#9 UConn v. Butler Bulldogs @Elliot Ballpark (Friday 5/12/23 @6:05p, Saturday 5/13/23 @2:05p & Sunday 5/14/23 @Noon). All games on UConn+/Mixlr | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#9 UConn v. Butler Bulldogs @Elliot Ballpark (Friday 5/12/23 @6:05p, Saturday 5/13/23 @2:05p & Sunday 5/14/23 @Noon). All games on UConn+/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trip report
1) Good crowd think they had just sort of 1K. Win salvaged the day given the nightmare that happened over at Burrill.
2) Sears continues to be a massive enigma to me (repeat comment). Penders said it in the post-game - he has first-round stuff. Something is amiss. I'm down to the point of hoping he finds it in the postseason (BE and hopefully NCAAs). Hope isn't a strategy but... Quick hook but I think he knows when Sears doesn't have it. Doesn't waste time waiting.
3) I think Ellisen suffers the same as Cookie - hard stuff too straight
4) Kirby is showing some good signs lately and they need him so plus there.
5) Fogell obviously sensational almost perfect. Hadn't seen him much in person he has nasty stuff.
6) On the surface I didn't like the Dom bunt; however, I know Dom has a penchant for grounding into double plays. That may have factored into Penders decision. I don't have the stats but Dom does ground into DPs. If Dom does get it down they walk Huber and you have Studley up with bases loaded 1 out. BTW: Uconn (surprisingly) is not a great bunting team. They don't look comfortable doing it.
7) Thought Penders really handled the pitching staff well (timing of changes)
8) Good to see Huber back; Smart resting Smitty for the weekend. Have a capable backup. Should be targeting the Creighton series for return.
9) Great AB by Daniels to walk it off. As Penders said he shortened his swing...but I think he's done that in general in response to facing D1 pitching. His swing was much longer in high school. Good adjustment. He sort of reminds me of Smitty now. Evolving into that style of player.
10) Good win but there are obvious warning signs flashing with the starting pitching. Bullpen and defense are excellent. Last 5 starts innings pitched: 2, 2, 3.2, 6 (S. Quigs), and 2.1. Tough to get out of regional with that. You just run out of pitching.

Reaction Score
Trip report
1) Good crowd think they had just sort of 1K. Win salvaged the day given the nightmare that happened over at Burrill.
2) Sears continues to be a massive enigma to me (repeat comment). Penders said it in the post-game - he has first-round stuff. Something is amiss. I'm down to the point of hoping he finds it in the postseason (BE and hopefully NCAAs). Hope isn't a strategy but... Quick hook but I think he knows when Sears doesn't have it. Doesn't waste time waiting.
3) I think Ellisen suffers the same as Cookie - hard stuff too straight
4) Kirby is showing some good signs lately and they need him so plus there.
5) Fogell obviously sensational almost perfect. Hadn't seen him much in person he has nasty stuff.
6) On the surface I didn't like the Dom bunt; however, I know Dom has a penchant for grounding into double plays. That may have factored into Penders decision. I don't have the stats but Dom does ground into DPs. If Dom does get it down they walk Huber and you have Studley up with bases loaded 1 out. BTW: Uconn (surprisingly) is not a great bunting team. They don't look comfortable doing it.
7) Thought Penders really handled the pitching staff well (timing of changes)
8) Good to see Huber back; Smart resting Smitty for the weekend. Have a capable backup. Should be targeting the Creighton series for return.
9) Great AB by Daniels to walk it off. As Penders said he shortened his swing...but I think he's done that in general in response to facing D1 pitching. His swing was much longer in high school. Good adjustment. He sort of reminds me of Smitty now. Evolving into that style of player.
10) Good win but there are obvious warning signs flashing with the starting pitching. Bullpen and defense are excellent. Last 5 starts innings pitched: 2, 2, 3.2, 6 (S. Quigs), and 2.1. Tough to get out of regional with that. You just run out of pitching.
Given point #10, I think about the opener approach made famous by the Rays in years past. But I don’t know if that would be sustainable over the course of a tourney. At the very least, either Sears or Cookie is gonna have to figure it out. Personally I feel more confident in Cookie since I’ve seen him have “it” before in the past - for more than one start at a time, and against very good competition.

Reaction Score

Coach Penders compares Fogell to Caleb Wurster. Also a mention of Sears, when he is clicking on all cylinders he looks like a first round pick, but he hasn't looked that way his last couple of starts. Rest of the bullpen did the job.

Reaction Score
Given point #10, I think about the opener approach made famous by the Rays in years past. But I don’t know if that would be sustainable over the course of a tourney. At the very least, either Sears or Cookie is gonna have to figure it out. Personally I feel more confident in Cookie since I’ve seen him have “it” before in the past - for more than one start at a time, and against very good competition.
You raise an interesting option. Sounds crazy but how Uconn's pitching is constructed at present the Super Regional format (cookie cutter 2 of 3) is much more advantageous to them than the regional format. But you first have to get out of the regionals to get to the Supers. If the NCAAs started tomorrow and they got in, I would start SQuigs game 1. He is the most consistent and the variance is the lowest.

Reaction Score
Why isn’t Studley playing? Hurt? Or getting the senior players in?

Reaction Score
No Studley, wonder if he pulled something during BP like Smith did earlier this week. Hope not.

Reaction Score
Why isn’t Studley playing? Hurt? Or getting the senior players in?
No Studley, wonder if he pulled something during BP like Smith did earlier this week. Hope not.

Last night during the MIXLR broadcast of the game Chris Jones said that Studley was playing but feeling a bit under the weather. Have to think Studley is still feeling under the weather so that is probably why he is not in the lineup today.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Last night during the MIXLR broadcast of the game Chris Jones said that Studley was playing but feeling a bit under the weather. Have to think Studley is still feeling under the weather so that is probably why he is not in the lineup today.

The benefit of depth: Tammaro would be a starter on 90% of 1-A teams, including some power conference teams. So would Daniels.

Reaction Score
Isn’t this Studleys last year, too?

… Senior Day Ceremony is tomorrow

Studley and a number of other Grad transfers have another year of eligibility. I would think that if they were not listed as one of the players being honored tomorrow during Senior Day ceremonies, most likely they will be back next season at UConn unless they get drafted or if they transfer again to another school.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones says Studley wasn't feeling well yesterday, and last night he starting feeling worse.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, with 1 out, Butler gets a single, double, and another single which brings in 2 runs. 2-0 Butler.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Quigley throws hard and has good stuff. I think he takes a leap next year, but he's still a little inconsistent. Let's see if he settles down here.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, after the runs score, S. Quigley gets 2 strikeouts, and leaves 2 runners on base, 2-0 Butler.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Daniels with a leadoff single, but he is thrown out trying to stretch it into a double. UConn offense with the minimum 3 batters. 2-0 Butler.

Reaction Score
We have some real SP problems. I hope we can host because going to down to an SEC or ACC school with those offenses could get real ugly. They are just teeing up the pitches. Also, for a bad defensive team, their defense has been amazing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom