A Few Quick Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Few Quick Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I am wrong, I can live with the new BE. I actually think it will be very good and the BE will once again rise from the dead. If we go on with this current plan, I think we will all be laughing about our panic in a couple years. Houston, SMU and UCF are going to explode in the BE. My biggest fear is that we don't rise to the occasion. PP better recruit his ass off because I think these southern schoools are about to make a splash that most people just don't seem to fathom.

I think these schools will be a reality check for those who think they won't compete at a BCS level. If we end up trading a conference with Pitt, Cuse, and WVU for one with Boise, Houston, SMU, and BYU the level of football is actually going to be improved greatly.

Reaction Score
Hoophound.... I can't live with the new BE, I think in the long run we would be better off going independent in that case, but I do share your hopes and predictions with respect to the ACC. It would be a nice Christmas present.

Reaction Score
The BE tried to play hardball with ESPN by rejecting their extension offer. My understanding is the current football TV deal expires in 2013. The conference members all voted to wait and test the market. We all know what happened next.

I'm sure the BE lawyers are trying to figure out the best approach to move on. First order of business is getting rid of WVU, Syracuse and Pitt for the most money. Then the new BE should try to build some interest and get a few scalps before trying to get a new TV deal. Nobody really knows what it is yet or what it's worth.

They should get a good deal considering their are a number of interested parties, Fox, NBC/Comcast and ESPN.

Reaction Score
The BE tried to play hardball with ESPN by rejecting their extension offer. ............ We all know what happened next.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. Our last attempt at hubris resulted in a public spanking. Still, we have a few here who get themselves up off the ground, pull up their pants, tuck in their shirts, and start chest thumping all over again. Admirable gumption, but the best policy at this point is to re-form the new conference, keep our mouths shut, have "discussions" with Fox and Comcast through non-parties to the ESPN contract, and leave the open negotiations for next year. That's not far away. ESPN is not afraid to sue or be sued. We have a lot more to lose in good will than ESPN has to worry about.

Reaction Score
Why do this publicly? Old saying: When you see trouble walking down the street, don't go out to meet it. Boise State, Houston, virtually anyone not now in the Big East can float proposals with anyone they want without coming close to violating any contracts. In our position, why burn bridges with anyone?

Not sure I understand. I'm not asking Providence to publicly call and negotiate with Comcast -- just to do it.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand. I'm not asking Providence to publicly call and negotiate with Comcast -- just to do it.
OK. I'm just saying you don't need to poke a stick in ESPN's eye. If you can accomplish the same result in two different ways, one involving risk, one not, which way to do you advise? We are always under a duty not to undertake unnecessary risk.

Reaction Score
Boise St would be crazy to not join this conference for football. Basically, the new BE will take the remaining BE schools plus the best of CUSA and the MWC and forming a conference with an automatic BCS bid and a championship game. The MWC/CUSA merger is better than this?
Actually, I think this applies to any non-BCS school that is approached. You've got a BCS bid going in. and for lots of reasons probably will keep it going out, so why would you not take a chance? Further the odds are that no matter what happens, you'll keep it for at least a few years. For Boise, once you have it, you aren't losing it.

Reaction Score
Agree with 1 and 2. ND is going to sit back and see how all this unfolds and delay the decision.

On 3, the contract is going to open again with ESPN. The huge Big East membership change opens up the deal up. Contrary to what has been reported, ESPN has a right of first negotiation, not even refusal. It is the same in every one of their conference deals. The first place the New New Big East should go is ESPN anyway. Exposure for the conference would fall off the map if it goes elsewhere. Yes, NBC will be better with its renewed commitment to Versus (changing to NBC Sports Channel). But the fact is the New New Big East will need as much exposure as possible. If ESPN offers a good deal great, and if not, move on to NBC and Fox. In the mean time, the Big East can get a feel for what they would be worth to others. Lastly, it does no good for the Big East to poke ESPN anyway. What entity is probably going to buy the rights to the BCS games after the 2013 season? Probably ESPN. And that winning bidder is going to have a lot to say about the AQ.

Reaction Score
Can Boise State (or any potential additions) build in safeguards such that if BE membership changes further before they officially join the conference, they can reevaluate their commitments?

The Big East has never properly lawyered up the conference. Do you recall from the 2003 Newark airport meeting minutes (post 2003 raid), that one of the items of business was CREATING a not for profit entity that is the league? AFTER 26 YEARS ????

And then you look at the mess that is the exit scenario. I would love to see th by-laws - they probably got them from Legal Zoom. One thing we know about the guys in Providence - they are cheap when it comes to hiring lawyers. That's why they've been schooled repeatedly these many years.

Reaction Score
As appealing as ND is, I doubt any of the remaining BCS conference will allow an all but football deal.
1. They can look no further than the BE as what it can do to a conference.
2. The other conferences are the wiser when ND pulls the "we'll play 3-4 teams in the new conference" crap. As soon as they make that part of the agreement (in writing) ND will back out.
3. The other conferences are more stable than the BE and actually have the upper hand. They can hold their ground and if ND says the love the new BE, the other conferences can put the final dagger in the BE which will force ND to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom