43 Sites that Submitted Bids to Host | The Boneyard

43 Sites that Submitted Bids to Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
CAJDOUwWAAAMKtv.jpg

Not one Rocky Mtn Area State. Seems like Denver would be a great site to host a Regional. Also Kansas City.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
CAJDOUwWAAAMKtv.jpg

Not one Rocky Mtn Area State. Seems like Denver would be a great site to host a Regional. Also Kansas City.

New Mexico State won their conference tournament, the WAC. The northern part of New Mexico is part of the Southern Rockies.
New Mexico, the other team in the state, has a great sports venue, aka The Pit. The Lobo's averaged over 5600 per game for WBB. I would be willing to say that is in the top 10 for WBB.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting note about the Lobos. (Been following them and the Aggies just 'cause they're turnaround stories this year). I was in Albuquerque last week and the cabbie who picked me up was knowledgable about the team and coach - even knew Sanchez's name. While at the conference talking with some of the attendees - early childhood educators, not the "norm" for sports fans, much less women's basketball fans - there was some discussion of the inequity of pay for coaches and in particular for the fact that Sanchez had not gotten her renewal contract yet. The admin. was grousing she wasn't bringing in enough fans. Said my fellow attendees, first you gotta win, then you gotta advertise and THEN you get the fans.

It's been a long time since The Pit was a place to be feared (IIRC, longtime coach Flanagan quit rather unexpectedly.) Keep an eye on the Lobos to see if there's a coach opening and someone else reaps the benefits of Sanchez's skills.

FYI, former USC-west coach, Trakh, is taking the NMSt Aggies dancing for the first time since 1988. Exciting to see what folks can do. I'm a huge fan for big fishes in small ponds... 'cause some of those folks can make the leap to the big ponds - Bob Boldon, for instance, over at Ohio.... remember that name.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont know about Trakhs contract at NMSU, but with the opening at Utah, and Trakhs experience at USC/Pac12, I wouldn't be shocked if he goes for the job.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
New Mexico State isn't in the northern part of the state - its in Las Cruces, quite near El Paso.

I think they are doing construction at the Pit up at UNM?

Trakh is an unlikely hire for Utah IMO; he also isn't getting any younger.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It's been a long time since The Pit was a place to be feared (IIRC, longtime coach Flanagan quit rather unexpectedly.)

In 2011 at the age of 67, Flanagan retired after 32 years of coaching (16 at NM).

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yes, but this is what I remember - program was suddenly dropping: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6297024

Flanagan's retirement just comes one year too early.

He acknowledged Tuesday that he came back from spring break ready to work hard. He thought his team had some depth and would be a threat in the Mountain West Conference after some work in the offseason. Then one freshman told him she planned to leave the program, then another and another. In all, five wanted to leave. After being unable to persuade them otherwise, he decided that retiring would be the best move for the program.

The 67-year-old Flanagan said it would not have been fair to recruit so many new players with just one year left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom