A conversation with Aresco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A conversation with Aresco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My comment was that the American doesn't dominate Thursday and Friday night ratings. I didn't say they should - I am just pointing out with actual quantifiable evidence that statement is not true.

Beyond that you are ranting and raving about arguments that I didn't make nor imply.

You're pointing that out to be difficult and poke holes in the argument that Aresco can expect an increase in the value of the TV contract based on eyeballs currently watching AAC football.

And, also, the original poster wrote the following that The American is dominating eyes with Thursday and Friday night football. Mentioned nothing about ratings numbers. Look at the breakdown of the number of games conferences have representatives playing in on ESPN or ESPN 2 on Thursday and Friday nights this season:

AAC: 5
ACC: 5
PAC 12: 3
MWC: 3
Big 12: 2
SEC: 1
B1G: 1
Indy: 1

So you taking pot shots at him for being wrong about his assessment is actually pretty off base itself considering the American is tied with the ACC for most games on ESPN or ESPN 2 on Thursday or Friday evenings. In terms of exposure and actual time on the TV sets, yes, The American is winning the battle for eyeballs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're pointing that out to be difficult and poke holes in the argument that Aresco can expect an increase in the value of the TV contract based on eyeballs currently watching AAC football.

And, also, the original poster wrote the following that The American is dominating eyes with Thursday and Friday night football. Mentioned nothing about ratings numbers. Look at the breakdown of the number of games conferences have representatives playing in on ESPN or ESPN 2 on Thursday and Friday nights this season:

AAC: 5
ACC: 5
PAC 12: 3
MWC: 3
Big 12: 2
SEC: 1
B1G: 1
Indy: 1

So you taking pot shots at him for being wrong about his assessment is actually pretty off base itself considering the American is tied with the ACC for most games on ESPN or ESPN 2 on Thursday or Friday evenings. In terms of exposure and actual time on the TV sets, yes, The American is winning the battle for eyeballs.

So you've picked an invented fight with me and part of that fight is that 'eyeballs' means something different than ratings. Are you going to argue they are losing later in the year when there are fewer AAC games on Thursday and Friday and those numbers change?

Since you are making my arguments for me - no I wouldn't expect the next contract to be any different. The only way the price goes up is if demand exists from other networks and just like last time that isn't going to exist.

Reaction Score
So you've picked an invented fight with me and part of that fight is that 'eyeballs' means something different than ratings. Are you going to argue they are losing later in the year when there are fewer AAC games on Thursday and Friday and those numbers change?

Since you are making my arguments for me - no I wouldn't expect the next contract to be any different. The only way the price goes up is if demand exists from other networks and just like last time that isn't going to exist.

You're the one who got into it with me because I didn't see what you were referencing initially. I actually agreed with your sentiment that there is no new deal Aresco can negotiate that would feasibly close the gap.

Also, I looked at the schedule down the line, the numbers don't change that drastically and depending on what games ESPN flexes over Thanksgiving the American may still end up on top.

My point is that things aren't as dire for The American as people think, you can't compare them to FSU numbers because there are few teams in the country that can actually command that audience in any conference.

Have a nice weekend. Let's go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Agree. When Miami was in the Big East, the Orange Bowl was tied to the Big East Champion (for obvious reasons). Once Miami left, the O.B. wanted out of that arrangement, changed its affiliation to the ACC & agreed to BCS stipulations of rotation. The Big East was left spitting into the wind as it had no "home bowl" as the other BCS conference did. Once the ACC 's 2nd raid occurred, WVU left for greener pastures, & the schism with the Catholics occurs the newly formed American wasn't considered P-5-6 worthy. The handwriting was on the wall once Miami left.

The Big East shared the Orange Bowl with the ACC Champ until 2006.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For the American? More - sure. More in the sense it closes gaps? Good luck with that.

So you don't think the American will get meaningfully more money, you don't think we are joining a P5 anytime soon, and you don't think UConn should try anything innovative to get out of this mess. In other words, you are on all sides of this issue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you don't think the American will get meaningfully more money, you don't think we are joining a P5 anytime soon, and you don't think UConn should try anything innovative to get out of this mess. In other words, you are on all sides of this issue.

You consider suicide 'innovative'. Got any other innovative winning ideas?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't you say we were dead anyway?

Nope. As you well know I think UConn is going to end up in the ACC and I don't think things softening with BC on football scheduling is a coincidence.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Aresco -- a UConn alum -- and I wish him the very best of luck in elevating the profile of this league.

I simply can't stand the league, however, and I want nothing more than to get out of it.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Aresco -- a UConn alum -- and I wish him the very best of luck in elevating the profile of this league.

I simply can't stand the league, however, and I want nothing more than to get out of it.

nothing more or less!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope. As you well know I think UConn is going to end up in the ACC and I don't think things softening with BC on football scheduling is a coincidence.

I hope you are right, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I sort of overstated it. I don't think anything happens until they need to backfill but I do think it's a pretty big deal in helping them understand UConn in the ACC would be a net positive for them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The one one angle we don't discuss is UConn having a similar deal to ND. Independence could work in football if the ACC scheduled 6 OOC games. Full membership in everything else, add lacrosse, keeps hockey in the better league.

Once they get back to an odd numbee in football for whatever reason they join.

It makes a lot of sense on both sides - especially if the ACC wants to push their network fantasy.

Already playing UVA, Cuse, BC - why not Louisville, Pitt...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The one one angle we don't discuss is UConn having a similar deal to ND. Independence could work in football if the ACC scheduled 6 OOC games. Full membership in everything else, add lacrosse, keeps hockey in the better league.

Once they get back to an odd numbee in football for whatever reason they join.

It makes a lot of sense on both sides - especially if the ACC wants to push their network fantasy.

Already playing UVA, Cuse, BC - why not Louisville, Pitt...
Remind me - how do payouts work for ND / ACC? They get a share of ACC payouts for NCAA tournament credits I assume, but nothing from football, and keep all their NBC money - is that right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remind me - how do payouts work for ND / ACC? They get a share of ACC payouts for NCAA tournament credits I assume, but nothing from football, and keep all their NBC money - is that right?

I don't know how the tournament credits work but I'd imagine they share in them from when they joined. They get like 4-6 million for their non-football sports, some bowl tie ins and they grace the league playing them OOC in football.

Yes, they keep all their NBC football money.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is an ACC basketball team so shares in tournament credits...

ACC release...

"
A: The Irish will keep all the money it makes from its independent television deal with NBC while the ACC will keep all football-related money generated by its contract with ESPN/ABC. That comes to about 80 percent of the league’s total television revenue. As an equal partner in all other sports, Notre Dame will get the same split of the rest of the money as everyone else in the league – or 1/15th of 20 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom