a few more details on NBC offer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

a few more details on NBC offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter except for money;

Here's all the BE has to sell
Tier I content to CBS: 1 Navy game and 1 UConn Women's game.
Tier II Content to ESPN2: 1 game a week from October 15th to March 10th. End of season matchups of football leaders and the Conference game. One good women's top 25 head-to-head matchup. One weekly men's basketball head-to-head natchup between top 25 teams OOC and in conference.
Tier III Regional: 99% of BE games

Why are the women involved? This is for men's basketball and football. UConn makes money off selling the women's rights on its own.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, so if ESPN matches then the NBC contract is the new BE/ESPN contract but the NBC contract doesn't cover all that many many games. Since this is the right to match is already executed does that mean that NBC could now buy the rest of our games? It's genius. Clearly NBC and Aresco low balled to make it too good to refuse. The "real" offer will be when they buy the rest of the contract.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It sounds to me like a straight right of first refusal.

They wouldn't get away with throwing something idiotic in there like "ten games must be on an NBC network" in hopes of precluding ESPN from matching.

First, the Big East wouldn't gain anything from those sort of shenanigans and second, the initial contract wasn't written by monkeys...I'm sure it lays out a level playing field.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Must I point out that Aresco is like a one man wrecking crew? He wants to back the Big 12's move for a championship game with 10 teams to bring stability to expansion (and guarantee himself a job)? Maybe he could openly politic for FSU to stay in the ACC forever and vote to sanction the BiG if they ever expand again.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
I remember the time Bill Parcells put a poison pill in Curtis Martin's contract that made it impossible for the Patriots to sign him. The NFL had to ban such contracts.

That's actually not correct - there was famously a poison pill put in a RFA offer to Steve Hutchinson by the Vikings when he was an RFA of the Seahawks. It said if he was not the highest paid lineman on his team, that his entire contract became fully guaranteed - making it not signable by the Seahawks because of Walter Jones. Later, the Seahawks did the exact same thing in reverse for Nate Burleson - with a contract saying that if he played a season in which 5 of the games were in the state of Minnesota his contract was fully guaranteed. This obviously worked out far more for the Vikings than Seahawks.

I'm 99% certain they were never made illegal, though there was discussion to do so amongst the league and PA.

Source that partially backs up my claim:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html

Poison pills are a completely legal and acceptable way to acquire tendered players in the NFL. An arbitrator ruled so in a grievance the Seahawks filed in 2006 after the Minnesota Vikings snuck a fast one past Seattle to secure All-Pro left guardSteve Hutchinson. The Seahawks quickly returned the favor by inserting their own poison pill to stealNate Burlesonfrom the Vikings. Yet amazingly, even though two players of that caliber were acquired in such a manner, there has not been another poison pill acquisition.

Read More:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html#ixzz2L7iOLTSt

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
the Big East will also close a deal which could include, CBS, TBS and Fox as well, which will bring in additional revenue.

Seems Aresco would have been quick to point out that NBC was one of several moving parts. He did so earlier but failed to communicate that revenue potential the last two weeks.

Reaction Score
That's actually not correct - there was famously a poison pill put in a RFA offer to Steve Hutchinson by the Vikings when he was an RFA of the Seahawks. It said if he was not the highest paid lineman on his team, that his entire contract became fully guaranteed - making it not signable by the Seahawks because of Walter Jones. Later, the Seahawks did the exact same thing in reverse for Nate Burleson - with a contract saying that if he played a season in which 5 of the games were in the state of Minnesota his contract was fully guaranteed. This obviously worked out far more for the Vikings than Seahawks.

I'm 99% certain they were never made illegal, though there was discussion to do so amongst the league and PA.

Source that partially backs up my claim:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html

In terms of what I'm arguing, poison pills show effectively that matching an offer requires the matcher to take on the entire terms of the contract, not just the money.

But, indeed, some poison pill contracts are banned by the NFL.

"That was what I call borderline attorney ... you know, ambulance-chaser, attorney kind of stuff," he said. "It was something where they took advantage. ... It was not the intent of the deal. It was clever lawyer stuff. It's not in the spirit of what the whole agreement was, and that loophole was plugged."
The following year, the league banned the poison pill. Too late for the Patriots.
"That's now how we do business," Kraft said. "It was unfortunate. We probably should've found a way to get him signed before that. We didn't. It's one of our many mistakes."
By rule, the Patriots had one week to make a decision. They contacted Martin to feel him out, telling him they'd probably decline to match unless he promised to stay long term. His response: No promises, do what you have to do, according to Parker.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Must I point out that Aresco is like a one man wrecking crew? He wants to back the Big 12's move for a championship game with 10 teams to bring stability to expansion (and guarantee himself a job)? Maybe he could openly politic for FSU to stay in the ACC forever and vote to sanction the BiG if they ever expand again.

I now want him dead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

They wouldn't get away with throwing something idiotic in there like "ten games must be on an NBC network" in hopes of precluding ESPN from matching.

First, the Big East wouldn't gain anything from those sort of shenanigans and second, the initial contract wasn't written by monkeys...I'm sure it lays out a level playing field.
...and yet the contract is suspiciously light on content. It is a master stroke, I tell you a master stroke. It is tough to foresee every contingency even for those crack minds at ESPN.

typingMonkey.png
ESPN legal department drawing up the right of first refusal in the BE contract.

Reaction Score

it seems like a was from the Big East Side. first ESPN gets an exclusive windows to negotiate. now they get the right to match NBC's offer. I would rather have a better time slots on Saturdays with NBC, and take a little less money than to be relegated to wednesday nights on ESPNU.

it kills me that ESPN has provided the money for all of our former rivals to leave us in the dust financially. At this point I would rather they not even show us on their station unless it is as part of another conference.

Reaction Score

Well he is working for the Big East Conference as presently constituted. his job is not to create an environment that will result in more upheaval, thus creating a better landing spot for UConn. our best bet was for John Marinatto to remain as commissioner.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, I know jack about the media business. But, I do know that a right of first refussal (which appearantly was granted to ESPN) is a significant give away and impairs the value of the asset subject to bid. It greatly diminishes interest in the marketplace for potential third party bidders. Maybe its common in the media business, I have no idea. Or, maybe the Big East leadership at the time was as incompetent as many here stated that they were.

Reaction Score
Blaudschun's take: "ESPN can get the deal if it matches the offer–in all phases, which includes programming, time slots, promotions. etc. If NBC offers the Big East a Thursday night football slot, ESPN has to offer the same–which it won’t do. Now if the Money is hugely different, ESPN can argue that means a better offer."

He could be right, he could be wrong.
They put a hotwire to his head
Cause of the things he did and said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members