a disappointment no more | The Boneyard

a disappointment no more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well... at least not so much... I was going to call this my complaint but disappointment seemed more appropriate.

Mostly I post this because of my respect for Geno. He is a great coach. One thing that I have mentioned at times is that I was disappointed that he did not get the subs in the games fast enough. I was not thinking that he was running up the score... and I understand the need to play his starters... and that he rewards those who work hard with playing time. But I would have liked to see more of some of the other players in certain games this year.

Then came the game Monday and press conference and interviews. He talked about being nauseous. Rebecca Lobo talked about his migraines before a game. He talked after the game about not knowing what he would do if they lost and didn't meet their goal of a 4th title. Then he said during the press conference that he felt that the role of a coach was to make sure his/her players were able to reach their goals.

And I’m thinking… maybe that’s why he doesn’t substitute sooner. Maybe he just wants to make absolutely sure that nothing he does as a coach would prevent them from their goals. No matter how good they are he is still uneasy thinking about putting in the subs too soon. That makes sense to me and alleviates my disappointment in a big way. Does this make sense to others?

I don’t question his ways anyway. If anyone knows how to coach that team it is him. But it does affect my view of him – it increases my respect for him as a coach…

Go Huskies!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post!
And i agree - I don't think he has so openly shown his anxiety like he did after the TX game - it was almost too raw, the look he gave into his soul.

In most games where the margin is already out of control, I think it is more about getting work done on specific things with his starters and primary bench, and partly a reward for the practice effort they put in. 25+/- minutes is really a minimum amount of time for his starters in almost any game.
At this time of year - I think your idea of angst is probably more true.
And the last thing he ever wants to do is sit his players too early, and then force them to get back into their game head in the fourth because the bench has screwed things up.

Reaction Score
I understand wanting to see more of the bench players. Actually, the starting 5 probably play the least amount of minutes compared to other teams. Think about it. They play 40 mins and Stewie averages what 23?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I understand wanting to see more of the bench players. Actually, the starting 5 probably play the least amount of minutes compared to other teams. Think about it. They play 40 mins and Stewie averages what 23?

This got me thinking, so I decided to compare the average minutes played by starters of the four #1 seeded teams - UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Baylor. What I found, frankly, surprised me.

We all have this notion that CT plays its' starters fewer minutes than is typical - however, with regard to these 4 teams, the distribution of starter playing time is very similar.

ND - 26.4 minutes
CT - 27.4
SCar - 27.5 minutes
Baylor - 27.6

Couple of provisos - there is a small margin of error here, because as I wrote down the numbers, I rounded to the nearest minute ( i.e., a player averaging 30.3 minutes per game became 30, one averaging 26.8 became 27).
Second, Baylor has one starter who averages 15 minutes per game, which skews things for the other 4, who average 30.8.

And, this is a ridiculously small sample of teams who have a disproportionate number of games in which they significantly "out-talent" and overwhelm their opponent. Still, just goes to show that UConn isn't the only powerful team where their starters, and stars, don't play a ton of minutes.

Reaction Score
I would prefer, in these last two games, not to see much of certain bench players unless absolutely necessary. Every time Butler comes in I get the jitters..

Edited to add: IF we make it to the final game and IF Syracuse is our opponent I'd be more than thrilled to see him run up the score big time. :cool:

Reaction Score
In the NCAA tournament, he plays to WIN. There is no experimentation or lineup shuffles. There is no teaching. He spent all year to look at everyone and the 7 that he trusts will be the ones playing. Unless there is a super blowout (In the Finals against Louisville a couple of years ago), those 7 are the ones. He starts again from scratch next year and then, tournament time, there will be only 7.

Reaction Score
Why?
Because every single time she catches the ball down low she feels the need to dribble it instead of going up strong to the hoop! How many times during that dribble has she either fumbled it or had it stolen? She's a work in progress similar to Wolters was and now is not the time for that work to take place. Just my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the standard was as you state; " he rewards those who work hard with playing time" then every UCONN player would play in every game because @ UCONN working hard is really a minimum standard. The higher standard IMO on which playing time is based on the ability to impact the game in a positive way. Specifically, you have to be able to defend you position, understand your role in the offense and take and make open shots. This UCONN standard does not change regardless of the score or the level of competition. What that literally means is that UCONN has some terrific players but depending on the game certain players simply will not play because in Geo's judgment they cannot positively impact the game=Geno's Trust. To me what most important thing about Geno's Trust is not playing time but that his players understand & know this standard.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why get jittery? By the time the subs come in the game has been decided.

Reaction Score
Late in the 3rd quarter of the Miss. St. game, Dave O'Brien made the point that to bench starters as soon as it becomes obvious that UConn has an insurmountable lead would be a disservice to them.

But, as an armchair fan, I wish Geno would be slightly more generous with playing time for "second tier" players.

What I really think might be interesting is to see these players getting similar amounts of minutes but in different contexts. Earlier, more time with more of the starters, etc.

For example : in the 2nd quarter of MSU Stewie already had a double-double with more than 6 minutes to play before the half and UConn was ridiculously far ahead. Perfect time to give Natalie a couple of minutes.

Reaction Score
I would prefer, in these last two games, not to see much of certain bench players unless absolutely necessary. Every time Butler comes in I get the jitters..

Edited to add: IF we make it to the final game and IF Syracuse is our opponent I'd be more than thrilled to see him run up the score big time. :cool:

I am very petty and found that it's very difficult for me to root for Syracuse. Coach Q may be a great coach but as a human being I found him wanting. I agree, nothing would please me more than running up the score but I doubt that Geno will do this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This got me thinking, so I decided to compare the average minutes played by starters of the four #1 seeded teams - UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Baylor. What I found, frankly, surprised me.

We all have this notion that CT plays its' starters fewer minutes than is typical - however, with regard to these 4 teams, the distribution of starter playing time is very similar.

ND - 26.4 minutes
CT - 27.4
SCar - 27.5 minutes
Baylor - 27.6

Couple of provisos - there is a small margin of error here, because as I wrote down the numbers, I rounded to the nearest minute ( i.e., a player averaging 30.3 minutes per game became 30, one averaging 26.8 became 27).
Second, Baylor has one starter who averages 15 minutes per game, which skews things for the other 4, who average 30.8.

And, this is a ridiculously small sample of teams who have a disproportionate number of games in which they significantly "out-talent" and overwhelm their opponent. Still, just goes to show that UConn isn't the only powerful team where their starters, and stars, don't play a ton of minutes.
Pinot - really interesting and somewhat surprising analysis which got me thinking about what it measures to look at the five starters.
Lou, I assume you used as the fifth starter - but she being a freshman and starting only about two thirds of the games gives an somewhat misleading MPG number.
Baylor has a post rotation of two freshman and a vet who are fairly evenly splitting the post minutes which I assume represents the 15 MPG player.
etc.
So ... I decided to take a look at the same four teams but selecting only the top three veteran starters who remained healthy for most of the year:

SC - 28.0 (Coates 26.6, Wilson 26.9, Mitchell 30.5)
UC - 29.0 (Nurse 27.9, Stewart 28.7, Jefferson 30.5)
ND - 29.3 (Turner 27, Allen 29.9, Cable 30.9)
BY - 32.1 (Jones 30.3, Davis 32.2, Johnson 33.7)

Interesting to note that SC is the only triumvirate that includes two post players - the others are two guards and a forward/post - and the big guys do generally need more rest. And Davis and Stewart are more wing/forwards while Turner is more forward/center. Three of the teams have senior point guards with Allen being a junior but SC's Sessions doesn't make their top three, as she is the least 'established' of the starting point guards.

Reaction Score
Because every single time she catches the ball down low she feels the need to dribble it instead of going up strong to the hoop! How many times during that dribble has she either fumbled it or had it stolen? She's a work in progress similar to Wolters was and now is not the time for that work to take place. Just my opinion.
I hope to see Butler in these last two games. It will be great experience for her, and if she is in, it means that UConn has the game won.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Late in the 3rd quarter of the Miss. St. game, Dave O'Brien made the point that to bench starters as soon as it becomes obvious that UConn has an insurmountable lead would be a disservice to them.

But, as an armchair fan, I wish Geno would be slightly more generous with playing time for "second tier" players.

What I really think might be interesting is to see these players getting similar amounts of minutes but in different contexts. Earlier, more time with more of the starters, etc.

For example : in the 2nd quarter of MSU Stewie already had a double-double with more than 6 minutes to play before the half and UConn was ridiculously far ahead. Perfect time to give Natalie a couple of minutes.
Problem with that at this time of the year is that he really doesn't want to mess with the starters flow - he would much rather pull them all and give them all a breather than have great chemistry be messed up by 'experimental' line-ups. Not happening at this time of year.

Reaction Score
Bill Belichick did/does the same thing, and risk of injury in the NFL is massively higher than in WCBB. I think the motivation is to give his starters as much game time experience as possible. There's a limit to improvement playing against those against whom one practices, since you know them and they know you so well. I think Lou had the most minutes played the second half of the season; he takes her out last, or not at all.. The reason is obvious.

Reaction Score
Problem with that at this time of the year is that he really doesn't want to mess with the starters flow - he would much rather pull them all and give them all a breather than have great chemistry be messed up by 'experimental' line-ups. Not happening at this time of year.
I don't think in that kind of slaughter (which I admit enjoying) there's much risk of the chemistry being upset. At this point in the season the "first seven" have seen a lot, overcome a lot. And at this point in their careers - in this kind of game- the starters (led by the seniors) would rev it back up pretty easily after Morgan, Stewey, or KLS had been gone for a couple minutes. And the up-side for Butler might be significant.

I know, Geno knows best. In Geno we trust. Geno knows what he's doing. But in a turkey shoot like Saturday...

Reaction Score
One thing that I have mentioned at times is that I was disappointed that he did not get the subs in the games fast enough.

Besides what others have said, other considerations are: The average fan come to games to see the starters. Geno always has the fans in mind and will cater to them when it doesn't jeopardize the game. The fans would not be happy if the stars were pulled early in the game.

Also, the starters want to play. To pull them because they built up a big lead early would not sit well (literally) with the starters.

I think Geno does a great job satisfying everyone in his use of the bench. He has the crown amped up and staying until the final buzzer to see if Pulido and Lawlor will do something great. Remember Heather Buck's steal and score against Louisville - priceless.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member