A Great Hire by Dawn Staley... | The Boneyard

A Great Hire by Dawn Staley...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
South Carolina hired away Maryland's Director of Basketball Performance Katie Fowler (=strength and conditioning coach). It was surprising to read that Staley and the other assistant coaches shared those duties, with nobody akin to Amanda Kimball on staff to perform that specific job. In light of Stewie's comments after the 87-62 Gampel rout that the Huskies were able to take advantage of the SC bigs' fatigue and run on them more and more as the game wore on, this seems like a move for the Gamecocks which could reap huge dividends.
UConn's incredible fitness, in large part attributable to Amanda Kimball's great work, has not gone unnoticed by the competition.

Reaction Score
South Carolina women's basketball has had a strength and conditioning coach for a number of years, i.e. Jon Vaden. However they had to share him with volleyball, which is a fall sport. Now apparently they will have someone in that position who they don't have to share. This may not be much of a change one way or the other.

From this year's women's basketball media guide:

Strength & Conditioning Coach Jon Vaden, 8th Season at South Carolina (Virginia Tech, 2005). Jon Vaden became an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Gamecocks in July 2007 after spending the previous two years as a graduate assistant. He is responsible for the design and implementation of strength and conditioning programs for women’s basketball and volleyball.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2013-14/misc_non_event/13-wbk-mg-sec-2.pdf

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It will be interesting if she is dedicated to Women's Basketball, i.e. a new exclusive position. I believe Rutgers historically has had strength and conditioning folks work more than one sport in most cases; historically, (asst) SID's were shared positions as well.

I think UConn and Rutgers fans, among others, are spoiled by having particularly well conditioned athletes. Vivian's requirements to be met before playing are well known and some fans thought they were too strict for athletes today.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It will be interesting if she is dedicated to Women's Basketball, i.e. a new exclusive position. I believe Rutgers historically has had strength and conditioning folks work more than one sport in most cases; historically, (asst) SID's were shared positions as well.

I think UConn and Rutgers fans, among others, are spoiled by having particularly well conditioned athletes. Vivian's requirements to be met before playing are well known and some fans thought they were too strict for athletes today.

Fowler will work solely with Women's basketball at SC. Necessary position to add if SC is serious about playing with the big dogs (Which Staley is dead set on doing judging by our OOC schedule). I like the addition.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

@KnightBridgeAZ How long do think CViv is going to coach?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
@KnightBridgeAZ How long do think CViv is going to coach?
2 to 4 years max. To the lower side if either RU has a terrible season or the administration finds a bargain quality HC candidate. To the higher side if RU builds on current success and if recruits are as good as expected.

I wouldn't guarantee past this season, but I think so. I actually think either 2 or 4 are most likely scenarios.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Great for the game.....
Agreed, UConn and Notre Dame ran them ragged. In the beginning of the ND game it was just a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom