A paradigm shift? | The Boneyard

A paradigm shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was fumbling for this expression when replying to a previous post with a link to an article fron SB Nation- I had been noticing, for the past few weeks, an awareness in the general public of UCONN women's basketball and Brianna Stewart, and a heightened level of respect for what they are doing. Now this article in which the author positively gushes about UCONN. Could it be that the Stars have finally aligned and Geno and this team and women's basketball are finally getting their due?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What ancient figure had a slave ride behind him in his chariot telling him he was fallible?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think your right. and I think there are a few reasons:

1. Chemistry - We haven't seen this type of chemistry at Uconn since 2002 with the last really great class with multiple star players. Sue said of that year that she and her classmates could have played with their eyes closed they were so in tune with each other. Moriah, Morgan, and Breanna are playing that way this year and it is noticeably better than it was last year.

2, History - the three seniors are playing for something that has never been done before in college basketball - men's or women's - 4 NCs. It is going to be a national story whether they succeed or fail. There was the same upsurge of both positive and negative when Maya and co were approaching and passing the holy grail of streaks - 88. There was a little less when Geno tied Wooden (coaching achievements have fewer storylines than teams with lots of players) and you can add 'passing Wooden' to the list of stories associated with this year. You may give two hoots about horse racing but you would love to claim to have been at the track for the Belmont Stakes when Secretariate ran - same with watching this team this year.

3. Last chance syndrome - everyone recognizes that this group of three very special players have at most three games left playing together. Last chance to compare, contrast, appreciate, (or denigrate.) And people also expect that Uconn dominance will not continue into next year so might as well catch the end of the era.

I don't think the shift will last beyond this tournament. In fact should Uconn dominate and win again next year it would produce a lot of negative press I think. With a candidate for GOAT and two other great players on this years team, you can marvel at beautiful domination - should it happen next year with two or all three gone, 'Uconn is bad' or 'Why can't others compete' stories would take over.

Reaction Score
Really excellent thoughts, UcMiami: Thank you!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What ancient figure had a slave ride behind him in his chariot telling him he was fallible?
That was supposed to happen at every Roman Triumphal Procession - the person being honored with the crown of laurels had a slave whispering in his ear that he was mortal and fallible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom