7=4 Cal over Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

7=4 Cal over Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both teams are not in UCONN's class....Cal at MSG in a month just after UCONN visits CIS.........Poor shooting and no defense......

Reaction Score
Well 2 times in a row Cal got Duke to miss down 9 with a chance to cut into the lead. But of course their post players couldn't box out and get the rebound and Duke got points both times.

Reaction Score
And there Cal's post players didnt box out on a missed free throw and gave up 2.

Reaction Score
I shudder every time I see that former TN assistant and his gawdawful sweaters on the Duke bench.

LOL All I think about is how Geno had to be held back after the 2000 Championship from going after him because of a half hearted hand shake.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Duke 70
Cal 58

Solid win for Duke. Cal is a very good team.

Reaction Score
Duke has an impressive wave of players. They pass well, hit 3s and have an elite backcourt. They will be hard for most teams to match up against. Cal reminded me of their team last year, minus Clarendon, who was their only "real" shot maker. Not sure they have anyone who can consistently put the ball in the basket this season.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Duke has an impressive wave of players. They pass well, hit 3s and have an elite backcourt. They will be hard for most teams to match up against. Cal reminded me of their team last year, minus Clarendon, who was their only "real" shot maker. Not sure they have anyone who can consistently put the ball in the basket this season.
They are clearly a tough team and Gray + Jones is a very tough backcourt. Gray has a size advantage over MoJeff, Bria and BBanks but UConn has the overall backcourt quickness advantage.

Reaction Score
Officiating always impacts games. This new "emphasis" is a whole new variable in the equation.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
LOL All I think about is how Geno had to be held back after the 2000 Championship from going after him because of a half hearted hand shake.

Geno's favorite loser. If I read his bio correctly the guy has been an assistant since 1967 at 11 different schools. That says it all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Williams with 5 pts. But I thought she was the best center in the game?
Who said that? I do think Williams is terrific. Not having seen the game, I can't tell you how or if her play impacted the game in other ways. Stef had 16 points vs. Hartford, but I've seen her be remarkably effective without scoring as well.

I do think some UCONN fans recall KML and Liz's freshman year - I think Liz was named FOY over KML. Both were ranked 1-2 coming out of HS. Safe to say I like Williams a lot, but if I could only choose one, it would be KML.

Reaction Score
Who said that? I do think Williams is terrific. Not having seen the game, I can't tell you how or if her play impacted the game in other ways. Stef had 16 points vs. Hartford, but I've seen her be remarkably effective without scoring as well.

I do think some UCONN fans recall KML and Liz's freshman year - I think Liz was named FOY over KML. Both were ranked 1-2 coming out of HS. Safe to say I like Williams a lot, but if I could only choose one, it would be KML.
Didn't see Williams in this game and she is very talented but I have seen her play often enough that it seems the little bit of extra weight she carries does not allow her to play hard through all of her minutes. KML carries a little extra but it does not seem to effect her play and helps in the post ups and in the rebounding.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cal needs a bigs coach. Amazingly bad performance.

Cal was also missing its best big due to injury (Forward Ginnifer Brandon averaged 12 ppg and 11 rpg to anchor Cal's frontcourt last year).

Reaction Score
Cal was also missing its best big due to injury (Forward Ginnifer Brandon averaged 12 ppg and 11 rpg to anchor Cal's frontcourt last year).

She played a few minutes, but yes, she was certainly not at her best.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I believe ESPN picked Williams as the best center.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I had not picked up on that. Well, they better get her back quick. Their foot work, positioning, you name it was pretty awful. They did not contest some well telegraphed drives by Duke guards and forwards. Startlingly poor effort. Hard to understand. We need better efforts than that to help keep the WCBB audience.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I thought Duke looked very good for their first game of the season. I think Cal needs more work, but they are pretty much what we knew they'd be. Just like last year, they rely too much on offensive rebounding. They need a scorer to replace Clarendon, and I'm not sure who that person will be. Looks like coach Gottlieb has the same question as me.

I love top 25 OOC battles, as they are so useful in revealing relative conference strength (at the TOP of a conference) but perhaps the first week or two is not the time to schedule them, as teams are still finding themselves. But I fear that Stanford has no chance against UConn today because I just cannot see any way for Stanford to contain UConn's offense and I think Geno will have an excellent plan for containing Chiney and Orrange. In this case I doubt another week or two would help Tara solve this dilemma.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wanted to add something on this thread about other fans claims of UCONN's "obsession" with Tennessee. First, this thread has over 40 posts on it. Second, the reason it doesn't have over 100 is because there aren't 3 or 4 Duke fans on here saying we are out of our minds. Third, this is a close to 50-post thread on Duke. They are a top 5 team. They played a top 10 opponent. UCONN fans seem to be equal opportunity posters for other top teams. I'd imagine if ND were playing Maryland, we'd see a similar amount of posts on here.

Reaction Score
Geno's favorite loser. If I read his bio correctly the guy has been an assistant since 1967 at 11 different schools. That says it all.

Has he put in a stint at Rutgers yet? His record sounds like CVS and her innumerable trips to the Final Four piloting any number of schools, but leaving w/o a Championship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stewart with 9 pts. But I thought she was the best player in the game?
Could have something to do with fouls and bench time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom