A Crazy 'Outside the Box' idea to save the Big East Football Conference (long) | The Boneyard

A Crazy 'Outside the Box' idea to save the Big East Football Conference (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
As I was sitting on the John today (where I do most of my best thinking:)) I had a very crazy and 'outside the box' way for the Big East to save their BCS AQ bid and remain a legitimate football conference.

I know this is stupid and there are probably a million reason why this would never work...but give me a second to explain and then you can rip apart the idea!;)

You form a 16 team football conference with 4 divisions as follows:

Northern Division
Notre Dame
UConn
Rutgers
Army

Atlantic Division
WVU
Cincinnati
Navy
Temple

Southern Division
Houston
SMU
USF
UCF

Mountain Division
BYU
Air Force
Boise St
Memphis

There would only be 4 conference games within a year. You would play the other three teams in your division once. All of these games would be played within the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season. Then on the last 'regular season' weekend of the year you would matchup divisions to play against each other based on division ranking. So the 'Cross Divsion Weekend' would be :

Northern #1 vs Atlantic #1
Northern #2 vs Atlantic #2
Northern #3 vs Atlantic #3
Northern #4 vs Atlantic #4
Southern #1 vs Mountain #1
Southern #2 vs Mountain #2
Southern #3 vs Mountain #3
Southern #4 vs Mountain #4

You would rotate each year which division gets the home game for this weekend. So in odd numbered years the Northern and Southern Division teams get the home games and in the even numbered years the Atantic and Mountain Division teams get the home games. This will allow for the teams to make sure the game is scheduled in advance and all the fans have tickets as part of their season ticket package (ticket is for 'Cross Division Weekend' game with exact team TBD). And as I said earlier, you would play all of the division games within the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season so that the visiting teams and their fans can find out where they are playing and schedule and coordinate all of their travel.

Then, the winner of the two #1 Division matchups would play in the Conference Championship game when the rest of the conferences hold their championship games (which we will be able to do since we will have over the minimum of 12 teams to hold a Championship Game). For every team other than those 2 winners, the regular season is over and there are no games (just like every other conference that holds a championship game).

This would essentially setup a semi-final championship game, but it wouldn't be against NCAA conference rules because everyone is playing that weekend it isn't a "one-off" game.

While only having 4 conference games is not ideal, it is what might entice Notre Dame to join the conference for football. The reason Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference is because they want to keep their NBC TV money and they want to keep their scheduling flexibility to keep their traditional rivals...and joining a conference with 8 or 9 conference games will not allow this to happen. But if they only have to commit to 4 conference games...they will still have the other 8 games during the season to schedule their historic rivals (Michigan, USC, Purdue, Michigan St, etc). And they would get to keep their NBC deal for all of those non-conference games.

And this commitment of only 4 conference games would allow the other independents to join as well. BYU would still get their TV deal like Notre Dame, so they would be willing. Army could still schedule their cupcake schedule for their other 8 games to get bowl eligibile, etc. It addresses the concerns of the independents who are hesitant to join.

In addition to addressing all of the above mentioned issues, it would also minimize travel for the the teams and the athletes. Despite having such a huge national footprint, each of the divisions is setup pretty well geographically so the travel would not be bad at all (with Memphis as the lone exception, but the would be desperate enough to get a BCS chance and upgrade and there are no other 'Mountain' team geographically to include)!

Not only would this save the Big East Football Conference and the AQ status...but I think we could get a very big TV deal from NBC/Comcast for the rights to this league. You would have a lot of huge TV markets and a lot of very interesting games and matchups throughout the year. Plus, the build up for the 'Cross Divsion Weekend' could be made-for-TV drama and would add to the excitement. There a lot of high quality teams with national following in this 16 team league that spans huge markets and 3 time zones. I think that TV would love this setup.

We would probably have to take in SMU, Houston, Temple, and UCF as all sports teams (as is already the plan for 3 of the 4). The rest of the teams would have no problem being football only members.

While not an ideal solution....it is just a thought I had as a way to get Notre Dame to help the Big East Football Conference and to get all of the best current 'non-BCS teams' to join forces. I know having 8 non-conference games would be a challenge and there are other issues....but it may be better than the alternative at this point. And I do think that this would be very attractive for NBC/Comcast or another network in terms of content and media markets.

So I know it is unconventional and very 'outside the box'....but what do you think? Could it work? What am I not thinking of that would make this impossible?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You are right... this was long. :D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good Lord. When I'm on the pot it takes all my concentration and effort just to remember to wipe front to back.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. When I'm on the pot it takes all my concentration and effort just to remember to wipe front to back.

Um....uh...not to change the threads topic....front to back?

Might you be female? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Reaction Score
Um....uh...not to change the threads topic....front to back?

Might you be female? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
I'm glad I'm not the only who thought that was a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
As I was sitting on the John today (where I do most of my best thinking:)) I had a very crazy and 'outside the box' way for the Big East to save their BCS AQ bid and remain a legitimate football conference.

I know this is stupid and there are probably a million reason why this would never work...but give me a second to explain and then you can rip apart the idea!;)

Northern Division
Notre Dame
UConn
Rutgers
Army

Atlantic Division
WVU
Cincinnati
Navy
Temple

Southern Division
Houston
SMU
USF
UCF

Mountain Division
BYU
Air Force
Boise St
Memphis

There would only be 4 conference games within a year. You would play the other three teams in your division once. All of these games would be played within the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season. Then on the last 'regular season' weekend of the year you would matchup divisions to play against each other based on division ranking. So the 'Cross Divsion Weekend' would be :

You would rotate each year which division gets the home game for this weekend. So in odd numbered years the Northern and Southern Division teams get the home games and in the even numbered years the Atantic and Mountain Division teams get the home games. This will allow for the teams to make sure the game is scheduled in advance and all the fans have tickets as part of their season ticket package (ticket is for 'Cross Division Weekend' game with exact team TBD). And as I said earlier, you would play all of the division games within the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season so that the visiting teams and their fans can find out where they are playing and schedule and coordinate all of their travel.

Then, the winner of the two #1 Division matchups would play in the Conference Championship game when the rest of the conferences hold their championship games (which we will be able to do since we will have over the minimum of 12 teams to hold a Championship Game). For every team other than those 2 winners, the regular season is over and there are no games (just like every other conference that holds a championship game).

This would essentially setup a semi-final championship game, but it wouldn't be against NCAA conference rules because everyone is playing that weekend it isn't a "one-off" game.

While only having 4 conference games is not ideal, it is what might entice Notre Dame to join the conference for football. The reason Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference is because they want to keep their NBC TV money and they want to keep their scheduling flexibility to keep their traditional rivals...and joining a conference with 8 or 9 conference games will not allow this to happen. But if they only have to commit to 4 conference games...they will still have the other 8 games during the season to schedule their historic rivals (Michigan, USC, Purdue, Michigan St, etc). And they would get to keep their NBC deal for all of those non-conference games.

And this commitment of only 4 conference games would allow the other independents to join as well. BYU would still get their TV deal like Notre Dame, so they would be willing. Army could still schedule their cupcake schedule for their other 8 games to get bowl eligibile, etc. It addresses the concerns of the independents who are hesitant to join.

In addition to addressing all of the above mentioned issues, it would also minimize travel for the the teams and the athletes. Despite having such a huge national footprint, each of the divisions is setup pretty well geographically so the travel would not be bad at all (with Memphis as the lone exception, but the would be desperate enough to get a BCS chance and upgrade and there are no other 'Mountain' team geographically to include)!

Not only would this save the Big East Football Conference and the AQ status...but I think we could get a very big TV deal from NBC/Comcast for the rights to this league. You would have a lot of huge TV markets and a lot of very interesting games and matchups throughout the year. Plus, the build up for the 'Cross Divsion Weekend' could be made-for-TV drama and would add to the excitement. There a lot of high quality teams with national following in this 16 team league that spans huge markets and 3 time zones. I think that TV would love this setup.

We would probably have to take in SMU, Houston, Temple, and UCF as all sports teams (as is already the plan for 3 of the 4). The rest of the teams would have no problem being football only members.

While not an ideal solution....it is just a thought I had as a way to get Notre Dame to help the Big East Football Conference and to get all of the best current 'non-BCS teams' to join forces. I know having 8 non-conference games would be a challenge and there are other issues....but it may be better than the alternative at this point. And I do think that this would be very attractive for NBC/Comcast or another network in terms of content and media markets.

So I know it is unconventional and very 'outside the box'....but what do you think? Could it work? What am I not thinking of that would make this impossible?
Considering the angst that Big East football fans have been put through lately, any reason why you capitalized "John"?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hmm...given that these schools are far less appealing and prestigious than those in the ACC or B1G, and are geographically distributed such that travel costs (and time) will be terrible, why on earth would ND join this league? If I'm UConn and in this league, I jump to the ACC or B1G as soon as I get the chance. ND has that opportunity NOW.

Reaction Score

Lol. He is just trying to keep his Schweddy Balls fresh. My wife encourages that practice for boys and girls.

Reaction Score
Why not think way outside the box and consider this:

Big East North- UConn, Rutgers, Temple, , Cincinnati, Navy, Army

Big East South: Vanderbilt, Memphis, USF, UCF, W. Virginia, Louisville

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Hmm...given that these schools are far less appealing and prestigious than those in the ACC or B1G, and are geographically distributed such that travel costs (and time) will be terrible, why on earth would ND join this league? If I'm UConn and in this league, I jump to the ACC or B1G as soon as I get the chance. ND has that opportunity NOW.

First...I would argue that this league could go head to head against the ACC in football strength and prestige. You are vastly overrating the ACC!

Second, in regards to your comment "are geographically distributed such that travel costs (and time) will be terrible"....did you even read the description? For every single team in that conference, it would significantly reduce the travel time and costs for their program.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Why not think way outside the box and consider this:

Big East North- UConn, Rutgers, Temple, , Cincinnati, Navy, Army

Big East South: Vanderbilt, Memphis, USF, UCF, W. Virginia, Louisville

1. Why the heck would Vanderbilt leave the SEC? There is no chance of that happening.
2. Army is not joining a full football conference. They have figured out their formula for success....play the worst schedule in America and get bowl eligible. They can't do that in a full football conference.
3. It looks like at least one of WVU or UL is gone to the B12.
4. And most importantly...that conference would more than likely lose the BCS AQ status.

Reaction Score
1. Why the heck would Vanderbilt leave the SEC? There is no chance of that happening.
2. Army is not joining a full football conference. They have figured out their formula for success....play the worst schedule in America and get bowl eligible. They can't do that in a full football conference.
3. It looks like at least one of WVU or UL is gone to the B12.
4. And most importantly...that conference would more than likely lose the BCS AQ status.

Yikes man!! With all this doom and gloom it sounds to me that you would just as soon see the Big East fold. No combination of teams is going to be good enough. UConn is not going to get invited any time soon until Coach P gets that team on the winning ways(I'm saying 2013 will be a very good year for UConn football).

Reaction Score

Northern Division
Notre Dame
UConn
Rutgers
Army

Atlantic Division
WVU
Cincinnati
Navy
Temple

Southern Division
Houston
SMU
USF
UCF

Mountain Division
BYU
Air Force
Boise St
Memphis

there goes five minutes of my life that ill never get back....

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Other than ND being in there, it is not that crazy.

You don't think Notre Dame would be interested in this arrangement if their only other option was to join a conference (B1G or ACC) as a full memeber with a full conference schedule? I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
Me too. I immediately wondered if I had been doing it wrong all these years.

Reaction Score
You don't think Notre Dame would be interested in this arrangement if their only other option was to join a conference (B1G or ACC) as a full memeber with a full conference schedule? I am not so sure.

Nope

Reaction Score

What is in it for ND?

They can already stay with the Big East remnants for Olympic sports.

ND already gets BCS money and will continue to get it through this contract at least.

ND already has a clear path to the BCS and does not need this.

What are they getting out of this other than having to play UConn, Rutgers and Army every year? And having to play two extra games for a slot to BCS? The BCS might go for it because it narrows down all the non-ACC, BIG 12, Pac12, SEC BIg Ten BCS potential slots that are out there down to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom