60/50/90 | The Boneyard

60/50/90

Reaction Score
Like may BY & UConn fans, I'm excited for the possibilities for the upcoming season, albeit many months away. I'm especially looking forward to another season of Paige playing in a UConn uniform. She came to UConn with an objective that has escaped her as of yet. Since this is most likely her last year, I expect her preparations to include nothing less than a NC.

Come October, I expect to see a stronger, quicker and even more determined version of Paige on the court. Can she shoot 60% from the field, reach 50% on her 3-pt shot attempts, and crest 90% at the charity line? If anyone can, Paige can. She's like a coach on the floor, extremely talented and judicious in her decision-making as well as shot selection.

In each of her first 3 years, she has shot above 50%. This past season, she was shooting close to 50% from 3-pt land, before a late season swoon dropped her closer to 40%. I think it was due to a combination of tired legs and being asked to take more shots for the benefit of the team. Additionally, she was an 83% + foul shooter. Pretty incredible and efficient numbers for any player, especially after missing so much time off the court. It leads me to believe that she can and will be even better.

If all goes well in the offseason, UConn should enter the season with a plethora of shooters. Paige should not feel compelled to force shots, allowing her to be more selective. If UConn is able to spread the court with accurate & willing shooters, opponents won't be able to lock on Paige, thus giving her clearer looks. She is such a pure shooter, 50% is not out of the question.

Last year, Paige played out of position, battled against stronger, taller players, and forced to play too many minutes. I feel it contributed to her missing more foul shots than normal. 90% is not beyond the realm of possibility for her, as is shooting 60% from the field or 50% from 3-pt.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking that Paige could make a run at these stats with a fully stocked and healthy UConn squad? What do others think?

Reaction Score
I think the 60% from the field is possible if they play hard core defense that ends in run out layups and Paige focuses on the mid-range.

The 50% 3pt is likely not going to happen. Even the great KML was just under 50%. A bad shooting night here and there can easily drag the percentage just enough.

The 90% free throws is definitely not going to happen. 85% could be a more attainable goal.

Reaction Score
Considering stats from many great players over the years, I’d say 50% on threes is unrealiistic. But a great aspiration.

Reaction Score
Shooting 60% from the field is unlikely unless you’re a post player shooting mostly layups and it would be really tough to shoot 50% from 3 for an entire season.

Shooting 55/45/90 would be potentially possible for Paige as someone said above. Even 50/40/90 would be a very nice accomplishment.

There are some guards, even All-conference players (not naming names but thinking of a couple) in NCAA women’s basketball that don’t even shoot 40% from the field!

Reaction Score
Like others, I can see Paige in that 50/40/90 club. Shooting 60 from the field would require her being in the post and growing 6 or 7 inches and adding some weight to the point where she would just rim run and post in the lane or the block and just crush folks in the post. I am good with Paige being in the 50/40/90 club.

Reaction Score
While I fall into the camp that ranks Paige as the best guard/point guard in the country, I enjoyed seeing her as the "4" this past year. Typically, her defender was too slow to keep up with her and only 1-2 inches taller. Paige was usually unguardable one on one and her quickness, jumping ability and surprising (to me) strength made her a solid defender. Even with more size coming in next year, suspect Geno will see many situations where he goes to this match up.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
While I fall into the camp that ranks Paige as the best guard/point guard in the country, I enjoyed seeing her as the "4" this past year. Typically, her defender was too slow to keep up with her and only 1-2 inches taller. Paige was usually unguardable one on one and her quickness, jumping ability and surprising (to me) strength made her a solid defender. Even with more size coming in next year, suspect Geno will see many situations where he goes to this match up.
Good points, this subject didn't get as much chatter as I thought it would during the season. Geno, the mad scientist, did a lot of interesting things with his 4 guards.

A typical half court possession had kk initiate the play perhaps with a drive and kick, then Nika got a crack at it, and finally late in the shot clock Paige would get the ball from her 4 spot. This meant both Nika and Paige were picking up their assists by making plays in non traditional spots. Both of them made some remarkable plays, too in these roles. It's also why their assists were down - less time with ball in their hands.

At the tail end of season, both Nika and Paige even showed up in the high post, where they made some amazing sidearm passes to cutters.

I'm curious where Geno plays Paige next year. Even if it reverts to the traditional 1 or 2 spot, I think Geno will occasionally revert to these odd plays, as they create mismatches and confusion for the defense.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
paige does not need to hunt for more shots -- though she is excellent at it when she decides it's needed. the problem with paige is her frequent refusal to take good shots -- even great shots -- when they are available.

Reaction Score
PB is not going to be forced to carry the offense to the same extent next year with the return of Azzi, the all-around offensive juggernaut which is Sara Strong, sharp shooting Allie Ziebell, and hopefully the return of Caroline Ducharme........I also expect a dramatic increase in Ice's offensive output and the same for KK.........Shade will hopefully continue her fine play on a more consistent basis and I'm anxiously awaiting to see what Jana and Morgan Cheli can contribute offensively too...........of course, if UConn is fortunate enough to gain any one of the three known portal transfers that only adds to the potential offensive output....

Reaction Score
Like may BY & UConn fans, I'm excited for the possibilities for the upcoming season, albeit many months away. I'm especially looking forward to another season of Paige playing in a UConn uniform. She came to UConn with an objective that has escaped her as of yet. Since this is most likely her last year, I expect her preparations to include nothing less than a NC.

Come October, I expect to see a stronger, quicker and even more determined version of Paige on the court. Can she shoot 60% from the field, reach 50% on her 3-pt shot attempts, and crest 90% at the charity line? If anyone can, Paige can. She's like a coach on the floor, extremely talented and judicious in her decision-making as well as shot selection.

In each of her first 3 years, she has shot above 50%. This past season, she was shooting close to 50% from 3-pt land, before a late season swoon dropped her closer to 40%. I think it was due to a combination of tired legs and being asked to take more shots for the benefit of the team. Additionally, she was an 83% + foul shooter. Pretty incredible and efficient numbers for any player, especially after missing so much time off the court. It leads me to believe that she can and will be even better.

If all goes well in the offseason, UConn should enter the season with a plethora of shooters. Paige should not feel compelled to force shots, allowing her to be more selective. If UConn is able to spread the court with accurate & willing shooters, opponents won't be able to lock on Paige, thus giving her clearer looks. She is such a pure shooter, 50% is not out of the question.

Last year, Paige played out of position, battled against stronger, taller players, and forced to play too many minutes. I feel it contributed to her missing more foul shots than normal. 90% is not beyond the realm of possibility for her, as is shooting 60% from the field or 50% from 3-pt.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking that Paige could make a run at these stats with a fully stocked and healthy UConn squad? What do others think?
First of all what Paige does will depend a lot on what Geno does with the team. If he has her defending the post players again then UConn will be lucky to do what they did this year. I said early on and I still think if he had given Amari the same amount of rope he gave Ice they would have been a totally different team. Their two best players who played out of position the whole year would have been where they belonged and there is no way that position would have been less productive than it was.

Assuming Azzi and Ayanna are healthy I think they have a lineup that will work for Geno if Jana is as good as advertised and Sarah Strong is as good as she has looked lately. They would have KK off the bench and several players fighting for the last two spots in the rotation. I would think they will walk through the Big East again which means everyone will play good minutes if Geno likes them so maybe you might have someone work into a more prominent role later in the season.

In the end though they need to be healthy and stay healthy all season.

Reaction Score
First of all what Paige does will depend a lot on what Geno does with the team. If he has her defending the post players again then UConn will be lucky to do what they did this year. I said early on and I still think if he had given Amari the same amount of rope he gave Ice they would have been a totally different team. Their two best players who played out of position the whole year would have been where they belonged and there is no way that position would have been less productive than it was.

Assuming Azzi and Ayanna are healthy I think they have a lineup that will work for Geno if Jana is as good as advertised and Sarah Strong is as good as she has looked lately. They would have KK off the bench and several players fighting for the last two spots in the rotation. I would think they will walk through the Big East again which means everyone will play good minutes if Geno likes them so maybe you might have someone work into a more prominent role later in the season.

In the end though they need to be healthy and stay healthy all season.
I'm thinking perhaps Azzi comes off the bench early to save her from logging too many minutes as a starter......talk about instant offense........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like others, I can see Paige in that 50/40/90 club. Shooting 60 from the field would require her being in the post and growing 6 or 7 inches and adding some weight to the point where she would just rim run and post in the lane or the block and just crush folks in the post. I am good with Paige being in the 50/40/90 club.
Yeah, that's good enough. 55/45/90 would be a phenomenal year.

KML has a couple of years.

.528/.492/.895
.518/.488/.895

Bird had a couple years
.502/.497/.898
.505/.466/.942

And Jefferson
.587/.496/.843
.557/.431/.894

Jim

Reaction Score
I'm thinking perhaps Azzi comes off the bench early to save her from logging too many minutes as a starter......talk about instant offense........
Although historically Azzi often gets off to slow starts until she finds her range, and then LOOK OUT - she nails three or four in a row and puts the game out of reach. If healthy Azzi should start and Ash or Allie should be the spark off the bench.

Reaction Score
Although historically Azzi often gets off to slow starts until she finds her range, and then LOOK OUT - she nails three or four in a row and puts the game out of reach. If healthy Azzi should start and Ash or Allie should be the spark off the bench.
"If healthy" is the question........we simply don't know if she will return to her prior form which was not 100% of her earlier pre-surgery form but still really good......

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sue had a rounded 50-50-90 season: 0.502/0.497/0.898 in 99-00, rounds to 0.50/0.50/0.90. Unfortunately, rounded doesn't count, it has to be full percentages.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's good enough. 55/45/90 would be a phenomenal year.

KML has a couple of years.

.528/.492/.895
.518/.488/.895

Bird had a couple years
.502/.497/.898
.505/.466/.942

And Jefferson
.587/.496/.843
.557/.431/.894
Thanks for posting this. I've always thought Moriah was under-credited for her shooting prowess and stats.

Reaction Score
PB is not going to be forced to carry the offense to the same extent next year with the return of Azzi, the all-around offensive juggernaut which is Sara Strong, sharp shooting Allie Ziebell, and hopefully the return of Caroline Ducharme........I also expect a dramatic increase in Ice's offensive output and the same for KK.........Shade will hopefully continue her fine play on a more consistent basis and I'm anxiously awaiting to see what Jana and Morgan Cheli can contribute offensively too...........of course, if UConn is fortunate enough to gain any one of the three known portal transfers that only adds to the potential offensive output....

Bueckers won't have to carry the scoring load but she will be running the offense. Of course I have been saying this for a couple of spring/summers. Once everyone is back Bueckers will have an elite array of offensive weapons and I don't think she will mind not shooting at all. Bueckers dreams of being a quarterback and throwing TD passes. And winning.

Reaction Score

Excellent post!!! I wish I had the time and smarts to write something like that.:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. I've always thought Moriah was under-credited for her shooting prowess and stats.
It didn't really kick in til her Jr year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom