receive information that indicated that the ACC was best in the long haul. You won't find documentation of conversations with other conferences.

When the clandestine work needs to take place, the private non profit side of FSU (not subject to Sunshine law) goes to work.

Reaction Score
FSU was certainly smarter...they had similar concerns but did not leave such a trail. You will not find emails. Florida has stringent public information laws and FSU has learned how to work around them.

They did hire analysts, hire an outside consultant, and receive information that indicated that the ACC was best in the long haul. You won't find documentation of conversations with other conferences.

When the clandestine work needs to take place, the private non profit side of FSU (not subject to Sunshine law) goes to work.

The ACC was best when compared to the only other option which was the Big 12. As the article says, it never made sense for FSU to make a conference change & pay exit fees for a couple extra dollars.

Now if the SEC or B1G had called with real offers FSU would have been gone before the call ended

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Read this: Martina Ballen, the Chief Financial Officer of the UNC athletic department, emailed the link to Cunningham and UNC’s associate athletic directors. She included a short note: “Wow! Big $ if this is accurate.”

Unreal.

Peter principal.

Regarding the article, it supports the long suspected belief that ACC was within a hairsbreadth of collapse.

Reaction Score
The ACC was best when compared to the only other option which was the Big 12. As the article says, it never made sense for FSU to make a conference change & pay exit fees for a couple extra dollars.

Now if the SEC or B1G had called with real offers FSU would have been gone before the call ended

Naw...only the SEC had any resonance for the Noles...playing in a midwestern-northeastern league was no option. The boosters wanted no part of it....

FSU is a southern school...it would be like saying Michigan wanted to play in the SEC....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Unreal.

Academics who double as state employees? I'm shocked.

Reaction Score
Academics who double as state employees? I'm shocked.

Martina Ballen is not an academic. She previously worked in banking and had an MBA. She's one of yours.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Martina Ballen is not an academic. She previously worked in banking and had an MBA. She's one of yours.

When we send them to work for state governments... That's a pretty strong indicator....

Reaction Score
When we send them to work for state governments... That's a pretty strong indicator....

Academia doesn't distinguish between private and state institutions. It matters very little.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Academia doesn't distinguish between private and state institutions. It matters very little.

I was talking about the type of person who moves from the private sector to state government in any capacity.

Reaction Score
I was talking about the type of person who moves from the private sector to state government in any capacity.

So was I...

It happens a lot in academia. And the reasons why don't accord with your paradigm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So was I...

It happens a lot in academia. And the reasons why don't accord with your paradigm.

In a thread that helps prove just how clueless many in higher ed are... That it's a private sector washout is hardly surprising.

Reaction Score
In a thread that helps prove just how clueless many in higher ed are... That it's a private sector washout is hardly surprising.

Yeah, the guy that just developed 3d computer chip, and gave it away for free. What a washout. Accomplished 100000x whatever you ever dreamed of accomplishing, but he's a washout, and you're not. Nothing good ever came out of public school!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, the guy that just developed 3d computer chip, and gave it away for free. What a washout. Accomplished 100000x whatever you ever dreamed of accomplishing, but he's a washout, and you're not. Nothing good ever came out of public school!

Yes genius I'm saying that nothing good ever came out of a public school.

That's some solid reading comprehension you are displaying there.

Reaction Score
Yes genius I'm saying that nothing good ever came out of a public school.

That's some solid reading comprehension you are displaying there.

That is what you're saying. You're saying that a move from private to public means you're a washout.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is what you're saying. You're saying that a move from private to public means you're a washout.

A good amount of the time yes, but obviously nothing is always true. I was also referring to administrators and not researchers but you were kind enough to rewrite my point as usual.

Remember you posted a great example starting this thread.

Reaction Score
A good amount of the time yes, but obviously nothing is always true. I was also referring to administrators and not researchers but you were kind enough to rewrite my point as usual.

Remember you posted a great example starting this thread.

You wrote "academics."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#