8 and 0, what do we know? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

8 and 0, what do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I never said Dunn bashed UConn. I don't understand why she chose to tweet about UConn's dominance of 3 clearly over-matched opponents to make her point about lopsided scores in WCBB. She started it on Friday and then repeated it yesterday (another rout by Connecticut! Is this good for our game?) Meanwhile, UNC won by 40 points today and Tennessee won by 34 points, and ND has won 2 games by 50 points and the number of drubbings by teams not named UConn this season are too numerous to mention. We get it.

I have a lot of respect for Dunn's knowledge of the game. Surely there's a better and more constructive way than tweeting about one team to address the problems she sees. At the very least she shouldn't limit herself to 140 characters per idea. Maybe she's already doing that; I hope so.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Lynn Dunn is an ass if she thinks Uconn is bad for the game. Maybe she is just jealous that she can not get her teams to play up to the level of Geno's teams. That statement stands for all the coaches like Brenda and Holly who think what Geno does year in and year out is easy or because of better talent. Hell Summit lost her mind when Maya decide she wanted to reach her fullest potential at Uconn and choose Geno and CD to coach her. Not a bad decision in retrospect was it?

Before we dump on her too hard, it would be nice to confirm that's what she really meant. I think she clarified that her comment wasn't that UConn was bad, but it was a bad situation that there weren't more teams that could challenge UConn. If she meant the latter, it is the ultimate compliment - why aren't there more teams like UConn?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So I guess UConn should just play 5 game season. :rolleyes:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There was a moment in the first half (actually about 5 minutes), in which the whole team clicked with relentless exactitude.
Outside, inside, a terror on defense and on the boards…it was a thing of beauty and art.

I agree with that, reminded me of a stretch in, I think it was an ODU game, where we just seemed to do everything right.

That said, one of my favorite moments was a possession in the second half where Stokes was a demon, keeping it in bounds and saving it a couple times. If we see more of that Stokes well see more of Stokes. I guarantee that sequence will be mentioned in the film room. (Probably with typical Geno sarcasm "Why don't we see more of that?)

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Although many of us were concerned and worried when KML went down then found out about MTuck but look at us now. Kiah and Saniya have matured quickly. Tierney is a pleasant surprise and Polly is coming along. We will be much better when they get back. Wow did I just say that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They may also be the best in the country in the open court. Who, can run with MoJet, Bria, Briana and Saniya? For that matter, what bigs can run with ours?

Reaction Score
Individually the change in Moriah from a year ago is a rare thing. While the way she is playing now is certainly within the potential she showed in high school, I couldn't fairly expect the jump she made.

While there is a lot of room for Breanna to improve the difference between her assists this year and a year ago is a tangible marker of her improvement. She's finally helping her teammates be successful, which even during her NCAA run wasn't really happening last year.

But overall just seeing this team execute offense like a UConn team is a relief. Last year at times it was painful to watch fastbreak opportunity after fastbreak opportunity bungled. Or players being completely lost in the halfcourt offense. Over matched opponents or not these last two game sin particular showed a level of collective execution rarely seen a year ago.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Among the many areas of improvement in the half-court offense:

Spacing. High post, low post, perimeter, sharp cuts through the lane, no bunching up.

Quick passing. It is rare that anyone hold the ball more than one or two seconds, whereas last year some (most notably Kiah and Morgan) would look around a bit before passing the ball. Now it is zip zip zip zip shot!
Similarly, fast outlet passes from defensive rebound to transition.

All in all, enormous sustained pressure on defenders, keeping them constantly on their heels.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And I'm enjoying folks who want to use Lin Dunn as a kicking post all season, even as they deliberately misread her intent. It's cute.
Well if you read her follow up posts, looks like they read her correctly.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I finally got to see a few minutes of this team yesterday (end of first half only), and what probably amazed me the most were some of the passes I saw. These guys consistently thread the needle. We used to get a few of those per game, but I saw several incredible passes, and all in a fairly short period of time.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'll start and edit with the input of others. We know:

• [ ]Defending national champs and no evidence of complacency. This team's effort is relentless. #Maturity
    [ ]This team played 4 games in 5 days and its play improved with each game. #Maturity

[ ]After 2 games the team loses its leading scorer and best perimeter scorer and a key player off the bench. In the face of this adversity, the team goes on the road and beats 2 ranked teams convincingly. #Maturity
    [ ]The team has racked up 178 assists versus only 80 turnovers. #Unselfish #Discipline

[ ]UConn runs the best half-court offense in the country, hands down. #HardCuts #Unselfish

[ ]Dolson, Stewart and Stokes are the best frontcourt in the country and it isn't close. Can't wait for KML and Tuck to join them. #Versatile

[ ]Bria Hartley is on a mission, averaging 14 points, 5.9 assists and only 10 turnovers. No guard in the country attacks the defense in transition like Bria Hartley. #Pride
    [ ]Stef Dolson is the best center in the country, hands down. #Versatile
    [ ]Kiah Stokes is a completely different player this year. #Pride
    [ ]Moriah Jefferson is an absolute pest on defense. #Relentless
    [ ]Breanna Stewart can score from everywhere on the court. #Unguardable
    [ ]Brianna Banks has been aggressive, great on defense, patient on offense, and a spark whenever she's on the court. #Fearless
    [ ]Saniya Chong has great instincts, is a great passer and can hit clutch shots. She has also proved that the recruit ratings services completely missed the boat. #NosurprisetoUConnfans

[ ]Lin Dunn should spend less time looking at the scoreboard and more time watching how well this team plays the game she loves. #BeautifulBasketball

BUt other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? ;)

Reaction Score
We are 8 - 0 and I know we have a 14 game winning streak and that means 77 to go for the record.

77 TO GO

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Among the many areas of improvement in the half-court offense:

Spacing. High post, low post, perimeter, sharp cuts through the lane, no bunching up.

Quick passing. It is rare that anyone hold the ball more than one or two seconds, whereas last year some (most notably Kiah and Morgan) would look around a bit before passing the ball. Now it is zip zip zip zip shot!
Similarly, fast outlet passes from defensive rebound to transition.

All in all, enormous sustained pressure on defenders, keeping them constantly on their heels.

Yeah. I'd been commenting to Colleen early in the year that -- despite noticeable improvement from last year -- some of our players were still standing around too much in the half court offense and the passers weren't finding people to be where they first looked for them. But that's been much further improved over the last 3 games. Hopefully the successful repetition against 3 different opponents will allow them to continue against faster, stronger opposition.

As Phil mentioned, last night I was reminded of that ODU game from the beginning of the century. I can't remember for sure whether it was the Ralph-Abrosimova team or the TASS team, but I think it was the latter in the undefeated season. At the end of the game, a Geno who was more hard-edged than he exhibits now said something in the neighborhood of "for the first half, they played the game the way I see it going in my head", meaning both offense and defense. High praise indeed! For the last 3 games there have been many flashes (and for those 10 minutes in the first half last night an extended display) of the way skill, teamwork and dedication can combine to make a symphony of mesmerizing motion on the floor that I just love watching.

Congratulations, ladies! And Thanks! A lot!

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
As far as better than Jones, Williams and Cash... Let's just say that we are looking at two different eras. That was the era of the 6'2" swing forward who at that time could dominate. Jones lagged behind the other two as she was the late bloomer. Williams became beset with injuries and her time was limited and Cash was simply fearless, not to be denied and just a beast around the basket. Now, this group is 6'3", 6'4" and 6'5"...that spells formidable. They represent the era of the big post players. We have a legitimate center, maybe two, A power forward who can play the other 4 positions....versatility, power, scoring, blocked shots...I have to go with this three as better than Jones, Williams and Cash if we are talking about strictly front court in this day and age. If we take Dolson, Stewart and Stokes and transport them back to the former era they would terrorize teams. If we went back to the future with Jones, Williams and Cash...while I think they would be incredible they wouldn't have the same effect on WCBB in 2013.

Now comparing this team to last year's version. I have to say that this year's team is in my opinion even better than last year's version. I mean this as no disrespect towards Kelly Faris who was an amazing player. However player by player:

Lost from last year - Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty and Heather Buck

Dolson - healthier, better
Bria - healthier, better
Stewart - smarter, more mature, better
Moriah - just better, did I say better? Absolutely better!
Banks - back from her injury, almost as good as she was when she went down. By the end of the season barring any further injuries she will be better.
Kiah - better by a lot
Morgan - before she went in for her surgery...she was playing awesome...definitely better than last year.
KML - No doubt she will be at least as good as she was last year when she returns to the line-up
Saniya - playing well for a freshman...she is not playing at Kelly Faris's level but between her playing better than expected and the rest of the team playing better than last year. I believe this team is better than last year's version.
Tierney Lawlor and Brianna Polito - What can you say...they are walk-ons. They are doing great and deserve a lot of credit.

Empirical Data...

This yr. Last yr Change
Stewart 18.9 13.8 +5.1
Hartley 14.0 9.2 +4.8
Dolson 14.0 13.6 +0.4
Jefferson 11.6 4.7 +6.9
KML 17.6 10.5 -7.1*
Stokes 8.8 2.8 +6.0
Tuck 8.5 6.4 +2.1
Saniya 7.9 0.0 +7.9
Banks 5.9 7.3 -1.4**
Lawlor 3.6 0.0 +3.6
Pulido 0.4 0.0 +0.4
Faris 0.0 10.2 -10.2
Doty 0.0 3.2 -3.2
Buck 0.0 0.8 -0.8

Net change +14.04 Total Rebounds 2012-13 = 42.8 per game; 2013-14 = 42.5 Total Assists 2012-13 = 20.8; 2013-14 = 22.3

*Who doesn't think that KML will be playing at least at the level she was playing at last year?
**who doesn't think that Banks will continue to improve as the season wears on?

Does that mean that players who are getting minutes now will get less to make way for Tuck and KML of course...so, at the end of the day...Stokes and Banks may see a little less time and their stats may take a little hit...but, it will balance out and quite possibly the stats could skew towards being even better. I believe that this team will be better this year. Additionally, we won't be playing Notre Dame 3/4 times, We will be playing Louisville probably three times but I don't anticipate the same level of competitiveness as Notre Dame provided last year, Duke will be tough especially if KML isn't back in the line-up, Baylor won't be as tough this year as they were last year, the new AAC will not be anywhere near as competitive as the old Big East.

Reaction Score
As far as better than Jones, Williams and Cash... Let's just say that we are looking at two different eras. That was the era of the 6'2" swing forward who at that time could dominate. Jones lagged behind the other two as she was the late bloomer. Williams became beset with injuries and her time was limited and Cash was simply fearless, not to be denied and just a beast around the basket. Now, this group is 6'3", 6'4" and 6'5"...that spells formidable. They represent the era of the big post players. We have a legitimate center, maybe two, A power forward who can play the other 4 positions....versatility, power, scoring, blocked shots...I have to go with this three as better than Jones, Williams and Cash if we are talking about strictly front court in this day and age. If we take Dolson, Stewart and Stokes and transport them back to the former era they would terrorize teams. If we went back to the future with Jones, Williams and Cash...while I think they would be incredible they wouldn't have the same effect on WCBB in 2013.

Now comparing this team to last year's version. I have to say that this year's team is in my opinion even better than last year's version. I mean this as no disrespect towards Kelly Faris who was an amazing player. However player by player:

Lost from last year - Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty and Heather Buck

Dolson - healthier, better
Bria - healthier, better
Stewart - smarter, more mature, better
Moriah - just better, did I say better? Absolutely better!
Banks - back from her injury, almost as good as she was when she went down. By the end of the season barring any further injuries she will be better.
Kiah - better by a lot
Morgan - before she went in for her surgery...she was playing awesome...definitely better than last year.
KML - No doubt she will be at least as good as she was last year when she returns to the line-up
Saniya - playing well for a freshman...she is not playing at Kelly Faris's level but between her playing better than expected and the rest of the team playing better than last year. I believe this team is better than last year's version.
Tierney Lawlor and Brianna Polito - What can you say...they are walk-ons. They are doing great and deserve a lot of credit.

Empirical Data...

This yr. Last yr Change
Stewart 18.9 13.8 +5.1
Hartley 14.0 9.2 +4.8
Dolson 14.0 13.6 +0.4
Jefferson 11.6 4.7 +6.9
KML 17.6 10.5 -7.1*
Stokes 8.8 2.8 +6.0
Tuck 8.5 6.4 +2.1
Saniya 7.9 0.0 +7.9
Banks 5.9 7.3 -1.4*
Lawlor 3.6 0.0 +3.6
Pulido 0.4 0.0 +0.4
Faris 0.0 10.2 -10.2
Doty 0.0 3.2 -3.2
Buck 0.0 0.8 -0.8

Net change +14.04 Total Rebounds 2012-13 = 42.8 per game; 2013-14 = 42.5 Total Assists 2012-13 = 20.8; 2013-14 = 22.3

*Who doesn't think that KML will be playing at least at the level she was playing at last year?
*who doesn't think that Banks will continue to improve as the season wears on?

Does that mean that players who are getting minutes now will get less to make way for Tuck and KML of course...so, at the end of the day...Stokes and Banks may see a little less time and their stats may take a little hit...but, it will balance out and quite possibly the stats could skew towards being even better. I believe that this team will be better this year. Additionally, we won't be playing Notre Dame 3/4 times, We will be playing Louisville probably three times but I don't anticipate the same level of competitiveness as Notre Dame provided last year, Duke will be tough especially if KML isn't back in the line-up, Baylor won't be as tough this year as they were last year, the new AAC will not be anywhere near as competitive as the old Big East.
When KML, and Morgan come back it will cut into some people's minutes, but everyone will be fresher, and the team will press more. The amount of points, rebounds, assists will probably go up, as everyone on the team wants to play well, in order to get more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom