A different take on division structure within conferences | The Boneyard

A different take on division structure within conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is a different take on a possible move to the ACC, SEC, B1G, or ??? and one that might be attractive to those who are resistant to our possible entrance: We recommend to the powers-that-be that, yes, we set up two divisions but instead of a North-South or East-West format we create an upper division and lower division. For example, we suggest to the ACC (if we can) that the upper division (UD) could consist of

Fl State, Ga Tech, Pitt, Va Tech, Miami, BC (ugh), Md, and ND (if they join)

And the lower division (LD) could be Clemson, Duke, UNC, NC State, VA, WF, Syracuse, and UConn.

The season would consist of each team playing each other team in its division (7 games), 3 games against the other division, and 2 out of conference games.

Then, similar to English soccer leagues (I think), the worst team in the UD moves down to the LD and the best team in the LD takes its place in the UD.

As can be seen, teams in the UD would have killer schedules but one that I think would be attractive (financially as well as competitively) to powerhouse teams such as ND. Teams in the LD would also have the incentive to move up to the UD.

I think this structure would appeal to the different conferences. In the other sports, you can restructure the divisions as needed.

Of course, it could be too sensible for the commissioners.:)

Reaction Score
With one loss virtually assuring no shot at a national championship in football I can't imagine a lot of support for this type of conference setup.

Reaction Score
Nobody, sans maybe Duke, would ever care to resign themselves to the "JV" division.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Clemson is:
Currently undefeated, and will be ranked in the top 10 when the polls come out today.
Had the biggest stadium and best fanbase in the ACC.
Has a National Championship within the past 30 years.

And they are in your "lower division"

As absurd this premise is, it has gotten even whackier.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Clemson is a sleeper in the North. Nate Silver ranked them 10th in fanbase--far ahead of the rest of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Here is a different take on a possible move to the ACC, SEC, B1G, or ??? and one that might be attractive to those who are resistant to our possible entrance: We recommend to the powers-that-be that, yes, we set up two divisions but instead of a North-South or East-West format we create an upper division and lower division. For example, we suggest to the ACC (if we can) that the upper division (UD) could consist of

And the lower division (LD) could be Clemson, Duke, UNC, NC State, VA, WF, Syracuse, and UConn.

The season would consist of each team playing each other team in its division (7 games), 3 games against the other division, and 2 out of conference games.

Then, similar to English soccer leagues (I think), the worst team in the UD moves down to the LD and the best team in the LD takes its place in the UD.

As can be seen, teams in the UD would have killer schedules but one that I think would be attractive (financially as well as competitively) to powerhouse teams such as ND. Teams in the LD would also have the incentive to move up to the UD.

I think this structure would appeal to the different conferences. In the other sports, you can restructure the divisions as needed.

Sorry but college sports is not like professional soccer in England. Schools lose players every year to graduation and the draft. Most schools go through periods of up years and down years. This would be a logical setup for a league of professionals that could maintain its roster for several years in a row. That is not possible in college athletics today.

Reaction Score
Clemson is:
Currently undefeated, and will be ranked in the top 10 when the polls come out today.
Had the biggest stadium and best fanbase in the ACC.
Has a National Championship within the past 30 years.

And they are in your "lower division"

As absurd this premise is, it has gotten even whackier.
That was my bad. I realized my mistake after I posted. Don't be too harsh.

Reaction Score

Yes, being in the "B" league wouldn't adversely effect money or attendance or recruiting. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom