7TH PLAYOFF BOWL UPDATE | The Boneyard

7TH PLAYOFF BOWL UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Good info. Aresco already stated multiple times that the 7th bowl is ongoing and there aren't any issues. Basically, anything out of ESPiN posing as news got an agenda. They are trying devaluing the BE as much as possible via all of their talk shows etc. It would be nice if BE can find another TV partner other than ESPiN at this point. They haven't done jack to promote the conference.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is where FedEx and Memphis step up...

Ugh, I hope not. Memphis is a 3rd class city; Houston is major and fast growing area.
Also hopefully FedEx can put its money behind propping up the University.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
"Basically, anything out of ESPiN posing as news got an agenda..."

And Aresco doesnt have an agenda?

Is it that hard to accept that Florida St. vs Notre Dame or Bama is more attractive to TV than Boise or Cincy vs Kansas St. or Stanford?

The real question is whether the 7th Bowl, if it materializes, is allowed to joined the playoff rotation.

Reaction Score

Is it that hard to accept that Florida St. vs Notre Dame or Bama is more attractive to TV than Boise or Cincy vs Kansas St. or Stanford?

The real question is whether the 7th Bowl, if it materializes, is allowed to joined the playoff rotation.

Sounds about right. I don't doubt the Big East will want a spot for its Champion, and it seems to be taking the route of forming a new bowl to do so (probably a smart move). The big question is if the other conferences want the new bowl as part of the "playoff" rotation. That would likely make it much more lucrative $$$ wise. But it seems the powers that be want to see what the game independently is worth to broadcasters, and that appears to be the hold up. If its not worth enough, it may just be another Bowl game.

Reaction Score

I think there is one significant difference...
Aresco is paid to look out for the best interest of the Big East. When you speak with him, his position is clearly understood. I can't say that for ESPN. Are they a news source reporting unbiased but factual events, or are they a business providing providing news to benefit their bottom line and support their agenda?

What ESPN and the other conferences want is to create a perception that no matter what the records, a team from the said 5 contract conferences is always better than any team from the other non-contract conferences. This supports the reationale for having a 7-6 Big10 team in the Rose Bowl while the Big10 champ plays in the playoffs while a 10-2 Big East team plays in the whatever bowl. It also supports what ESPN is trying to do to college football overall at the direct expense of the non-contract leagues.

What I can't accept is a blanket statement that FSU vs ND is always a better or more attractive game than say Boise St vs Rutgers or UofL... So, to respond to your point, it is hard to accept... Do you really think a game between #55 ND vs #38 FSU will be more watched over a #2 Boise vs #15 UofL in November? I think people want to see competitive matchups that have national implications. ESPN with a huge investment wants you to think it has to be one of their 5 leagues.

To accept that fact is to accept that Uconn will forever be relegated to a minor league status until it moves to a different conference.

Reaction Score

Are you serious with this reply? Aresco is the BE commissioner. He is being paid to look out for the BE and to promote the BE. Right now, he is constantly trying to be in the media because he has no choice. He has to battle the constant negativity out of ESPiN.

Do you think all games with big names are automatically attractive? Do you think all the average college FB fans are just stupid sheeps that would love to watch 7-6 FSU vs. 7-6 ND vs. 11-1 Boise vs. 11-1 Kansas State? Really?

BTW, ESPiN is pretending to be a news organization when in reality they are just pushing products under their control. I am just hoping people can see the truth and stop watching ESPiN on everything sports.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I think there is one significant difference...
Aresco is paid to look out for the best interest of the Big East. When you speak with him, his position is clearly understood. I can't say that for ESPN. Are they a news source reporting unbiased but factual events, or are they a business providing providing news to benefit their bottom line and support their agenda?

What ESPN and the other conferences want is to create a perception that no matter what the records, a team from the said 5 contract conferences is always better than any team from the other non-contract conferences. This supports the reationale for having a 7-6 Big10 team in the Rose Bowl while the Big10 champ plays in the playoffs while a 10-2 Big East team plays in the whatever bowl. It also supports what ESPN is trying to do to college football overall at the direct expense of the non-contract leagues.

What I can't accept is a blanket statement that FSU vs ND is always a better or more attractive game than say Boise St vs Rutgers or UofL... So, to respond to your point, it is hard to accept... Do you really think a game between #55 ND vs #38 FSU will be more watched over a #2 Boise vs #15 UofL in November? I think people want to see competitive matchups that have national implications. ESPN with a huge investment wants you to think it has to be one of their 5 leagues.

To accept that fact is to accept that Uconn will forever be relegated to a minor league status until it moves to a different conference.

"To accept that fact is to accept that Uconn will forever be relegated to a minor league status until it moves to a different conference."

IF, the Big East doesn't earn a TV contract in the mid-teen's AND a bowl game in the playoff rotation, then you've captured my perspective perfectly with that quote.

Reaction Score
Do you think all games with big names are automatically attractive? Do you think all the average college FB fans are just stupid sheeps that would love to watch 7-6 FSU vs. 7-6 ND vs. 11-1 Boise vs. 11-1 Kansas State? Really?

Who is this average fan? The Internet is probably not a good place to start. The problem is simple math can demonstrate the ratings for a typical Notre Dame game trump a normal Boise State game. That's true now and throughout history. And certain other schools, like Kansas State, do not travel well or attract large audiences despite high rankings and placement in a major conference. Neither changes the fact that both can be good teams, but sponsors aren't paying top dollar for teams without a track record. This "7th Bowl" is an uncertainty to anyone buying its rights, particularly since it almost guarantees to be a match-up two teams without huge track records (one would be a traditional non-BCS school from the Big East and the other would be a 2nd or 3rd option from the Big 12/Pac 12). Unfortunately both the Big 12 and Pac 12 are top heavy conferences with a few elites (USC, UT, OU) and alot of good, but not exactly major name schools.

Your state example is pretty extreme anyhow. There's no realistic result where a 7-6 FSU plays a 7-6 Notre Dame. Hell, both schools currently outrank the current Big East leader. But it does not matter too much. You don't pay for a single match-up in a particular year. You pay for the average match-up. Just like how the Big 10 is having a down year and the eventual Rose Bowl representative will be weak. But the Rose Bowl is still a premier game that networks pay top ducks for. K-State vs. Boise State would be the absolute best case scenario for the "7th" Bowl. And even then it's not exactly something networks drool over. What if it ends up being a year like 2010, where UConn at 8-4 plays the third place team from the Big 12 (since Oklahoma woould likely have been bumped up to the "Champions" Bowl"). The third place team would have either been OSU, Nebraska, Missouri, or A & M. The latter three are gone, so basically it's UConn vs. Oklahoma State. Networks don't pay $60 million for that match-up.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Are you serious with this reply? Aresco is the BE commissioner. He is being paid to look out for the BE and to promote the BE. Right now, he is constantly trying to be in the media because he has no choice. He has to battle the constant negativity out of ESPiN.

BTW, ESPiN is pretending to be a news organization when in reality they are just pushing products under their control. I am just hoping people can see the truth and stop watching ESPiN on everything sports.

Completely serious.

I love Aresco. He's shown to be a great promoter of the dumpster fire Marinatto left for him to extinguish and rebuild. Obviously the point was, just because he says something, doesn't make it so.

BTW, when was the last time the ACC champ was 7-6? The Orange Bowl won't be able to take a 7-6 ND even if they wanted to. They'll take a 10-2 or 9-3 LSU/Bama/Flor/Georgia/OH ST/Mich/Nebr/Wisc.

FWIW, I actually watched SportsCenter Friday night and the lead was the Louisville/Cincy game. I dont buy into the conspiracy theory that you and others here promote which is that ESPN senior management dictates to its programming producers that they denigrate and/or ignore the Big East at every opportunity. Big East football when compared, by virtually any measure, to the Big 4 and to a lesser extent even the ACC, is an inferior product, thereby justifying for the most part the inferior coverage ESPN provides.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I actually watched SportsCenter Friday night and the lead was the Louisville/Cincy game.
Of course they lead with it, there were exactly zero games from the four major professional leagues played that night, and exactly one college game. They had no other choice. Not to mention that on the Saturday night SportsCenters, they constantly referenced there being four undefeated teams in college football, all of which were in the BCS top 5, then remarked that other than those four, there were no other BCS conference undefeated teams. They subsequently made one or two more misreferences to UofL, either leaving them out of the undefeated category, not referring to them as a BCS conference team, or showed a visual where they highlighted the wrong team instead of UofL as being undefeated.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Of course they lead with it, there were exactly zero games from the four major professional leagues played that night, and exactly one college game. They had no other choice. Not to mention that on the Saturday night SportsCenters, they constantly referenced there being four undefeated teams in college football, all of which were in the BCS top 5, then remarked that other than those four, there were no other BCS conference undefeated teams. They subsequently made one or two more misreferences to UofL, either leaving them out of the undefeated category, not referring to them as a BCS conference team, or showed a visual where they highlighted the wrong team instead of UofL as being undefeated.

OK, with that all said, do you believe that Louisville is in the same class as the four Big 5 undefeated teams?

I wouldn't even group them with LSU, Florida, Georgia or Ohio St. I think they are more comparable to Miss St, Rutgers and Toledo.

I don't understand why so many on the Boneyard perpetuate the myth that Big East deserves treatment comparable to the Big 5.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many on the Boneyard perpetuate the myth that Big East deserves treatment comparable to the Big 5.
Because the on the field performance is on par or better than at least one if not two of those 5 conferences you're referring to.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Because the on the field performance is on par or better than at least one if not two of those 5 conferences you're referring to.

The Big East lacks top flight teams. We don't have Bama/LSU, OU/Texas, USC/Oregon or even OhioSt/Nebraska or Florida St/Clemson.

If Boise and whoever else can compete consistently like that over 10 years, then we have a different discussion.

Reaction Score
Florida State and Clemson are top flight teams? I know that's what ESPN keeps telling us, but from what I've seen FSU is ALWAYS going to be a title contender next year and Clemson makes a living beating up over hyped ACC teams and then gets ass raped in bigger OOC or bowl games. Last years Orange Bowl to WVU, year before that to USF in the Charlotte Bowl (whatever that's called these days).

Reaction Score
"To accept that fact is to accept that Uconn will forever be relegated to a minor league status until it moves to a different conference."

IF, the Big East doesn't earn a TV contract in the mid-teen's AND a bowl game in the playoff rotation, then you've captured my perspective perfectly with that quote.
Thats not really what I read... Sounded like you felt nd vs FSU would always be more attractive and that Aresco was pushing an agenda to suggest otherwise...

Reaction Score
The Big East lacks top flight teams. We don't have Bama/LSU, OU/Texas, USC/Oregon or even OhioSt/Nebraska or Florida St/Clemson.

If Boise and whoever else can compete consistently like that over 10 years, then we have a different discussion.
And the new system does a great job of preventing us from getting to that level as well. And for all that Boise has done, they still aren't considered equals.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Florida State and Clemson are top flight teams? I know that's what ESPN keeps telling us, but from what I've seen FSU is ALWAYS going to be a title contender next year and Clemson makes a living beating up over hyped ACC teams and then gets ass raped in bigger OOC or bowl games. Last years Orange Bowl to WVU, year before that to USF in the Charlotte Bowl (whatever that's called these days).

A program's past history plays a role in all this, and properly so, I think. I get that rubs many people here the wrong way.

Bottom line is, in watching the games, I don't think this year's Louisville team is in the same class as Bama, KSU, Oregon or ND. And I do think UConn would be better off in the Big 12, Big 10 or yes, even the ACC, notwithstanding that the later 2 aren't having great seasons.

Reaction Score
A program's past history plays a role in all this, and properly so, I think. I get that rubs many people here the wrong way.

Bottom line is, in watching the games, I don't think this year's Louisville team is in the same class as Bama, KSU, Oregon or ND. And I do think UConn would be better off in the Big 12, Big 10 or yes, even the ACC, notwithstanding that the later 2 aren't having great seasons.
Well I guess that settles...
But here's my take... It was only 2 months ago the same experts had Arkansas as a top program. Some even suggested more recently USC was nc caliber. Neither made your list.
That's why we play games. We have a culture of supporting the underdog and rooting for an upset. The BCS and new playoff system prevent that.

Sadly, the money grab is as American as the effort to kill the underdog is unamerican.

Reaction Score

The ACC's season is perfectly normal. It's the ACC's century that is the issue.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Well I guess that settles...
But here's my take... It was only 2 months ago the same experts had Arkansas as a top program. Some even suggested more recently USC was nc caliber. Neither made your list.
That's why we play games. We have a culture of supporting the underdog and rooting for an upset. The BCS and new playoff system prevent that.

Sadly, the money grab is as American as the effort to kill the underdog is unamerican.

I'm all for the underdog, as long as its not me for eternity, and that's what UConn faces in the NBE. As for Louisville, I think they lose by double digits to Alabama, KSU, Oregon and probably even NDame. You don't. And that's great. Allows for the debate.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
The ACC's season is perfectly normal. It's the ACC's century that is the issue.

ACC's highly overrated in the 2000's for sure. But I forget; you prefer UConn stick with the NBE rather than jump to the ACC if ever given the chance?

Reaction Score
I'm all for the underdog, as long as its not me for eternity, and that's what UConn faces in the NBE. As for Louisville, I think they lose by double digits to Alabama, KSU, Oregon and probably even NDame. You don't. And that's great. Allows for the debate.
And my point is, I don't want debate... I want UofL to get a chance to play those teams. Maybe they win.

Reaction Score
ACC's highly overrated in the 2000's for sure. But I forget; you prefer UConn stick with the NBE rather than jump to the ACC if ever given the chance?

I've made perfectly clear why UConn with the chance should be in the Big East. But better football on the field ain't near the top of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom