A New Nickname for Stewie | The Boneyard

A New Nickname for Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewie's gangly build reminds of the inimitable Olive Oyl, Popeye's girlfriend. Like Stewie, Olive Oyl was also know for performing Popeye-like feats of strength, shock, and awe, albeit from eating spinach. Stewie on the other hand, I have read, munches throughout the day from a box of cereal (the source of her superhuman feats?). With her budding muscles, we are seeing the emergence of a new superhero(ine) in the unparalleled UCONN WBB tradition. Now all she needs is the number '00' on her jersey (like Celtic legend Robert Parrish) to match the initials of her nickname. OK, the name is longer and doesn't flow as easily as "Stewie," but it does convey her superhero status. GO OLIVE OYL!

535573_335715479818861_1177750160_n.jpg

Sorry, but I could not find a picture with her in basketball shorts and Nike shoes.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Uhhh...Don't think so.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cute post! Don't think it will catch on, but it seems harmless enough!

And welcome to the board!! Japan??? How'd you end up there as a UCONN fan?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually like Rebecca Lobo's nickname she coined for her.......GoofyWhiteMamba

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like Stewie. Like a good stew, she has a little bit of everything.

Reaction Score
Wongster wrote: "This board has had some really uncomplimentary themes lately involving team members/recruits."

So, you didn't like my suggestion of a nickname for Saniya Chong as "Chongster"???

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Welcome Fan from Japan!
Don't get discouraged - the posters seldom actually kill the new kids on the block, just maim!
And Stewie does occasionally resemble a cartoon character, but I might suggest Inspector Gadget with his extender arms.
Hope you stick around!

Reaction Score
A truly bad idea. I hope it has a short half-life.

This board has had some really uncomplimentary themes lately involving team members/recruits. Where are the admins these days?

Calling Stewie a "superhero" capable of "superhuman feats" is uncomplimentary? There is a report function here, go ahead...make my day!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This name and imagery are derogatory and insulting.
Olive Oyle is not a superhero.
Is Fan in Japan a mole? You join and your first post recommends this?
Is English your first language?
It's easy to shout make my day in a chat room.

Reaction Score
This name and imagery are derogatory and insulting.
Olive Oyle is not a superhero.
Is Fan in Japan a mole? You join and your first post recommends this?
Is English your first language?
It's easy to shout make my day in a chat room.
Fairiew, I think you need a little perspective. So far, 498 people have viewed this thread, you are one of the very few to take it negatively. OK, that's your opinion. I've seen similar posts in a humours vein without the thin-skinned reactions. And yes, it is easy to say anything in a chat room. How about your "Is English your first language?" question -- based on what?

Reaction Score
Olive Oyl a superhero? Regardless.....I think I'll stick with TBS. Easier to type. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Good grief! A little light-hearted cartoon fun and people have to attack the guy? I don't think the idea is going to catch on, but any disrespect in that post was in the eye of the beholder. And we NEED fans in Japan! Welcome aboard. Just remember that the Boneyard is not for the faint of heart nor the thin of skin! ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stewie's gangly build reminds of the inimitable Olive Oyl, Popeye's girlfriend. Like Stewie, Olive Oyl was also know for performing Popeye-like feats of strength, shock, and awe, albeit from eating spinach. Stewie on the other hand, I have read, munches throughout the day from a box of cereal (the source of her superhuman feats?). With her budding muscles, we are seeing the emergence of a new superhero(ine) in the unparalleled UCONN WBB tradition. Now all she needs is the number '00' on her jersey (like Celtic legend Robert Parrish) to match the initials of her nickname. OK, the name is longer and doesn't flow as easily as "Stewie," but it does convey her superhero status. GO OLIVE OYL!

View attachment 4237
Sorry, but I could not find a picture with her in basketball shorts and Nike shoes.
product-preview-adult-boourns-large.gif

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Fairiew, I think you need a little perspective. So far, 498 people have viewed this thread, you are one of the very few to take it negatively. OK, that's your opinion. I've seen similar posts in a humours vein without the thin-skinned reactions. And yes, it is easy to say anything in a chat room. How about your "Is English your first language?" question -- based on what?
The vast majority of the posts were negative regarding the name. Someone even called out to the administrators to take action.
Also keep in mind that 498 views does not equate to 498 people.
I misspoke by asking if English was your first language ... I was questioning if your background was from a different culture, since an Olive Oyl reference is used to insult and taunt thin girls in the US. Simply google "is calling a girl olive oyl an insult" and you'll see.

Bottom line -- I thought it was bad form to use an uncomplimentary cartoon reference that is normally used as an insult to young women as a nickname for a UConn player. I couldn't imagine how someone with U.S. cultural points of reference would do that. And when someone's second or third post ever on the board is to dare a poster who disagreed with him to report him and "make my day," I don't know how you'd expect warm and fuzzy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The vast majority of the posts were negative regarding the name. Someone even called out to the administrators to take action.
Also keep in mind that 498 views does not equate to 498 people.
I misspoke by asking if English was your first language ... I was questioning if your background was from a different culture, since an Olive Oyl reference is used to insult and taunt thin girls in the US. Simply google "is calling a girl olive oyl an insult" and you'll see.

Bottom line -- I thought it was bad form to use an uncomplimentary cartoon reference that is normally used as an insult to young women as a nickname for a UConn player. I couldn't imagine how someone with U.S. cultural points of reference would do that. And when someone's second or third post ever on the board is to dare a poster who disagreed with him to report him and "make my day," I don't know how you'd expect warm and fuzzy.
Couldn't disagree more. Instead of launching an attack at the OP, how about asking serious questions? You didn't - you just hurled insults. Someone called for the admins to take action? Give me a break. Someone needs to get a sense of humor then.

There was nothing in his comments that indicated that he was insulting Stewie. He referred to Oyl performing feats of strength, awe, and and shock like Stewie. I think he couldn't have been more clear that he was attempting a compliment to Stewie. He went on and on about how great he thinks she is (superhero etc). In fact, his entire post talked about how great he thinks Stewie is.

Apparently because you and a few others have hugely negative views of Olive Oyl, and negative connotations of her, you attacked the OP. Very bad form especially if you took the time to read his entire post, and especially towards a brand new poster.

I could totally respect your posts if you at least acknowledged the OP had nothing but praise for Stewie, but explained why you thought Olive Oyl was not a good comparison. Instead you ignored all his compliments on Stewie and criticized him for his post, then berated him for saying "make my day". What on earth were you so upset about? Certainly not his original glowing praise of Stewie...

It takes a lot of guts for many of the lurkers to come out of the woodwork and attempt to make posts. Your behavior towards him was wrong. Just my $.02...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle