A few thoughts | The Boneyard

A few thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, while the general pessimism on this board is understandable given the discouraging final ten minutes, I think we all need to realize Maryland is a good team, probably headed for the tournament, that is going to beat some good, maybe even great teams this season. Add that to the fact that it was an extremely Maryland friendly environment, and if you had told me this morning we were going to win by one, it would have sounded pretty good to me.

As for the game itself, there was a lot of evidence to suggest this team might live up to, or even exceed, expectations. There were also a few things that really concerned me. As a disclaimer, I haven't watched the replay of this game, and my live time observations are often intensified because of the emotional investment I have in every possession. So take my insight for what it is worth.

I don't want to come off as reactionary, because Maryland at some point was going to make a run and at least give UConn fans reason to sweat. But it would be an understatement to say I was disappointed with the way they unraveled down the stretch. For a veteran-laden team with as much big game experienced as they've accumulated, the lack of composure demonstrated in the final ten minutes - particularly from those we never would have expected it from - is not something I envisioned in this years team. It could be simply an isolated incident rather than the marking of a trend, but when you're up 17 with 10 minutes left, we should not be holding our breath on the final possessions of the game. We abandoned any semblance of offensive fluidity, the communication on both sides of the floor was noticeably absent, and as a whole the team seemed dis-discombobulated and out of sync.

Defensively, there are a lot of improvements that need to be made. Obviously, the officials have made it a point of emphasis to eliminate hand checking from the game. In that regard, it shouldn't come as a surprise that UConn was whistled for 22 fouls that resulted in 21 Maryland points. What I was more concerned with was the amount of open three pointers we yielded, particularly to players that are going to make you pay for it. Granted, it's the first game of the season, and defensive rotations, more than I think any other facet of the game, are generally fundamental imperfections that the suddenness of early season basketball exposes. But UConn returns five starters, so I expected the rotations, recoveries, close-outs, and discipline to be a bit further along in the developmental process.

All that being said, you can't blow a 17 point lead unless you first acquire one, and it was more than a bit exciting to discover the relative ease with which UConn made a pretty good team look quite bad. And really, that's my biggest fear with the way that game ended; I don't want a crappy final 10 minutes to obscure what was otherwise a fairly dominant performance by a team with an overwhelming supply of weaponry offensively. The way UConn was able to align their offense at times tonight - with Boatright and Napier toying with defenders off the dribble, capable deep range shooters repeatedly finding themselves all alone, and our big men frequently roaming unsupervised underneath the basket - was on par structurally with the 2011-12 Missouri team I compared this squad to the other day. Think about it, this team had 67 freaking points at the 12 minute mark in the second half, and it probably could have been more. It's been a long, long time since I've seen a UConn offense capable of effortlessly lighting up the scoreboard. Our points in recent years have been excruciatingly hard to come by at times, and if tonight was any indication - which I think it may have only been the tipping point - this will be one of the most efficient offenses in the country as I suspected.

Brief player notes:

DD - The consensus view will likely pin Daniels's performance tonight as something of a disappointment given the off-season chatter, but I'm not overly disappointed. He took a three on one of the first possessions of the game that rimmed out, and then seemed hesitant to shoot from there, instead often opting to force the issue pursuing driving lanes that weren't really there. I liked that we tried to involve him from the post - we experienced varying degrees of success, but with the touch he's displayed around the rim, it's only a matter of time before he breaks through (probably next game). My biggest complaint is that he only recorded two rebounds. Nobody's asking him to average 9 a game like he did towards the end of the season, but it needs to be at least 6.5-7.

Boat - I can't say I was all that impressed with Boat tonight. He did display some nice court vision, and his ability to slice into the cracks of the defense - especially against the zone - and locate teammates may be his most vital attribute to this team. But he really struggled in the way of generating his own offense - he shot 4 of 12 from the field, and I'm fairly certain 3 of those were open court dunks. Down the stretch he was, IMO, surprisingly tentative, and I wonder if fatigue (37 minutes) played a role. Defensively he'll have to improve, but as others have pointed out, his defense on the final possession was nothing short of phenomenal.

Omar - He struggled to find his shot early, but emerged in the second half with a couple three's that extended the lead. He made a really nice move to the basket in the first half that I didn't see much last season - generally last year he would have barreled somebody over or dribbled it out of bounds, but on this play he demonstrated poise and seemed to have a better understanding of how to find the creases in the defense.

Giff - I agree with those suggesting Giffey should have played more than 17 minutes tonight, but I can't necessarily fault Ollie for sticking with a lineup that was performing well in the beginning of the second half. The one question regarding Giffey this season is whether he'd continue to build on his momentum from a successful summer abroad, or if he'd revert back to his three point shooting woes that have plagued him his entire career. I think he answered those questions pretty emphatically - the box score looks pretty, sure (5-6 from the field, 3-3 from deep), but what matters more to me is the way he shot them. The tentative Giffey who treated every three point attempt like it was a life-altering decision appears to be gone.

Phil - He pretty much provided what I expected. His post defense was uneven, but he took up some space out there, battled on the boards, and seemed to be at least somewhat of a threat on offense. It's a start.

Tyler - I'm not going to exonerate Tyler from all of his off-season shenanigans, but I think it's fair to say many of his alleged character flaws were blown out of proportion and not much different from those of any other 21-year-old college kid. The kid isn't a fan favorite but he has busted his a** for this program the last three years, and I couldn't be happier he was the one to hit the big shot.

Samuel - I liked what I saw. He played the best perimeter defense of all the guards, he didn't force the issue offensively, and the drive to the basket in the second half displayed poise beyond his years. Yeah, he missed the free throw late, but I don't think the average Joe understands how difficult it is to hit a free throw in a basketball game when you haven't been to the line the entire game, much less when it's in the biggest moment of the game. I recall a freshman by the name of Shabazz Napier missing a free throw that would have put the MSU game away a few years ago in Maui, so maybe this is an omen.

Kromah - He, along with Giffey and Brimah, was the story of the first half. 8 points in 13 minutes off the bench...talk about instant offense. The kid without question has the athleticism and skill set to compete at this level.

Bazz - 18 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists - once again, Shabazz was the best, most complete player on the floor. I noticed a couple other posters questioning his decision making down the stretch, and while he certainly wasn't as flawless with his decision making as we're accustomed to him being, I hesitate to place too much of the blame on his shoulders for a bang/bang call (the play he fouled out on) and a technical that was iffy at best.

Brimah - Holy s***. I have no idea how he was overlooked by so many scouts and coaches. It's not just the statistical output that astonishes me, it's the fact that his head damn near hits the rim when he goes up to dunk the ball, and my God, his timing on those weak side blocks brought back Emeka/Hasheem memories. The biggest problem for him will simply be staying on the floor. For as active and astoundingly mobile as he is, he is still a string bean and will struggle to guard bulkier forwards in the post. But against teams who don't have dependable low post options, yikes. The kid is going to be able to roam free in the paint and wreck havoc.

This team is already intervals ahead of where they were at this time last season. The ball movement is free-flowing, the team speed striking, and the defensive instincts all our guards possess are very conducive to turnovers and fast break opportunities. We can banter back and fourth about this game into the morning hours - and in fact, we are - but I'm just going to keep going back to one stat: 67 points in 28 minutes. And we're one game in. Just wait until game seventeen, when when all the offensive sets Ollie has implemented are second nature, Shabazz and Boatright have a better understanding on where their teammates prefer to receive the ball on the court, and the overall cohesiveness is at an all-time high. This team just scratched the surface tonight - and they put up 67 points in 28 minutes. This is going to be as dynamic a team UConn has seen in a long time. God, I can't wait until Monday.

Reaction Score
I'm saucy as hell, heading back on the last metro north of the night after attending the game, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. The last 10 minutes were definitely disappointing, but to read this board and see guys talking about it feels like we lost, and how disappointed they are, uh, did they watch the first 30 minutes? This squad built up a 17pt lead against a talented team in what was essentially a road game, that crowd was beyond redded out. They defenitely need to develop more of a killer instict to squash a team when they get up big, and the decision making against the press left alot to be desired from a veteran team, but holy sh_t are we potent on offense. I thought they were about even with the 09 FF squad in terms of offensive talent but this team might have the edge, we got weapons out the ass.

Reaction Score
I was surrounded by Maryland donors and they were all in agreement that UConn's got the makings of a hell of a team. I was scratching my head at some of Ollie's rotations - Giffey needs more minutes - and they seemed to be playing not to lose down the stretch, but this team can duckk with anybody. When they're on there arent going to be a lot of teams that can see them.

I think Ollies got a tough job doling out these minutes. Amidah is an absolute gamechanger though. I also thought Bazz's tech was a joke -literally everyone around me was talking about his poise and leadership.

Reaction Score
First off, while the general pessimism on this board is understandable given the discouraging final ten minutes, I think we all need to realize Maryland is a good team, probably headed for the tournament, that is going to beat some good, maybe even great teams this season. Add that to the fact that it was an extremely Maryland friendly environment, and if you had told me this morning we were going to win by one, it would have sounded pretty good to me.

As for the game itself, there was a lot of evidence to suggest this team might live up to, or even exceed, expectations. There were also a few things that really concerned me. As a disclaimer, I haven't watched the replay of this game, and my live time observations are often intensified because of the emotional investment I have in every possession. So take my insight for what it is worth.

I don't want to come off as reactionary, because Maryland at some point was going to make a run and at least give UConn fans reason to sweat. But it would be an understatement to say I was disappointed with the way they unraveled down the stretch. For a veteran-laden team with as much big game experienced as they've accumulated, the lack of composure demonstrated in the final ten minutes - particularly from those we never would have expected it from - is not something I envisioned in this years team. It could be simply an isolated incident rather than the marking of a trend, but when you're up 17 with 10 minutes left, we should not be holding our breath on the final possessions of the game. We abandoned any semblance of offensive fluidity, the communication on both sides of the floor was noticeably absent, and as a whole the team seemed dis-discombobulated and out of sync.

Defensively, there are a lot of improvements that need to be made. Obviously, the officials have made it a point of emphasis to eliminate hand checking from the game. In that regard, it shouldn't come as a surprise that UConn was whistled for 22 fouls that resulted in 21 Maryland points. What I was more concerned with was the amount of open three pointers we yielded, particularly to players that are going to make you pay for it. Granted, it's the first game of the season, and defensive rotations, more than I think any other facet of the game, are generally fundamental imperfections that the suddenness of early season basketball exposes. But UConn returns five starters, so I expected the rotations, recoveries, close-outs, and discipline to be a bit further along in the developmental process.

All that being said, you can't blow a 17 point lead unless you first acquire one, and it was more than a bit exciting to discover the relative ease with which UConn made a pretty good team look quite bad. And really, that's my biggest fear with the way that game ended; I don't want a crappy final 10 minutes to obscure what was otherwise a fairly dominant performance by a team with an overwhelming supply of weaponry offensively. The way UConn was able to align their offense at times tonight - with Boatright and Napier toying with defenders off the dribble, capable deep range shooters repeatedly finding themselves all alone, and our big men frequently roaming unsupervised underneath the basket - was on par structurally with the 2011-12 Missouri team I compared this squad to the other day. Think about it, this team had 67 freaking points at the 12 minute mark in the second half, and it probably could have been more. It's been a long, long time since I've seen a UConn offense capable of effortlessly lighting up the scoreboard. Our points in recent years have been excruciatingly hard to come by at times, and if tonight was any indication - which I think it may have only been the tipping point - this will be one of the most efficient offenses in the country as I suspected.

Brief player notes:

DD - The consensus view will likely pin Daniels's performance tonight as something of a disappointment given the off-season chatter, but I'm not overly disappointed. He took a three on one of the first possessions of the game that rimmed out, and then seemed hesitant to shoot from there, instead often opting to force the issue pursuing driving lanes that weren't really there. I liked that we tried to involve him from the post - we experienced varying degrees of success, but with the touch he's displayed around the rim, it's only a matter of time before he breaks through (probably next game). My biggest complaint is that he only recorded two rebounds. Nobody's asking him to average 9 a game like he did towards the end of the season, but it needs to be at least 6.5-7.

Boat - I can't say I was all that impressed with Boat tonight. He did display some nice court vision, and his ability to slice into the cracks of the defense - especially against the zone - and locate teammates may be his most vital attribute to this team. But he really struggled in the way of generating his own offense - he shot 4 of 12 from the field, and I'm fairly certain 3 of those were open court dunks. Down the stretch he was, IMO, surprisingly tentative, and I wonder if fatigue (37 minutes) played a role. Defensively he'll have to improve, but as others have pointed out, his defense on the final possession was nothing short of phenomenal.

Omar - He struggled to find his shot early, but emerged in the second half with a couple three's that extended the lead. He made a really nice move to the basket in the first half that I didn't see much last season - generally last year he would have barreled somebody over or dribbled it out of bounds, but on this play he demonstrated poise and seemed to have a better understanding of how to find the creases in the defense.

Giff - I agree with those suggesting Giffey should have played more than 17 minutes tonight, but I can't necessarily fault Ollie for sticking with a lineup that was performing well in the beginning of the second half. The one question regarding Giffey this season is whether he'd continue to build on his momentum from a successful summer abroad, or if he'd revert back to his three point shooting woes that have plagued him his entire career. I think he answered those questions pretty emphatically - the box score looks pretty, sure (5-6 from the field, 3-3 from deep), but what matters more to me is the way he shot them. The tentative Giffey who treated every three point attempt like it was a life-altering decision appears to be gone.

Phil - He pretty much provided what I expected. His post defense was uneven, but he took up some space out there, battled on the boards, and seemed to be at least somewhat of a threat on offense. It's a start.

Tyler - I'm not going to exonerate Tyler from all of his off-season shenanigans, but I think it's fair to say many of his alleged character flaws were blown out of proportion and not much different from those of any other 21-year-old college kid. The kid isn't a fan favorite but he has busted his a* for this program the last three years, and I couldn't be happier he was the one to hit the big shot.

Samuel - I liked what I saw. He played the best perimeter defense of all the guards, he didn't force the issue offensively, and the drive to the basket in the second half displayed poise beyond his years. Yeah, he missed the free throw late, but I don't think the average Joe understands how difficult it is to hit a free throw in a basketball game when you haven't been to the line the entire game, much less when it's in the biggest moment of the game. I recall a freshman by the name of Shabazz Napier missing a free throw that would have put the MSU game away a few years ago in Maui, so maybe this is an omen.

Kromah - He, along with Giffey and Brimah, was the story of the first half. 8 points in 13 minutes off the bench...talk about instant offense. The kid without question has the athleticism and skill set to compete at this level.

Bazz - 18 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists - once again, Shabazz was the best, most complete player on the floor. I noticed a couple other posters questioning his decision making down the stretch, and while he certainly wasn't as flawless with his decision making as we're accustomed to him being, I hesitate to place too much of the blame on his shoulders for a bang/bang call (the play he fouled out on) and a technical that was iffy at best.

Brimah - Holy s* . I have no idea how he was overlooked by so many scouts and coaches. It's not just the statistical output that astonishes me, it's the fact that his head damn near hits the rim when he goes up to dunk the ball, and my God, his timing on those weak side blocks brought back Emeka/Hasheem memories. The biggest problem for him will simply be staying on the floor. For as active and astoundingly mobile as he is, he is still a string bean and will struggle to guard bulkier forwards in the post. But against teams who don't have dependable low post options, yikes. The kid is going to be able to roam free in the paint and wreck havoc.

This team is already intervals ahead of where they were at this time last season. The ball movement is free-flowing, the team speed striking, and the defensive instincts all our guards possess are very conducive to turnovers and fast break opportunities. We can banter back and fourth about this game into the morning hours - and in fact, we are - but I'm just going to keep going back to one stat: 67 points in 28 minutes. And we're one game in. Just wait until game seventeen, when when all the offensive sets Ollie has implemented are second nature, Shabazz and Boatright have a better understanding on where their teammates prefer to receive the ball on the court, and the overall cohesiveness is at an all-time high. This team just scratched the surface tonight - and they put up 67 points in 28 minutes. This is going to be as dynamic a team UConn has seen in a long time. God, I can't wait until Monday.

Excellent post--dead on. watching the team the first 30 minutes for the most part --it was like looking at a masterpiece on the floor. I thought we did blow chances to blow this wide open a few times--and Maryland was NO slouch of a team. Giffey looked incredible--if there is any change I would make is playing Giffey 27-29 minutes and maybe slice minutes from Boatright(37 is too many) Our weakness is body-weight inside--In think everyone kind of knew this. What I did not like is exactly what you said--our perimeter D was porous at times many times Maryland was able to drive to the lane or set up wide for 3's this may be to compensate by sending players down low to help.

Only thing I would change going 4 ward

Boatright needs to have his minutes balanced to around 28-30 and Giffey moved to 28- 30. Giffey is a stabilizer He is an inside outside player who does not make mistakes

Daniels-- please dont post up so much he needs to play face in he uses that spin dribble way too much and its a TO waiting to happen.

Shabazz looks like a top 10 draft pick talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great stuff Champs. I couldn't make the game last night UNFORTUNATELY but to those who did (above) great job. Appreciate the insight.

Take it easy...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Last time I freeze my butt off at the rent instead of go to a drivable basketball game when given the choice.

Was watching the game form the tailgate, and rewatching the end right now on ESPN2. Mildly disappointed by the play the last 8 minutes, but a win is a win is a win. There are no moral victories in college basketball, only victories and losses.

Bazz - very good game, but Bazz can never, ever, ever foul out in a game like this. Bazz is good enough to play extended periods where he is effective defensively and not pick up fouls. Every great PG learns that. KEA could play a half with 3 fouls and not pick up his fourth.

Daniels - 3 blocks were nice, but still a lot of defensive breakdowns

Boatright - too many minutes, and too much selfish play. Don't get me wrong, it is OK for the 2 guard to be a little selfish, but Boat has to recognize a little better when he has the shot and when he doesn't. Still gambles too much on defense.

Giffey - Should have played 25-30 minutes. Great on both ends.

Brimah - Exactly what we need from a freshman center.

Nolan - time to take the training wheels off. This effort would have been fine last year, but he is the starting 5 now and needs to play like a starter.

Calhoun, Kromah, Samuels - solid performance by all 3

Olander - I like Olander off the bench.

Reaction Score
Excellent post, Champs. Thanks,

This could've been a blowout win by an incredibly confident UConn team over a good, albeit flawed Terps team.

Over-confidence seem to be our only weakness in this game, and it wasn't limited to our players. KO's substitution pattern, while understandable at this time of year, also seemed to have an air of over-confidence.

However, if that's our biggest weakness, I'm quite happy. It gave us an experience in a close game, and maybe taught us a lesson.

Reaction Score
Champs, good post. I too feel NG deserves to play more. I think Ollie froze on not putting him back in. T.O. played his ass off. Bazz needs to be smarter and not get a silly tech when his team in moving forward. It totally changed the momentum of the game. This team is going to be a tough out in the tourney. Our guards will give many teams nightmares and Brimah is only going to get better and that is not good news for our opponents.

Reaction Score
I finally got around to watching the whole game this morning - I only saw the last 12 or so minutes last night, which is why I wasn't all that happy. I have a few additional thoughts to add to the OP's great post, which may have slipped under the radar:

1. The defense was better than the 77 points they allowed would lead you to believe. UConn looks like they'll run more than they have in about a decade, which means more shot attempts for both teams ... which naturally means more points on the board.

2. The 11 points on offense in the last 11ish minutes don't bother me. Letting up 27 in that same time period does. When it comes down to winning time, you need to be able lock up your opponent, with or without Shabazz on the floor. Last night was not a good example of that, but I'm glad we're talking about this Game 1 and not Game 31 (hopefully).

3. Nolan didn't do much in the 2nd half, but his energy early was valuable. Played nice defense, boxed out and hit the offensive glass - that's exactly what UConn needs from him when he's on the floor. Between Nolan, Brimah, Olander and possibly Facey, I think UConn could be competent on the glass, which is all they need to be.

5. UConn's ability to put up points in spurts reminded me of watching Louisville last season. That 14-point outburst in the last 3:52 of the 1st half - spearheaded by Brimah - was a thing of beauty, as was the 10-o run that stretched the lead to 17. I absolutely love the pace this team plays at, and they have the depth to do it all game. (Of course, Louisville also wore teams down all game, to the point they couldn't even get shots off down the stretch. UConn has a lot to work on in that regard.)

6. I'm a fan of the new rules, but it's gonna be a rough adjustment period. The refs in college bball aren't good enough to apply the new rules correctly, so I think it'll take them longer than the players to adjust. (

7. Tough to fault Shabazz too much for fouling out when 3 of the 5 fouls called against him (including that T) were awful. If anyone ever deserved a punch in the throat from Fishy, it's that ref who called that T. Brutal. In any event, Shabazz needs to never get in foul trouble again, because the offense goes to complete without him in there.

8. Like any young coach, Ollie has some things to work on. Not having Niels in there when it came time to make free throws was questionable to say the least.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see the game but for the last 10 minutes at the Rent on an Ipad with blurry image. Thanks for the all the posts. As someone said above, I'll never miss another bball game for football again. Can't wait til monday's game.

Reaction Score
Takeaways: Super athletic, good length and/or speed at all positions.
Sloppy transition D.

Reaction Score
Just read Brimah has a 7'6 wingspan wow. Kid plays with faried like energy, and his bench behavior is fantastic. Is there any reason he isn't our starter ?

Reaction Score
6. I'm a fan of the new rules, but it's gonna be a rough adjustment period. The refs in college bball aren't good enough to apply the new rules correctly, so I think it'll take them longer than the players to adjust. (

7. Tough to fault Shabazz too much for fouling out when 3 of the 5 fouls called against him (including that T) were awful. If anyone ever deserved a punch in the throat from Fishy, it's that ref who called that T. Brutal. In any event, Shabazz needs to never get in foul trouble again, because the offense goes to complete without him in there.

8. Like any young coach, Ollie has some things to work on. Not having Niels in there when it came time to make free throws was questionable to say the least.

i agree with these points in particular.

From this article, this is what happened:

-The lead ballooned to 17 midway through the second half, but Napier was whistled for a technical foul after yelling, according to him, “That’s what I do!” Napier could laugh about it afterward, still unsure why the referees deemed his proclamation offensive, but the foul seemed to swing momentum toward the Terrapins.

:confused:

Reaction Score
We need to rename some set play to "That's what I do!"

Reaction Score

Is Shabazz similar to Jameer Nelson? I'm trying to go back to a player of similar size who could shoot from outside and ran the offense well who also has had a good NBA career. Can't think of many others than Nelson.

Reaction Score
Is Shabazz similar to Jameer Nelson? I'm trying to go back to a player of similar size who could shoot from outside and ran the offense well who also has had a good NBA career. Can't think of many others than Nelson.
There games aren't that similar. Jameer was extremely quick in college and was really good at attacking the rim. He never developed into a consistent 3-point shooter until late in his career.

Shabazz, on the other hand, has always been a finesse player. His mid-range and 3-point games are well ahead of Jameer's in college, and he does a much better job running the point. Most of Nelson's assists came off him attacking the paint, then finding the open man after the help defense commits to him. Shabazz just does a really good job running the offense.

He's a very unique player, which is what makes finding a comp for him tough, but the Sam Cassell comparison that I think aceboon made is probably the best I've seen. Shabazz is obviously a good amount smaller, but he's similar as far as his scoring (really good mid- and long-range shooter, with slightly quirky form) and distributing is concerned.

Reaction Score
Just read Brimah has a 7'6 wingspan wow. Kid plays with faried like energy, and his bench behavior is fantastic. Is there any reason he isn't our starter ?

Can't take advantage of that stellar bench behavior if he's in the game!

Reaction Score
i agree with these points in particular.

From this article, this is what happened:

-The lead ballooned to 17 midway through the second half, but Napier was whistled for a technical foul after yelling, according to him, “That’s what I do!” Napier could laugh about it afterward, still unsure why the referees deemed his proclamation offensive, but the foul seemed to swing momentum toward the Terrapins.

:confused:

, really? That was it? That's not showing up an opponent, getting in anyone's face, or inspiring malice.

What's next? A technical for throwing up "3 goggles"? Excessive chest bumping? Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Notes from the box score.
10 different players scored in a game against a worthy opponent.
Its going to be very competative for playing time.
We outrebounded a team with a pretty good frontcourt.
Our skinny guys did okay.,
The foul shot discrepency was obscene.
It was actually a road win
I think Bob Knight use to say a 1 point win on the road is a blowout.

Reaction Score
A win is a win........of all the things to take out of that game last night, positive thoughts were king. I mean the depth is huge and will be if they continue to call games like that all year (although it was a little lopsided I thought)........they have very valuable pieces 10 deep and not many can say that.

They pushed the ball tremendously, actually down the Terps throats at times which was great to see. The defense was better than the numbers, the guards and Kromah/Giffey are ball hawks in the man and will drive teams nuts. The offensive weapons on the perimeter are ridiculous and something we haven't had in a long time, a few guys can throw it in and break down the opponents defense. Love what I saw for 32 minutes but while we out rebounded the Terps, we need more rebounds from the interior. Can't get 32 minutes from DD and 9 and 2........and while Phil played well and had great energy he needs to move his feet a little more and push some people around. But besides those things and the fact didn't ice the game with FT's I loved so much of what I saw. I believe this team will be a matchup nightmare as the season progresses. Lots of answers can't wait until they find their chemistry.

Oh yeah I do believe, despite the fact they still took a 17 point lead, we needed to see more of Giffey and ride his hot hand. They could have played smaller against that team because their bigs do roam out to the periimieter a lot so in turn I felt we need to see more of Niels and Kromah too - our defense gets tighter with them as well!!

Loved the little block party by Brimah at the end of the first half, he's going to be special!! And Terrence is tough, plays excellent defense and really looked like he belongs out there...........

Gonna be a fun year!:D

Reaction Score
I thought it was a very good highly competitive first game between two equally matched opponents. What I was most impressed about besides the 52% UConn shooting was that UConn out rebounded a team that was 5th nationally last year. We also held them to only 11 offensive rebounds. And Brimah at the end, got the most important rebound of all. Anyone can nit-pick but this was a tremendous win against a very good team!

Reaction Score
Last time I freeze my butt off at the rent instead of go to a drivable basketball game when given the choice.

Was watching the game form the tailgate, and rewatching the end right now on ESPN2. Mildly disappointed by the play the last 8 minutes, but a win is a win is a win. There are no moral victories in college basketball, only victories and losses.

Bazz - very good game, but Bazz can never, ever, ever foul out in a game like this. Bazz is good enough to play extended periods where he is effective defensively and not pick up fouls. Every great PG learns that. KEA could play a half with 3 fouls and not pick up his fourth.

Daniels - 3 blocks were nice, but still a lot of defensive breakdowns

Boatright - too many minutes, and too much selfish play. Don't get me wrong, it is OK for the 2 guard to be a little selfish, but Boat has to recognize a little better when he has the shot and when he doesn't. Still gambles too much on defense.

Giffey - Should have played 25-30 minutes. Great on both ends.

Brimah - Exactly what we need from a freshman center.

Nolan - time to take the training wheels off. This effort would have been fine last year, but he is the starting 5 now and needs to play like a starter.

Calhoun, Kromah, Samuels - solid performance by all 3

Olander - I like Olander off the bench.
Agree with most, but was really disappointed with DD and Boat. If either one thinks they are headed to the league, they are sadly mistaken based on last night. Even Boat's pre-season musing that he needs to stop picking up his dribble too early was ignored when it came down to crunch time. DD was almost non-existent. Honestly can't remember a period where he took over, like he made a habit of at the end of last year. Without Giffey they would have lost. The refs and new rules sucked. Seemed very one-sided in the post. We also seemed to have a hard time controlling the ball early... very sloppy. Don't know if it was the ball, the floor, the lighting, or nerves. Just glad it was a W.

Reaction Score
Agree with most, but was really disappointed with DD and Boat. If either one thinks they are headed to the league, they are sadly mistaken based on last night. Even Boat's pre-season musing that he needs to stop picking up his dribble too early was ignored when it came down to crunch time. DD was almost non-existent. Honestly can't remember a period where he took over, like he made a habit of at the end of last year. Without Giffey they would have lost. The refs and new rules sucked. Seemed very one-sided in the post. We also seemed to have a hard time controlling the ball early... very sloppy. Don't know if it was the ball, the floor, the lighting, or nerves. Just glad it was a W.

I agree and although this was one game and small sampling there's lots of work to do for these guys - good news is we should have them both back next year and that's fine with me!

Reaction Score
Excellent post--dead on. watching the team the first 30 minutes for the most part --it was like looking at a masterpiece on the floor. I thought we did blow chances to blow this wide open a few times--and Maryland was NO slouch of a team. Giffey looked incredible--if there is any change I would make is playing Giffey 27-29 minutes and maybe slice minutes from Boatright(37 is too many) Our weakness is body-weight inside--In think everyone kind of knew this. What I did not like is exactly what you said--our perimeter D was porous at times many times Maryland was able to drive to the lane or set up wide for 3's this may be to compensate by sending players down low to help.

Only thing I would change going 4 ward

Boatright needs to have his minutes balanced to around 28-30 and Giffey moved to 28- 30. Giffey is a stabilizer He is an inside outside player who does not make mistakes

Daniels-- please dont post up so much he needs to play face in he uses that spin dribble way too much and its a TO waiting to happen.

I would like to see Shabazz totally eliminate those couple of times a game where for the entire shot clock he's the only one who touches the ball. Also "that 's what I do best" is not necessary. He is a senior. The entire country know what he does best. Just shut up and play. The maturity level that shows up when you just play and don't talk will get you into the top level of the draft!

Reaction Score
I would like to see Shabazz totally eliminate those couple of times a game where for the entire shot clock he's the only one who touches the ball. Also "that 's what I do best" is not necessary. He is a senior. The entire country know what he does best. Just shut up and play. The maturity level that shows up when you just play and don't talk will get you into the top level of the draft!
Another nit wit heard from. Shabazz had a great game, he was the best player on the floor and the T by the Ref was totally uncalled for. Other than that your comment was dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom