A Few Thoughts From Last Night | The Boneyard

A Few Thoughts From Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At this point of the year analysis is for losers. You survive and advance or you don't. We did. Having said that, and having spent a life with many viewing me as a loser anyway, here goes.

1. From where I sat, the UConn crowd was disappointing. Yes, you can tell when someone wears orange in a way that you can't tell where they wear blue, and maybe where I sat (behind the ISU and MSU block tickets) effected my perception, but I thought there were almost as many UVA fans there as UConn fans, and they were a little louder and more into the game than we were. Again, maybe on TV, or from other parts of the building, it appeared different but I was disappointed in our effort as a fanbase. And given the opportunity to show Big Ten and ACC reps how if they want to play hoops in NYC they need our help, it struck me as a somewhat lost opportunity.

2. Very nice game by the heroes in blue. We can beat anyone where (i) we make shots, and (ii) DD plays like an All American. Unfortunately, we have not been able to count on either of those happening game to game all year long, and this team isn't like other champions we've had where they have proven they can scratch out some big wins when things aren't going that well. But, that having been said, if we play our best three more games, and with Louisville out, there is no one left whom we won't have a good shot at.

3. I don't think I've ever seen a freshman go from someone who only gets in as an act of charity to the level of performance we are now seeing seemingly overnight the way Terrence Samuel has. I remember the shocking performance that Toraino Walker gave out of nowhere in the Big East tourney against Georgetown, but that wasn't followed with the steady, consistent play that we've gotten from Samuel. On both ends of the court. Including amazing foul shooting and the look in his eyes that the guy guarding him last night could not keep him from getting to the rack.

4. I've been saying for months that we could make the Final Four if Daniels plays like the All American he showed he could be last year. Last night I thought he took over (and I think the points Hogue scored were based more on a gameplan to let him beat you and help out on their stars). Daniels will have to be great if we're going to be able to score enough against MSU for us to win. But he is capable of doing it.

5. Don't understand why KO turned off the D and wanted to hold on simply by shooting foul shots. I've never seen a team give up as many straight layups as early in the shotclock as consistently as we did the last few minutes. Don't know why Brimah wasn't in on D, with the clock stopping all the time. Don't know why we were so afraid of fouling we didn't guard anyone. But didn't like the passivity. That having been said, until that moment we played a very solid game in all aspects. Might ISU have been a much tougher challenge without the injury? Absolutely. Having said that, breaks are a huge part of the tournament and no shame in capitalizing on the ones we got. We've just beaten a #2 seed and a #3 seed consecutively with relatively little sweat.

6. Michigan State will be the toughest test we've had in the Tourney. Having said that, Appling is clearly hurt, and not looking anything like the player he was, and without him their point guard play is iffy. Payne is a monster, but he went huge stretches of the game without touching the ball. For reasons that wasn't clear. If both teams play their best they are probably better, but if we can keep from being destroyed inside I think this is a very winnable game.

Enough for now. Have a good day all. I'm going on seat geek and figuring out if I'm heading back in tomorrow (having gotten in at 3:10 last night and having the alarm go off at 7:30 because my wife had a meeting. UGH. But still worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From where I sat, the UConn crowd was disappointing. Yes, you can tell when someone wears orange in a way that you can't tell where they wear blue, and maybe where I sat (behind the ISU and MSU block tickets) effected my perception, but I thought there were almost as many UVA fans there as UConn fans, and they were a little louder and more into the game than we were. Again, maybe on TV, or from other parts of the building, it appeared different but I was disappointed in our effort as a fanbase. And given the opportunity to show Big Ten and ACC reps how if they want to play hoops in NYC they need our help, it struck me as a somewhat lost opportunity.

I wasn't sitting far from you (I think?) and I agree with this 100%. Tons of UConn fans all over the place but nothing really brought our crowd together.

Reaction Score
Crowd was fine on TV.........

Not sure I would consider a lost opportunity. Perception from Media (and narrative) was that it was a heavy UCONN crowd and w/. tickets selling at huge $....all other conferences need to know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thank you for giving me hope about our chances tomorrow. I had three offers to attend last night and had to pass because of an unfortunate confluence of events, but I am able to attend tomorrow and now I am terrified because I feel like I am walking into certain death. I wish I could follow my own "happy to have made it this far" mantra because we've exceeded my expectations for this team, but in a way I hate Sweet Sixteen wins because they are so fleeting unless you win the game two days later. I feel sick. We are doomed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Crowd was fine on TV....

Not sure I would consider a lost opportunity. Perception from Media (and narrative) was that it was a heavy UCONN crowd and w/. tickets selling at huge $....all other conferences need to know.
Exactly. Perception is reality. The perception on TV and in the media is that we owned the place, with heavy UVa representation as well.

Reaction Score
Perception from Media (and narrative) was that it was a heavy UCONN crowd and w/ tickets selling at huge $....all other conferences need to know.

Lucky for UConn, the media didn't give any credit to UVA fans for contributing to the high ticket prices.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
At this point of the year analysis is for losers. You survive and advance or you don't. We did. Having said that, and having spent a life with many viewing me as a loser anyway, here goes.

1. From where I sat, the UConn crowd was disappointing. Yes, you can tell when someone wears orange in a way that you can't tell where they wear blue, and maybe where I sat (behind the ISU and MSU block tickets) effected my perception, but I thought there were almost as many UVA fans there as UConn fans, and they were a little louder and more into the game than we were. Again, maybe on TV, or from other parts of the building, it appeared different but I was disappointed in our effort as a fanbase. And given the opportunity to show Big Ten and ACC reps how if they want to play hoops in NYC they need our help, it struck me as a somewhat lost opportunity.

2. Very nice game by the heroes in blue. We can beat anyone where (i) we make shots, and (ii) DD plays like an All American. Unfortunately, we have not been able to count on either of those happening game to game all year long, and this team isn't like other champions we've had where they have proven they can scratch out some big wins when things aren't going that well. But, that having been said, if we play our best three more games, and with Louisville out, there is no one left whom we won't have a good shot at.

3. I don't think I've ever seen a freshman go from someone who only gets in as an act of charity to the level of performance we are now seeing seemingly overnight the way Terrence Samuel has. I remember the shocking performance that Toraino Walker gave out of nowhere in the Big East tourney against Georgetown, but that wasn't followed with the steady, consistent play that we've gotten from Samuel. On both ends of the court. Including amazing foul shooting and the look in his eyes that the guy guarding him last night could not keep him from getting to the rack.

4. I've been saying for months that we could make the Final Four if Daniels plays like the All American he showed he could be last year. Last night I thought he took over (and I think the points Hogue scored were based more on a gameplan to let him beat you and help out on their stars). Daniels will have to be great if we're going to be able to score enough against MSU for us to win. But he is capable of doing it.

5. Don't understand why KO turned off the D and wanted to hold on simply by shooting foul shots. I've never seen a team give up as many straight layups as early in the shotclock as consistently as we did the last few minutes. Don't know why Brimah wasn't in on D, with the clock stopping all the time. Don't know why we were so afraid of fouling we didn't guard anyone. But didn't like the passivity. That having been said, until that moment we played a very solid game in all aspects. Might ISU have been a much tougher challenge without the injury? Absolutely. Having said that, breaks are a huge part of the tournament and no shame in capitalizing on the ones we got. We've just beaten a #2 seed and a #3 seed consecutively with relatively little sweat.

6. Michigan State will be the toughest test we've had in the Tourney. Having said that, Appling is clearly hurt, and not looking anything like the player he was, and without him their point guard play is iffy. Payne is a monster, but he went huge stretches of the game without touching the ball. For reasons that wasn't clear. If both teams play their best they are probably better, but if we can keep from being destroyed inside I think this is a very winnable game.

Enough for now. Have a good day all. I'm going on seat geek and figuring out if I'm heading back in tomorrow (having gotten in at 3:10 last night and having the alarm go off at 7:30 because my wife had a meeting. UGH. But still worth it.
Good read and I agree with you on most of your points

Except

1. Weather or not the crowd was loud in your section doesn't matter imo! The tv showed A LOT of UCONN fans and it was great on tv.

5. Ko didn't want us to foul and STOP the clock we had a big enough lead. Yes it got way to close for comfort! That being said, I think the end of the game D sucked but we won and at the end that's all that matters!

Reaction Score
That is because the tickets on the after market were bought by Connecticut zip codes.

There are plenty of wealthy UVA alumni in CT.

Reaction Score
Crowd was fine on TV....

Absolutely right. A lot of talk in the studio, in the pre-game discussion by Raftery, and during the game, about what a pro-UConn crowd it was, how the Garden is like our second home, etc.

Hopefully those conference execs buy that story, more than the description from on-site.

Reaction Score
Palatine, maybe I should have specified... Plenty of proud UVA fans in Greenwich, Darien, NC, etc.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
5. Don't understand why KO turned off the D and wanted to hold on simply by shooting foul shots. I've never seen a team give up as many straight layups as early in the shotclock as consistently as we did the last few minutes. Don't know why Brimah wasn't in on D, with the clock stopping all the time. Don't know why we were so afraid of fouling we didn't guard anyone. But didn't like the passivity. That having been said, until that moment we played a very solid game in all aspects.

Three things on that.

Brimah was getting taken off the bounce fairly easily. That would have only increased with their change in offensive strategy late game. Now UCONN was getting crushed off the bounce anyway, so you could counter with that. They wanted to make the game helter skelter, and it's fair to say that Brimah does not thrive in those situations.

I said this in another thread, but I don't think Ollie called off the dogs per se. It seemed UCONN's execution was a big part of the problem. I do think there was a concerted effort to guard the three, but the guys seemed to tighten up a fair bit, not as a matter of strategy. In an effort not to foul, they became tentative in less foul oriented situations, like boxing out and fighting over screens. They seemed to let guys cut off the ball without sticking tight. They did switch enough nor quickly when they did, and looked confused at times. They compounded our problems with silly gambles like Niels going for that steal in the back court.

Finally, ISU is phenomenal at staying in games. They did this all year to all sorts of teams. It wasn't just us. They can score a ton of points in a very short amount of time. Have to give them credit for that.

C

Chief00

Overall good post. When you have neutrals with tickets and then split the 4 team allotments it never will be as overwhelming as some would like. But, I expect Sunday that it will be.
The easy pass layups drive me crazy but I do understand win and move on. Our foul shooting is a great strength and when you have a lead with a couple minutes left that can become what the game gets determined on. If we are behind even by a few points; then the other fundamentals of the game come into play. Ollie, overall has done a tremendous job coaching a team that does have vulnerabilities that it seems only the best opposing coaches exploit.
ISU started to exploit our weaknesses but by then it was too late; given our foul shooting ability.
Back to MSG tomorrow and mark my word, the crowd will be extreme!

Reaction Score
Palatine, maybe I should have specified... Plenty of proud UVA fans in Greenwich, Darien, NC, etc.
Hey, I live in DC have a company in Virginia. Lots of Huskies fans down here as well. Maybe they are buying all the tickets credited to UVA. Works both ways.

Reaction Score
Very true, Palatine. Regardless, I'm thrilled our fan base is getting media attention for spending big $ to follow our team.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
[quote="

[/quote]
Coach Ollie didn't turn "off the D". The Mayor made some adjustments and as I pointed out on chat, Ia St spread the floor and we played to deny the three, then they got away with repeatedly setting illegal screens to block off the second defender and allow the driver to get to the hoop without a contest. It was usually Ejim, who had a big strength advantage on our defender and basically used his butt and arms and boxed our second defender out of the way. Boxing out like that is only legal when a shot is taken, not when someone is driving. However, it is not usually called by officials, at least at the NCAA level. It is move that we are particularly susceptible to because our bigs are so weak and skinny. However, the team held tough and won out regardless. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
For all the talk about Duke playing in Raleigh, UVA fans took the place over last week and were very loud in that Memphis game. They are having their best season in 20 years and NYC is not that far away not to mention they have a lot of NYC alumni.

I'm not surprised at all they had a large vocal crowd.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Bazz hitting 4 straight 3s didn't get the crowd into it? I was at the bar with my jaw on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom